30day Yoga Challenge (- what are these challenges like?!)

Options
Hi Everyone,
I have started a 30 Day Yoga Challenge! (Day 3)

I am addicted to fast shredding, dramatic before and after pictures and quick results (.. doubt I am alone with this one) which I have google imaged at least daily through the highs and lows of my weight loss journey the past 3 years. But this short lived enthusiastic high is quickly (normally around week 6) followed by a low - weight gain, low self esteem, joint pain and then realisation that pictures can be manipulated, life is to crazy for having just 1 priority and then.. I go back around in the same old cycle.

So a 30 day challenge, sounds like the start of another cycle.. but I am hoping it will be different. There are no dramatic before and after pictures on google (I have already checked!) and I hope that the mind and body alignment will give me a little more mental tenacity to avoid the low self esteem afterwards.

Story over.. I am just wondering has anyone else committed to a daily activity/challenges. How did you find it? What advice have you got? What did you do after it? And does anyone practise yoga regularly, does it help you?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I just started a 30 day yoga challenge. I have done yoga on and off for the longest time but never long enough to make a daily practice of it. I wanted to see if a 30 day challenge could set me on the right course. As far as yoga is concerned, as we get older, flexibility and balance become more important so it felt like the right idea. Also a great way to practice mindfulness through a moving meditation...
  • townleyra
    townleyra Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Does the thought of missing a day in the challenge worry you? Which 30 day yoga source are you using?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    It does a little in the sense that I want to commit to this and make it a daily practice.
    I am doing Yoga with Tim. Found it on YouTube...
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Heya, I'm on the 5th (5 more days till I begin the 6th) round of my daily yoga thing (not very fond of calling it a challenge). I follow Yoga With Adriene's Revolution: 31 Days of Yoga, and previously completed 2 rounds of her Yoga Camp: 30 Day Home Practice.

I've always had an on-and-off love affair with yoga and would go from doing it daily when I lived in a surf town, or when I was back home visiting the fam, to not stepping onto my mat for 2 months at a time.

Yoga With Adriene changed that for me. Her way of instruction is so focused on finding what feels good for the individual yogi that every practice became an act of self-love. (: The first 2 rounds I did 1 video a day (average length of only 30 minutes), but I've upped it to 2 videos a day (average 1 hour). I often come to my mat cranky but never fail to step off the mat with lifted spirits! Some days I skip cardio/glute exercises or even eat over my calories, but I never fail to come to the mat unless I'm hella sick.

You should take a look at one of her videos and see for yourself. I'd suggest you not approach yoga as yet another challenge but as building a lifelong habit. It's done so much for my emotional health and has changed a significant part of my outlook on life. (: Good luck and metta!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do 3-5 days of yoga a week. It's not a challenge; I just like it. :)
  • J72FIT
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »
    Heya, I'm on the 5th (5 more days till I begin the 6th) round of my daily yoga thing (not very fond of calling it a challenge). I follow Yoga With Adriene's Revolution: 31 Days of Yoga, and previously completed 2 rounds of her Yoga Camp: 30 Day Home Practice.

I've always had an on-and-off love affair with yoga and would go from doing it daily when I lived in a surf town, or when I was back home visiting the fam, to not stepping onto my mat for 2 months at a time.

Yoga With Adriene changed that for me. Her way of instruction is so focused on finding what feels good for the individual yogi that every practice became an act of self-love. (: The first 2 rounds I did 1 video a day (average length of only 30 minutes), but I've upped it to 2 videos a day (average 1 hour). I often come to my mat cranky but never fail to step off the mat with lifted spirits! Some days I skip cardio/glute exercises or even eat over my calories, but I never fail to come to the mat unless I'm hella sick.

You should take a look at one of her videos and see for yourself. I'd suggest you not approach yoga as yet another challenge but as building a lifelong habit. It's done so much for my emotional health and has changed a significant part of my outlook on life. (: Good luck and metta!

I like that she calls it a journey...
  • townleyra
    townleyra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    30days with Adriene is the one I have settled on, I tried some others with the sun flow which where just to much for me and left me exhausted and stressed that I couldn't keep up. But I decided to do the 30 day with Adriene because she tells you to smile, to think about why you are there and other positive mental places to go to.
    I really am enjoying her style!
  • J72FIT
    Options
    townleyra wrote: »
    30days with Adriene is the one I have settled on, I tried some others with the sun flow which where just to much for me and left me exhausted and stressed that I couldn't keep up. But I decided to do the 30 day with Adriene because she tells you to smile, to think about why you are there and other positive mental places to go to.
    I really am enjoying her style!

I do as well. I am going to try hers next...
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 8 of the Beachbody 21 day yoga retreat. (I kinda love that they call it a retreat instead of a challenge.)

I was doing P90X3 and ended up in the ER 2 weeks ago thinking I was having a heart attack. (It was just pulled muscles through my back and chest, luckily.) I decided to give my body a break from the intensity and I have to say I'm loving my yoga time.