Breaking the Cycle

Options
Breaking the Cycle

We all have thousands of beliefs, both positive and negative, that cause us to perceive ourselves and the world around us in certain ways. These beliefs will also cause us to act and react in various ways when faced with the opportunity for growth or change.

The effects of our beliefs are not as abstract as some might think. We each behave in absolute accordance with what our internal beliefs are at any given time. You may say, for example, that you really want to release the extra twenty pounds of weight that has taken residence around your midsection. Why is it, then, that day after day something always seems interfere with your plans to exercise or make healthy food choices?

Breaking Free

Are your thoughts and beliefs supporting the person you want to become? Are they part of the paradigm of who you want to be or become or are they limiting you and those around you? It is quite likely that many of the core beliefs you have today have gone unchallenged.

We can override our beliefs temporarily using our will power, but over the long haul, the internal image we have of our self or a situation will always win. If you say that you want to release extra weight yet believe that it is impossible for you to do so for whatever reason, the weight simply won't budge. My family has a genetic propensity toward obesity and I have been much heavier in the past. I chose to believe that I could have a different body size, worked with wellness coaches, and gravitated easily to a vegan, athletic lifestyle. While I am not a size two, I am comfortable in my skin.

My sister resorted to surgery to shed the extra 120 pounds she was carrying. Prior to the surgery, she constantly insisted she had "tried everything" to lose the excess weight and was convinced that surgery was her only option.

Resetting the Autopilot

Small decisions made consistently over time affect an amazing range of things in our lives. My sister openly refused to exercise and routinely replaced or supplemented meals with less healthy food choices, arguing instead that she was counting calories.

In actuality, she had decided surgery was her answer and that belief overrode every other viable alternative.

Breaking the Cycle

It is critical to evaluate the results in your life and to understand the true, underlying cause that is creating your current results. The good news is that with awareness we really can effectuate change and that a belief, at it's root, is nothing more than an opinion that has gone unchallenged.

"When we are no longer able to change a situation,
we are challenged to change ourselves." ~Victor Frankl

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Breaking the Cycle

We all have thousands of beliefs, both positive and negative, that cause us to perceive ourselves and the world around us in certain ways. These beliefs will also cause us to act and react in various ways when faced with the opportunity for growth or change.

The effects of our beliefs are not as abstract as some might think. We each behave in absolute accordance with what our internal beliefs are at any given time. You may say, for example, that you really want to release the extra twenty pounds of weight that has taken residence around your midsection. Why is it, then, that day after day something always seems interfere with your plans to exercise or make healthy food choices?

Breaking Free

Are your thoughts and beliefs supporting the person you want to become? Are they part of the paradigm of who you want to be or become or are they limiting you and those around you? It is quite likely that many of the core beliefs you have today have gone unchallenged.

We can override our beliefs temporarily using our will power, but over the long haul, the internal image we have of our self or a situation will always win. If you say that you want to release extra weight yet believe that it is impossible for you to do so for whatever reason, the weight simply won't budge. My family has a genetic propensity toward obesity and I have been much heavier in the past. I chose to believe that I could have a different body size, worked with wellness coaches, and gravitated easily to a vegan, athletic lifestyle. While I am not a size two, I am comfortable in my skin.

My sister resorted to surgery to shed the extra 120 pounds she was carrying. Prior to the surgery, she constantly insisted she had "tried everything" to lose the excess weight and was convinced that surgery was her only option.

Resetting the Autopilot

Small decisions made consistently over time affect an amazing range of things in our lives. My sister openly refused to exercise and routinely replaced or supplemented meals with less healthy food choices, arguing instead that she was counting calories.

In actuality, she had decided surgery was her answer and that belief overrode every other viable alternative.

Breaking the Cycle

It is critical to evaluate the results in your life and to understand the true, underlying cause that is creating your current results. The good news is that with awareness we really can effectuate change and that a belief, at it's root, is nothing more than an opinion that has gone unchallenged.

"When we are no longer able to change a situation,
    we are challenged to change ourselves." ~Victor Frankl
  • megan0313
    Options
    Beautifully said!!! Thank you so much for sharing that! :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Beautifully said!!! Thank you so much for sharing that! :heart:
    :flowerforyou: Thanks when I saw it I thought it might help many of us so thought I'd share it here.:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • jtomlinson
    Options
    Beautifully said....and I love your quote about life and not waiting for the storm to pass but to learn to dance in the rain. It is perfectly fitting for my life right now and it gave me a little extra push when I read it today.

Thank you
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Beautifully said....and I love your quote about life and not waiting for the storm to pass but to learn to dance in the rain. It is perfectly fitting for my life right now and it gave me a little extra push when I read it today.

Thank you
    Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :heart: