50lbs?! My oh My!

Hi, can I really do this? I am a little nervous. I've list wait before but my fear is more saggy skin. Lifting weights is not an option. I really don't think it will work. I would become a body builder if I had to start lifting to fill in my flab. Seriously. I live in a house of fit people. Husband works out daily. My son 17 is working out and wanting to join the military after high school. My daughter 22, is in the Marine Corp. What? How can I compete with all that. Lol! Here's to another try at this.

Replies

• MeriAnn71
    MeriAnn71 Posts: 3 Member
    Typo...lost weight. Not list wait. Sorry
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    MeriAnn71 wrote: »
    Hi, can I really do this? I am a little nervous. I've list wait before but my fear is more saggy skin. Lifting weights is not an option. I really don't think it will work. I would become a body builder if I had to start lifting to fill in my flab. Seriously. I live in a house of fit people. Husband works out daily. My son 17 is working out and wanting to join the military after high school. My daughter 22, is in the Marine Corp. What? How can I compete with all that. Lol! Here's to another try at this.

You can do it. I just saw another member complaining about having to lose 100 lbs. You've got half the job to do. Also, you're surrounded by good examples. Don't compare yourself negatively to them. Use them as positive support for the road ahead.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited July 2017
    weight train, it will fill in some of the flab, and looking toned is better than skinny fat. Muscle burns calories so it will help with keeping weight off, not to mention the other neurological benefits. If you're worried about looking like a body builder....don't, it really takes dedication and a lot of work to get to that level. Muscle is your friend. Just ask some of the MFP ladies for their before and after lifting pics.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    You can totally do this! I know its way easier said than done, but don’t let your family members’ abilities or fitness level intimidate/discourage you. This process is about you getting to a healthy place for yourself, not how you stack up to them. Everyone starts somewhere – if you’re not ready for weights or just uninterested, then don’t do it! I started 85 pounds ago just walking outside or on the treadmill with occasional Zumba classes. I am now lifting weights and really love it. I have found that it is helping with loose skin, but beyond that it helps take the focus off of just how much you weigh and helps you see how strong your body can be, regardless of the scale which really keeps me going. But the bottom line is that the best exercise for you is the one you will do consistently.

Just stick in there and don’t get too discouraged. You may even just want to start with the diet aspect and add exercise in later. Eating at the calorie deficit will result in weight loss, exercise is just a tool to help you create the deficit, build muscle, and improve health but it isn’t necessary for weight loss.
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    MeriAnn Im losing 50 and really im getting there. Quicker than I expected. Add me if you like. Happy to help if you want, but im not big on exercise it just bulks me up.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    You can absolutely do it! I'm now 3lb away from reaching my target of a 48lb loss, so it's definitely achievable :smile: