Eliptical Vs Treadmill

Options
Opinions?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You're much less likely to get hurt falling off of an elliptical.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and which you enjoy more, I would think.

I'm a runner, so I prefer a treadmill because then I can still run when it's rainy or icy outside. Plus I find the elliptical to be incredibly dull.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    An elliptical is low stress. A treadmill is more like running than an elliptical. Running outside is more work than running on a treadmill.
  • LiftingLisa
    LiftingLisa Posts: 12,345 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical because I don't like running and the elliptical is less impact. I think it's all in what you prefer.
  • skonger
    skonger Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They're both mind numbing but I definitely prefer the treadmill over the elliptical.
    But I'm like cwolfman13, I run and bike and the treadmill is a better match for those two.
    I really do hate the elliptical...
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Yes. Preference is all that matters here. One or the other, or both, or neither.

I'm OK with the treadmill. I'm super awkward on the elliptical. I can read on the stationary bike. I really enjoy the rowing machine. So pretty much anything BUT the elliptical. :)
  • madelinekconley
    madelinekconley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find with the elliptical I can do way more work and go for a long amount of time. With the treadmill, I tired very easily. As long as you're getting your heart rate up, I don't think it matters.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Just prefernce. Elliptical is more a female thing (if I may be so bold). I hate the treadmill for the same reasons the guys above hate the elliptical. LOL

Not sure the evidence supports this position.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For me personally, I'm not a big stationary cardio guy...that said, my personal preference has always been to use or do something that translates to something else...I've never really been able to figure out exactly what the elliptical would translate to...it wouldn't make me a better runner or cyclists, etc...it doesn't translate to any real life movement that I can think of.

As far as getting a cardiovascular workout in, you can get a good workout with either...it will come down to duration and intensity of the work, not the machine.

A lot of people like the elliptical because it is fairly low impact compared to running on a treadmill which is lower impact than running on the road. The elliptical makes my feet fall to sleep though after about 20 minutes so I would never get a long enough session in anyway.

^ This, anything that translates to "real world" would take the cake for me, unless you are doing it as a recovery from running (active rest day). Also, many ellipticals have a fixed plane of motion, which may not be the way most peoples' bodies move. Because it isn't a natural motion, there is also a chance for injury even though it is lower impact, as your body will be doing an unnatural movement that may not fit how your body moves.
  • erickirb
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Yes. Preference is all that matters here. One or the other, or both, or neither.

I'm OK with the treadmill. I'm super awkward on the elliptical. I can read on the stationary bike. I really enjoy the rowing machine. So pretty much anything BUT the elliptical. :)

If your only goal is weight loss it is preference. If you want to improve running or for sport a treadmill will be much much better.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

If your only goal is weight loss it is preference. If you want to improve running or for sport a treadmill will be much much better.

Of course. That wasn't the question asked.
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You're much less likely to get hurt falling off of an elliptical.

Hahahahha
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was trying the treadmill at first but i do like the elliptical more and I can go longer on it
  • erickirb
    edited July 2017
    Options

Of course. That wasn't the question asked.

She said one vs. the other... so yes, she did ask, just not directly.
  • ftohm
    ftohm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical because it is low impact. I have had a couple back surgeries and I can't take the pounding of running on the treadmill for very long. I can go an hour on the elliptical at a pretty fast clip. Yes my feet start to ache and go to sleep but I can get a good cardio in.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Just prefernce. Elliptical is more a female thing (if I may be so bold). I hate the treadmill for the same reasons the guys above hate the elliptical. LOL

I'm a guy and prefer the elliptical because I can get greater intensity with lower stress on my joints.

It may feel like less, less impact yes, but as an unnatural motion it may put more stress on hips and knees and could lead to RSI (repetitive strain injury)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I'm a guy and prefer the elliptical because I can get greater intensity with lower stress on my joints.

It may feel like less, less impact yes, but as an unnatural motion it may put more stress on hips and knees and could lead to RSI (repetitive strain injury)

Depends on the machine and stride length.

Life fitness long stride trainer is the same motion as running for me.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like both for different reasons, but I find the treadmill to be tougher. I used to think that the elliptical was a cakewalk until I started jacking up the intensity. I like being able to get my heart rate up w/ the lower impact. Overall, I think it's possible to get a good workout with either.

To combat indoor machine bordome, some machines have tv screens attached with stuff like hulu, netflix, and youtube. People can even play solitaire if they want. I don't use those, but I guess it can help get folks through their workouts.