Weighing in and shift work

Options
How do you time your weigh ins when doing rotating shift work? For instance, I work 2 days. 2 nights , and then 4 off. When should I weigh in?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Pick the "morning" after sleeping of the most valid day to minimize known water weight fluctuations as best you can.

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

You could have multiple valid mornings, whenever they happen to occur.

Be aware that stress causes water weight retention too, so if up many hours is stressful, perhaps the next morning not a good idea.
    Unless you are just curious about water weight changes.
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Shift work is an absolute killer. The best thing I ever did was get off it by retiring early. My job was rotating shifts, all nights wouldn't have been so bad but they won't let you do all nights because of Fatigue Management.

Anyway, I know this doesn't help much if you have to do it, but shift work is a factor in weight gain and poor health, just because it is more difficult to eat regular meals and sleep regular hours. Things like the phone ringing or people turning up in the day while you are sleeping, or just environmental noise.

All I can suggest is be aware of these things. Hopefully your employer offers support but plenty don't.
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am also work shifts, rotating weekly night -> midday -> morning, and i weight myself after sleeping no matter what time it is
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I would definitely pick it as a morning you have slept well the night before.