Do you work out when you're sick (a cold)?

Options
I've been sick for the past three days with a cold. I'm not on my deathbed by any means but I feel pretty crummy- headache, congestion, runny nose- all the normal delightful symptoms. Do you still go to the gym when you're sick? I usually lift weights and do some light cardio every other day but I skipped yesterday. I was thinking I'd try for today but I'm still feeling like my head is an over-inflated balloon. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ErinMichelle31
    ErinMichelle31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad cold recently. I had everything you describe. I took the first three days off, and went back in on the fourth day. For the next week I kept it pretty light, but I think the working out actually made me feel better. My sinuses would clear up a bit, and I just felt more like my normal self. I think it's ok, but you have to listen to your body. If it is screaming at you to rest then rest. If, after a nap or somethign, you feel like you could squeeze a short one in, then go for it. Just stop if you feel too weak or dizzy, and don't workout at full capacity as you normally would. Good luck!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I take off. No need to get others sick or make it worse.
    Chicken soup and binge watching bad TV shows.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No because it just makes me sicker and spreads germs.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sick I feel and whether I think I can effectively workout. I've also taken a day off, feeling just fine, because I wanted to ;-)

If you're feeling too bad to workout, don't work out. Missing a couple of days won't hurt much.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll go for an easy bike ride when I feel like that, just to get out. Don't want real exercise or to stress my lungs, just to cure the cabin fever.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Unless I have a fever or full blown infection, I will still work out (usually running), but I definitely take it easy on myself and don't overdo it. Usually I find that an easy workout makes me feel better. I would definitely stay away from the gym though. In addition to the reasons stated above, it is one of the last places I would want to be when my immune system is already weakened. The gym is a pretty germy place in it's own right and can be that difference that takes you from pesky cold to nasty virus.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If my symptoms are above the neck only (and I feel up to it), then yes.
    Any symptoms below the neck, then no. (So cough or whatever.)

I was taught that years ago by a rowing coach, and it works really well for me.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Depends on how severe. If I can, I'll do something relatively gentle at home. I don't bring my colds to the gym.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    If my symptoms are above the neck only (and I feel up to it), then yes.
    Any symptoms below the neck, then no. (So cough or whatever.)

I was taught that years ago by a rowing coach, and it works really well for me.

That's what I learned on the running forums as well. If I try to run with a cough, it just gets worse. If I don't have a cough and don't have a fever, I'll do an easy run or get on my stationary bike. Sometimes I can sweat the cold out.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bring my germs to the gym and subject the other gym patrons to my cold, but I might go for a run/bike ride/walk/etc depending on whether I felt ok vs man-flu-ish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've been sick for the past three days with a cold. I'm not on my deathbed by any means but I feel pretty crummy- headache, congestion, runny nose- all the normal delightful symptoms. Do you still go to the gym when you're sick? I usually lift weights and do some light cardio every other day but I skipped yesterday. I was thinking I'd try for today but I'm still feeling like my head is an over-inflated balloon. Any suggestions?

No...depending on how bad it was, I might do something at home that is pretty light or I might just rest...usually I just rest and let my body get better...but I wouldn't go to the gym and spread that nastiness around to my friends.

If you have any respiratory issues below the neck, you're just going to make things worse and prolong things if you workout.

It's ok to take time off to rest and recover...it does the body good.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I'm sick I stay home. My need to train doesn't trump the need of all my fellow gym mates to stay healthy.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Of course. I've put up some of my best numbers when sick.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and with long walks. So, it's pretty much what I feel up to. Sometimes, in the winter, I have a cold because of issues with the heating/humidifier etc and going out for a brisk walk clears it up. If it's a seasonal cold, I'm likely to take an allergy med and push through. But if I've got fever? If all I want to do is lie down and sleep? Then maybe my body's telling me something I need to listen to.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have just asked if you work out when sick, not really if you go to the gym when sick. I have some weights at home and sometimes go for a jog around the neighborhood but wasn't sure if I should push through the crummy feelings and get my sweat on, or if I should curl up in bed. I might just go for a long walk. A little activity might make me feel better.... bed sure sounds good though.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick I prefer to stay at home rather than working out. I have asthma so if I get a cold or flu it makes my breathing worse and working out doesn't help it at all and I can't get the best workout that I want. Plus I just feel miserable the entire time. Blankets, soup and binge watching shows is the best thing to do until you feel better.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Just a cold, yes I workout because it is actually one of the times I am actually able to breathe. I do something a lot less stressful than my normal routine, like just walking on the treadmill vs. kickboxing or heavy lifting. When I had the flu, strep, or stomach virus, no...its just not happening.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have just asked if you work out when sick, not really if you go to the gym when sick. I have some weights at home and sometimes go for a jog around the neighborhood but wasn't sure if I should push through the crummy feelings and get my sweat on, or if I should curl up in bed. I might just go for a long walk. A little activity might make me feel better.... bed sure sounds good though.

In my experience, doing too much while sick just prolongs the situation...I'd much rather rest for 2 or 3 days than spend a week or more trying to get better while all along my workouts would be pretty crummy and not particularly meaningful to my fitness.

I had a pretty nasty cold last winter that lasted about a week in total...the first couple of days were pretty miserable and I didn't even have a passing thought about working out...I just slept a lot. By the 3rd day I was feeling notably better...still took off work, but I felt well enough to get out of the house a bit and took the dog for a nice walk. By the end of the weekend I was feeling pretty much normal and back to my usual routine.

I think it really just comes down to how sick you are and knowing yourself and your body and whether you need rest or not, though sometimes I think exercise obsession clouds this for many people because they feel like they've somehow failed or they're weak if they take some recuperation time.