Doctor said not to reach a healthy bmi?

Options
randilyn2013
randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently got serious about my weightloss and following a 6 week check up for a non weight related issue lost 16lbs at the doctors office. My doctor was happy with my loss but when I mentioned the "healthy" weight range for my height she discouraged losing that much. Saying I should keep a bit of "adult weight" on and she didn't want me to have to be carded anytime I wanted a glass of wine.. I'm 22 and 5'2" for their office I started at 191 and weighed 175 yesterday and her recommended weight was around 150lbs rather than around 135. I don't get why she would recommend me to stay overweight??

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's an odd comment. I'm 5'6" and like to be around 130.
    Did she have another reason for that weight other than looking old enough to drink?

granted, that said, I've had TWO doctors suggest that I NOT lose my recent menopause ten pounds. I'm going to anyway. As I know where I feel best.
  • randilyn2013
    randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    She didn't mention any health reasons to not lose the weight and I had asked her if she was okay with the quick loss and she didn't seem to mind. I also had my wisdom teeth taken out in that time frame.

My entire life I have been overweight and reaching a goal of another 40lbs is still really far away. I have been on a low cal diet (1200-1300) but I'm also keto and have been exercising regularly. I literally never go to bed hungry.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Why not get to 160 and reassess with doctor then
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My doctor tells me she's just fine with my weight (I'm 5'6", 165 lbs), which is about 11 lbs outside of the healthy BMI for my height. Sounded odd to me, too, but I intend to keep losing.
    Does she know details about how you are losing weight? No history of EDs or anything?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Um, sounded like she was hitting on you :o

I'm 38, 5ft 6in and current weight is 126lbs/bmi is 20.3. At my last physical in June my new doctor and I spent a lot of time talking about my weight maintenance plan, (his background is in sports medicine and nutrition). He told me to not go any lower than my current maintenance range, 125lbs-130lbs, but again-I'm already at the lower end of the healthy bmi range. Weird that she wants you to stay so high!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'll hold back, though I'm tempted to tell you to get a new doctor.

Perhaps your doctor is telling you that you 'don't need to' lose any more weight, from a long-term health perspective? You use your doc for his/her objective medical opinion--and you should consider that to be the limit of his/her usefulness. Though in that case, the doctor is also failing to consider the long-term health benefits of a positive self-image, a valuable side-benefit of weight loss.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Doctors are not always right. I could be pushing up daisies if I took their advice.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it either, especially at your age. If you were an older woman I might see why she was saying that:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/simin-nikbin-meydani/a-few-extra-pounds-is-beneficial_b_9358608.html
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor what she meant. Someone mentioned thinking their doctor wants them at a certain weight so they'll depend on them for blood pressure meds and I would've thought that way too had I not worked at a doctors office (receptionist). Most of the time the doctor hopes they never see you again! Ha.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That is a very odd thing for a doctor to say. You have lost quickly which could be driving the concern. I would continue losing until you reach a point that you are comfortable at. My doctor told me I didn't need to go any lower 20 pounds ago. What I find has happened with alot of my friends and acquaintences is that they are used to seeing me so much heavier that they are thrown by the difference. Also I lose in my face first so I look a bit gaunt right now. I know once I am on maintenance that will improve. It is your body and unless you have flirted with eating disorders I would say you are the best judge of what is the most comfortable weight for your age and height. At my age (60) I can see my doctor having some concern that I need to keep a few pounds in case of illness but you are young. Take it one step at a time and congratulaltions on your loss already! You have done really well. Be aware that as you get closer to your goal your rate of loss may slow down. Take your time and enjoy the learning process. You are doing a great job.
  • rparkerslim
    rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Why not ask your doctor why she wants you higher?

That's the best idea I've heard so far! I'm 5 ft. 2in and my optimal weight is 141lbs. I personally think that's too low. I think all of the suggested weights are really too low! But that's just my opinion, and as my husband says, "Everybody's got one!"