Weight Gain Post-Bathroom

Options
I apologize for this post, but I will be as least graphic as possible.

My entire life I have battled digestive problems where my body has a hard time letting go of waste if I do not adhere to a certain diet. Even with that, I once in a while will go through a period where my body will hold onto waste for days and bloat until I painfully pass it and then I get the runs.

You would think that after being cleaned out I would lose weight, but it is the opposite for me. I will gain up to five pounds after the fact and while it is temporary, it can sometimes take a week before I magically lose the pounds as sudden as they came.

Could the weight gain be just water retention? I am always sure to hydrate extra well when this happens since it is a dehydrating process, but it does not help me release the excess water my body may be holding onto.

It is just annoying because when this happens, it suppresses my appetite.

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It almost definitely is water weight.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Water weight because of inflammation I would guess. I would sure try to figure out what is causing the digestive upset to get off this cycle. My family has ceoliac disease, lactose intolerance, a cheese problem separate from the lactose problem, so I do understand. But it is so worth experimenting with your diet, talking to your doctor to stop the upset.

My other advice, if you are trying to lose weight, is to get off the scales! Not entirely obviously. But I have found a weekly weigh in instead of daily has made all the difference with weigh loss. No other change but a huge change in losing, week over week. Getting on the scales messes with your head. Just stay the course, choose a weigh in day, and keep going.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Have you ever tried a probiotic? They helped me get regular. I have also found that taking magnesium at night helps with sleep and "move" things in the morning. (my diet is often deficient in magnesium).
    Make sure you tell your doctor. Log everything since a doctor may look at your food diary.
    Be aware that products to help bm's you could cause your body to become dependent.