How to deal with extreme hunger all the time...

Options
This is me all the time, even prior to my lifestyle change, not deprivation diet... How do you stop it? My doctor just said it could be a number of things and that was it.

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I personally opt for more nutrient dense food (and drinking a big glass of water before every meal) if i'm feeling hungry and that's usually enough. Everyone is different, though.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Embrace the hunger ... it's a good thing. It is OK to feel hungry. I like feeling just a little bit empty. :)

Also, have you been tested for stomach issues? Sometimes that can cause stomach pain that feels like hunger.

And have your blood sugar levels been tested? I tend toward low blood sugar, so what works for me is to eat often. I have a small snack about every 1.5 hours. I can still stay within my calorie limit doing that, but eating more frequently just makes me feel better.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I find that protein helps me. Two scrambled eggs or an ounce of cheddar cheese, a handful of roasted almonds. A slice of bread with mashed avocado or tuna. A bowl of brown rice and black beans. Half a banana with some peanut butter. Drink lots of water, to avoid dehydration and fatigue. (And just as an aside: Man, your doctor is a loser.)
  • Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you bored all the time? That is my issue and learned to drink water when hungry and keep myself busy on the computer when home. I like to study / play games to keep my mind occupied. My wife doesn't seem to mind it so much since building a mobile desk on wheels. I can stay busy and still spend time with her.
  • gnatseyelashes
    gnatseyelashes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've added more fat and foods high in fiber, really helps.
    For instance my breakfast smoothie contains flax meal - high in fiber & good fat
    Lunch will be something like beans (high in fiber) and I'll drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over them
    Dinner might be an omelete with salad (olive oil)
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert, but my suggestions are to always have a glass of water in hand (I drink water pretty well continuously throughout the day) and to not let more than 3 hours go by without eating something.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think maybe get a second opinion to be on the safe side. From your other thread, it seems like your doctor is more reactive than proactive, and if there *is* an underlying medical condition that's causing your hunger, you definitely want to know ASAP.

If you rule out any medical conditions and it's just plain old hunger, there are a couple of things you can try:

1. Stay busy - be active: exercise, do a hobby, go shopping, run errands, do chores around the house, etc. Stay entertained and avoid completely sedentary/not engrossing things like sitting and watching tv. The bonus is that the more active you are, the more calories you burn. If it's psychological hunger, being distracted will make it go away. If it's physiological hunger, being distracted can sometimes make you forget it (and ideally your body begins to adjust to fewer calories.)
    2. Sleep more - it's kind of depressing, and it's not the best long-term strategy, but going to bed earlier and sleeping in a little later means less time that you're hungry. I think it's helpful when you first start eating less to give your body time to adjust, and certainly being sleep-deprived will increase your appetite. It's not a great strategy long term because again, it's a little depressing, and your body burns fewer calories sleeping than being awake.
    3. Experiment with meal composition - you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight as long as the number of calories you eat is less than the number of calories you burn. However, in my experience, if I were to eat a 1200 calorie slice of cake and use up all my calories for the day, I'm going to be starving and miserable compared to if I had eaten 1200 calories worth of lean meat, dairy, vegetable, grains, etc. I don't know what you're eating now, but consider swapping out calorie-dense foods for lower calorie foods you can eat in larger quantities. How much protein are you eating? I find protein to be more satiating than carbs, and it's fewer calories per gram than fat so you can eat more food per calorie.
    4. Experiment with meal timing - some people do best eating a small snack every two hours. Some people like one big meal. I like "intermittent fasting" which for me means I delay breakfast as long as possible and have my first meal late in the day. I might get a wave of hunger in the morning around breakfast, but generally it passes in a minute, and once it's lunch time or so I pretty much don't have to feel hungry the rest of the day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would change your foods. What you are eating isn't working for you. Hunger is not maintainable.

Some find more fibre, protein or fat helps. Others, like me, find cutting carbs and sugar really reduces the appetite.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You haven't told us what your daily intake of macronutrients is, but I'll guess that you consistently are high in carbs.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Drink more water! I'm generally lethargic when I don't drink enough water. I have no idea what your sleep patterns are but that can effect your energy levels as well. Light stetches throughout the day will wake up your muclses too.
    I'd listen to uplifting music if I'm extremely tired: usually happens after a long night of cramming for a test lol. Hope this helps :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If there's something wrong with you medically, you should have that fixed. Yes, it can be a nunber of things, but that isn't helpful. But if you are indeed healthy, your doctor can't do anything for you anyway, so check out other possibilities as well:

If you are healthy, a feeling of extreme hunger can be caused by your diet, or your expectations/what you are used to, or a combination.

If you get in enough calories - which is either enough to keep your weight stable, or causing no more than a 1% loss of body weight per week, if you are overweight or normal weight - you're not eating too few calories. But you have to get in proper nutrition - quality, not just quantity. This is the reason for the "nagging" about 5-a-day, balance and variety. If you track macros (fat, protein and carbs), and hit MFP's default, a lot of ground will be covered. If you eat well every day - a suggestion can be 2 portions of fruit, 3 portions of vegetables, some dairy, meat/fish/eggs/beans, whole grains/starchy vegetables, nuts and seeds, butter and oils, and switch it up - you will get in proper nutrition. You don't have to cut out anything, but it can be a good idea to reserve snacks, sweets, soda etc for special occasions.

If you are well fed, and healthy, the hunger you feel, is normal, good, and to be expected. You can ignore hunger if you want to, and just eat appropriately. But if you pay attention, you will start to notice that hunger isn't static, it fluctuates through the day, it gets stronger before a meal, and a little weaker some time after you've eaten. You will learn that what you call hunger, is often appetite or cravings. If you're busy doing something, you may even forget to eat. You can experiment with meal timing - maybe many small meals, or a few larger, is better for you. You will learn that hunger isn't an emergency. If you have a good meal waiting, it can even feel good to wait for it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. You can lose weight without being hungry all the time. Play around with your macros. You may need to increase protein and fat while reducing refined carbs. Just make sure you still get plenty of fibre as this is also quite filling. Play around with food timing. Some cope better eating smaller meals frequently while others do well eating all of their food in 6 hour period. Drink more water and get more active. Exercise will give you more calories to eat. Change your goals so they are less aggressive. If you have put down a 2 pound a week weight loss, reduce it to 1, or if it is 1 reduce it to 1/2. It took a long time for most of us to get get to the size were are/were but we want a quick fix. These quick fixes are more likely to result in yoyo dieting while slow and steady, eating foods that we can stick with for life make a long term lifestyle change which will keep the pounds off.
  • skellious
    skellious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    More Fruit and Veg, Nuts, a little full-fat yoghurt and make sure you're getting enough protein. If you're exercising, make sure to log it correctly as this earns you more calories. (it's better to exercise more and eat more than to do no exercise and eat less.) You 100% do not have to feel hungry whilst losing weight. I'm losing 2lbs / week and never feel hungry except when it's time to eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This is me all the time, even prior to my lifestyle change, not deprivation diet... How do you stop it? My doctor just said it could be a number of things and that was it.

you didn't ask what those things were?
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do you have heart burn or reflux issues? When I forget to take my meds a lot of my heart burn masquerades as feeling ravenously hungry, the type where your stomach hurts and the only way to get rid of it for a bit is more food ... I feel far less hungry when I remember my medication which is so weird
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I also think you should get a second opinion from a different doctor.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I had this insatiable feeling because of PCOS (increased hunger, but diabetes, pre diabetes or poor/not enough sleep can have this effect too) and IBS (if I feel too hungry I get bad stomach cramps), things that help are increasing protein (but also eliminating trigger foods), small deficit and exercise (both cardio and strength). The exercise also helps me two fold, it alleviates the symptoms and I earn more calories to eat. There are also other reasons you might feel hungry when you're not such as mental health issues or boredom. But noone can diagnose you over a forum. x

I really think you need to get your doctor to explore the reasons why, in the meantime I can't recommend exercise enough for earning some extra cals. xxx
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It's hard to really know where the problem may lie without additional information. I can say though, that I have this problem all the time and I *think* it has less to do with what I'm eating but rather the amount I'm eating (could be not enough - I've been trying to figure out just how much I need based on my age, activity, etc. I've also been in "diet mode" for so long - I don't think this is good for the body over the long term. I also don't sleep well and until the last couple of years probably had an over-production of cortisol (long story short, I slept very little, had a stressful job and commuted more than 20+hours a week), which ALSO doesn't help.

so I think you have to take a good honest look at what you are eating, when and if it's enough and also do NOT go for aggressive weight loss goals. this is a lifelong venture, it's not about "as fast as possible". I would also recommend getting blood work done - a raised cortisol level or deficiency in some vitamins and minerals could add to the mix. And be as active as you can and try to get enough sleep.