Day 2 and I have to go out for dinner and drinks..help

Options
So I started my diet yesterday and i'm loving this site but now have the dilema of going out for dinner and drinks...it's my mum's retirement function so I can't really miss it also I need to get used to going out and being able to keep my diet in check...is it ok to go over the calorie intake every so often.....ideas on what to eat and what to drink....i do quite like a few drinks possibly why i've had to start a diet lol

Replies

• NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Most resturants are nice enough to have nutritional menu available on site. Know what are you taking in is the biggest step in moving forward. Even bar drinks have set calories and places like TGIF you can ask the bartender about the nurtitional drink menu.

Other resturants have them posted online.

The biggest key is to see the numbers, know what is going in.

With those weapons on your side it allows you to make better choices when selecting what you want to eat or drink while you are out or at parties.

If you are not going to a resturant try to find out what type of food will bet here and look up the calories and values of the foods. Walk in feeling empowered knowing what is good and what is bad.
  • timgordon24
    Options
    For me, whenever I go out to eat, if there's alot of food being served & the calories c, grab a small portion of EVERYthing!
  • timgordon24
    Options
    For me, whenever I go out to eat, if there's alot of food being served & the calories cant be properly counted, grab a small portion of EVERYthing... and count each piece as circa 200 calories each. Drinks should be easy to keep in check, but be sure to always start with a glass/bottle of water. Also, eat a side dish of salad to start the meal. It'll help u not seem as starved :)
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    I would have a look online and see if the restaurant has a website, with the menu on, that way you can plan your meal carefully beforehand and then dont get tempted when you get there..
    If your going for the 3 course meal, just skip the starter and dessert, and have something heallthy like a chicken salad for the main ..
    If you like a drink, try and stay away from calorie filled wine, and have vodka or gin with slim line tonic as a lot less calories.. stay away from cocktails !!
    it really depends on what kind of restaurant you are going too... but most restaurants have salads on there..
    just remember your out to have fun, and you can still do that whilst thinking beforehand about what your putting in your body !.
    good luck and enjoy x
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Where are you going? You can check-out the menu online beforehand so you have a plan

A few general rules for eating out

* Don't have 3 courses (share a starter and dessert if you have to have them)
    * If the restaurant do kids meals then order one of those [I find this easier at lunchtimes in less 'posh' places LOL]
    * Avoid complimentary bread / bread sticks etc
    * Avoid anything deep fried or covered in cheese
    * Opt for lean meats
    * Opt for tomato based sauces
    * If you have a choice of sides avoid chips - got for salad or veg or new potatoes
    * Ask for salad minus dressing
    * Eat something light an hour before you go out so you are not ravenous
    * Drink lots of water

You can still drink alcohol but avoid beer, cider, wine and stick to vodka and low cal mixers. Although when I drink I am much more likely to overeat and if I drink too much I get horrible hangover muchies the next day? I try to limit my drinking these days - I will have a few drinks tomorrow but I will exercise to earn the calories and make sure I have some healthy snacks to stop me eating crap!!
  • skinnerc1
    skinnerc1 Posts: 12
    Options
    thanks to all who have posted....great idea to look up the menu before i go....i have already made a meal plan for today I put on my anticipated drinks 1st lol then worked out my meals around it. I have to say I'm finding this site great as I now know what I can have within my limits. I think i will also go for a run as I'm ever so slightly over hey I could get an extra drink or maybe put on my wise hat and have a heathy snack before I go out. Wish me luck
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    hehe, good luck!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just a guess, but you probably don't HAVE to have a drink. You could get a sensible meal and have water, or diet coke and save all those calories from alcohol.
  • skinnerc1
    skinnerc1 Posts: 12
    Options
    no way at the end of the week i like to kick back and have a few drinks......if i'm working hard through diet, fitness and general day to day family/work activities i deserve to have what i want within moderation ofcourse......some people like a desert after dinner, I like a little vodka lol each to their own i assume.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    sure its ok..but it is entirely possible to watch your calories when going out.. order a small meal..or a meal that consists mostly of baked goods..or veggies. lay off the butters, oils, breads. and for drinks..no one said you HAVE to drink alcohol..and besides if you MUST..have a drink with a diet coke..like rum and diet coke. rum, vodka, etc..liquors are low in calorie actually..i make myself a vodka drink with no sugar reduced cal cranberry..and its about 60 cals per 8oz
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    no way at the end of the week i like to kick back and have a few drinks......if i'm working hard through diet, fitness and general day to day family/work activities i deserve to have what i want within moderation ofcourse......some people like a desert after dinner, I like a little vodka lol each to their own i assume.

Me too! I'd much rather have a drink than a dessert!

eta that most hard alcohol has about 70 calories per ounce, but I suspect that the pour is usually about 2 ounces in most bars...maybe there are some bartenders on here who could chime in?