2 shakes 1 meal

Options
Hi there has anyone does this kind of diet if so how much were you able to lose? I'm planning on doing it for a month mostly to kick start my weight loss and then slowly wing of the shakes and just eat healthy and less carbs as I have something called PCOS it's a hormonal thing and my body doesn't do well in carbs .

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is just another way of getting a calorie deficit. If you're in a deficit you'll lose - the amount depends on how much of a deficit you're in. You'll probably gain some back when you start eating real food again since it doesn't really teach you any good sustainable habits.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Multiple threads same subject...........not cool.

Here's my response in the other thread:

I did shakes for weight loss, was hungry all the time, lost the weight, then gained the weight back because I learned nothing about my eating habits.

The problem with shakes is they may not be filling for you. We're not all the same regarding foods we find satiating. Protein, fiber, and fat are the usual suspects but it's a different combo for everyone. That's a good thing to figure out, because it will help during maintenance.

The problem with shakes is they don't show you where your faults are. Measuring & logging takes an effort (that shakes don't require). That effort will give you tools that will help during maintenance (portion control).

The problem with shakes is they aren't eating and chewing. That is satisfying for a large number of people.

Skip the shakes.....just get started with real food. This website is designed for measuring & logging. The vast majority use this site for that purpose. In other words, you won't get much support for skipping all that "hassle."

Look in the GROUPS section above, I'm sure there is at least one for PCOS.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have done shakes before, and I was STARVING by the time dinner rolled around. I do much, much better with real food. I will say that I drink a protein shake with my breakfast almost every day, but I am also eating real food with it and also having a decent sized lunch.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I've done shakes before, but not for a long enough period of time to lose significant weight because a certain brand of shakes caused cataclysmic intestinal distress.

Good luck!
  • palomatorres94
    palomatorres94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Multiple threads same subject...........not cool.

Here's my response in the other thread:

I did shakes for weight loss, was hungry all the time, lost the weight, then gained the weight back because I learned nothing about my eating habits.

The problem with shakes is they may not be filling for you. We're not all the same regarding foods we find satiating. Protein, fiber, and fat are the usual suspects but it's a different combo for everyone. That's a good thing to figure out, because it will help during maintenance.

The problem with shakes is they don't show you where your faults are. Measuring & logging takes an effort (that shakes don't require). That effort will give you tools that will help during maintenance (portion control).

The problem with shakes is they aren't eating and chewing. That is satisfying for a large number of people.

Skip the shakes.....just get started with real food. This website is designed for measuring & logging. The vast majority use this site for that purpose. In other words, you won't get much support for skipping all that "hassle."

Look in the GROUPS section above, I'm sure there is at least one for PCOS.

Sorry.. I'll delete this post. But thanks for the insight .
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No I'd rather eat real food.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am doing a combo of shakes/food - I started with the 10 day smoothie cleanse but I am *not* doing it to 'detox' my body (science says no. that's not how that works). Instead I started it to detox my really cruddy habits - like skipping meals, not eating enough veg/fruits every day (or at all) and forcing myself to go grocery shopping. If one follows the program faithfully you can lose up to 15 lbs in ten days and I was not interested in that (clearly as I have lost 5 lbs in three weeks).

I am starting to go to 2 meals, 1 smoothie now which is going to be a rougher transition for me because i will be forced to plan my meals, but I'm definitely all in.

Smoothies with the meal replacers things like the shakeologey and all that didn't work for me years ago because I was always hungry. This fills me up (lots of fiber) and I'm drinking a lot more water.

Whatever you do, make sure you start out small. Don't go out and buy a whole program if you're not sure. Some of those programs are stupid expensive to be hungry all the time. Plan your meals - and plan your snacks! Eat/drink every few hours to take the edge off. Good luck!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Another thing that has helped me greatly this time through is that I started out by just tracking what I was eating rather than trying to stick to a calorie count - doing that for a week really helped me focus on what I was doing wrong and where I can improve. Smoothies are way high in sugar (even the natural kind) so I am really looking forward to seeing my sugar get to the 60 grams i should be at daily once I'm completely off them. Small goals make big gains in the long run!
  • Eliniita
    Eliniita Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had never been a shake person until recently, when I found one I really liked (Ok, it's more like my mom found a good one, and gave me to try)
    I now drink one every morning, have 1 really good meal, and a ton of snacks throughout the day. (Tomatoes, avocados, cheese, stuffed mushrooms...etc)

I wouldn't do 2 shakes a day though, It'd definitely leave me hungry
  • CurlyKoalaLover
    CurlyKoalaLover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 30 lbs doing that. I'd have a shake for breakfast and for lunch but normal snacks and normal dinner and that was for the week, weekends i'd have normal meals.