I'm 30 years old, 230lbs at 5'8" and have 150/106 BP... I'm scared.

Options
I'm scared... I've changed my eating habits to low sodium and healthier choices... I've lost over 5lbs so far... Any words from similar folks? Thank you...

Replies

• lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. Let fear motivate you, not paralyze you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here have made big changes!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure for 20 years and took meds. With bp that high, for safety I'd imagine you are on meds? I've spent six months in the gym working my tail off and eating right and I can tell you the best part is now I am completely off bp meds. No surgery, no low carb, no cleanses, no starving just plain old commitment. Hard cardio and lifting, sleep and water. Friend me if you'd like. I can help support. I will say, no matter what anyone tells you, check with your doc to make sure what you decide to do is right for you.
  • hunkofmexican
    hunkofmexican Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow , i was a smoker for many years and now paying the price of it.
    I have lost a lot of weight and continue to eat healthy ,
    but my BP goes from 120/80 to 149/??? in seconds if i get excited ,
    take your health seriously and keep in touch with your doctor on this ,
    you are far too young , but young enough to make a change sooner then i did ,
    even tho you do not look like a smoker , never start , and if you do , think of me ,
    i wish i never smoked ever in my life , but i have to work with it the best i can ,
    and so do you with what ever caused you to have high BP.

Start realizing that you need to get this done NOW.
    Start everyday with some kind of walk or what ever you can do to increase your exercising.
    When you crave to stop at a fast food place , remember ,
    these places are what are causing you to increase your BP.
    High in sodium and CHEEP Artery clogging FATS.

Better all around to eat at home or take the time to pack a lunch.

like the woman before me said, ---> Let fear motivate you, not paralyze you!

It's what helps me.
    Best of luck to you.

2948974561_7a06163c03.jpg
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You know when im cooking i found cooking spray olive oil really good, makes me use alot less than I was, if u build your meals around vegetables it will all turn out ok. Xx
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You could steam your food. its quiet popular in Asia. I do like to steam veggies n dumplings. I think the main point is not to give up some goes the body takes time to show improvements.

I hope a doctor is monitoring you closely you can check too if and what kind of sport is recommended. My father in law'managed to improve blood pressure and cholesterol by changing diet and walking.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track making healthier choices and reducing sodium, losing the weight in itself will probably do a lot to improve your numbers, but you should probably also think about getting some exercise.

You don't need to spend hours in the gym, it doesn't need to be too strenuous or anything, start simple by walking, you'll be amazed at the difference it can make!

This is a good place to help you on your way, it's a very simple process, but it won't always be easy, power through the tough spots until you come out the other side, keep going and you'll be fine!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Save your life. You only get one. Is this what you want to do with yours?

I weighed 285lbs, HBP, a CPAP, and what seemed like a permanent cough. I think I didn't care if I lived or died. But then it occurred to me that a debilitating stroke was more likely than just dropping dead. That really scared me.

It was December. Figured I'd make the New Year resolution. But I was afraid I might not make another week, so I started on Christmas. No last blast for me.

You don't say, are you working with a Dr? That comes first.

You don't say, have you calculated a moderate calorie deficit and set up on MFP to keep a food journal? Did you talk to your Dr about starting a walking program? A cal deficit, food journal and walking will work. Trust the process.

Oh, and get your head ready to take the time to let the process work. And think in advance how you will cope when discouraged.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Scared of what?
  • Rebbulingur
    Rebbulingur Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lots of veg, cut out most of red meat, and don't touch processed food. Chicken breast is good and all sorts of beans and nuts. You'll be fine if you make the change now. Exercise. Start with walking.. go for long walks. Good luck <3
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm scared... I've changed my eating habits to low sodium and healthier choices... I've lost over 5lbs so far... Any words from similar folks? Thank you...

It sounds like you're on the right track. Weight loss, diet and exercise should bring your BP down soon.

FYI, don't drink caffeine for several hours before you check your BP or go to the doctor to have it checked. Caffeine can raise your blood pressure.

Also, I was told to drink more water and that will bring BP down.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Baby steps and keep at it. Make it a habit and don't overwhelm yourself and think you need to do everything at once. Consistently log, even if you're going over, and make better choices. Then build on top of that - slow and steady really does win the race.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Small changes that become consistent habits will get you where you want to be. Eat foods that are nutritious, begin an exercise program you might enjoy such as walking, biking, whatever. You can do this.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Track your food. I started out at 1750 calories a day but I dropped it to 1400 calories since I was down to 30 lbs. I'm down to 40 lbs now. I eat fruit, coffee and toast/peanut butter for breakfast. I eat Sara Lee 45 calorie a slice bread.
    I have my ups and downs but I'm consistently going down. It's not hard and you have to remember that it is a slow process.
    Good luck!!
    Dana
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Did I mention I had back surgery a year ago and have difficulty exercising?