Doctor said not to reach a healthy bmi?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Just remember "healthy" is not a BMI category. Normal, and over/under-weight are your BMI categories.

When "BMI Chart" is searched for on Google, many websites use Healthy/Normal interchangeably, actually. I completely understand this though as one can be healthy without falling within a certain range on the BMI charts.

In my own writing I prefer to use "healthy" since I feel like it reads better than "normal". "Many people don't know what a normal weight looks like.", "BMI gives a normal weight range", etc. I guess it's because the word normal has many connotations, you know?

Being underweight, overweight, or obese generally comes with health risks which is part of why people gain/lose weight; to be healthier. That's not to imply that anyone outside of those parameters cannot possibly be healthy, as healthy also has many aspects to it. However, if I had written normal, it would feel like I'm implying those who don't fall within a certain range according to BMI are abnormal in some way. I suppose I'm being pedantic in my thinking but I try to choose my words carefully since I know weight is a touchy subject and negativity toward it can be found everywhere.

I was being pedantic, so being pedantic in response is quite reasonable.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor and didn't understand something she told me, and I didn't ask the right questions so I would understand. I called the office to ask her to call me to explain, and she did. Hope your doctor is open to direct communication, too.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    So maybe it was a bad joke...

I'm 5'3, 137lbs, 37 years old. I'm not so small that people mistake me for a child. But I could see where someone with a poor sense of humor might think joking about being "child sized" might work.

For me, 150lbs is too heavy. I started around 190. Under 125lbs is too small for me. BMI is a range and isn't perfect; it's just 1 tool.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment recently with my hospital dietitian
    She suggested i should swap to maintenance now rather than continue losing weight....... my bmi is 40 (down from 70)

Ill continue trying to lose cheers, hoping to prove i was right to keep going when i see them in 6 months

Congrats on your progress so far. As you know you saved your life. Personally, before you decide to continue losing I would ask your dietitian/doctor why they want you at maintenance now. Given your drastic weight loss, there may be medically valid reasons to go to maintenance for the time being.

Best of luck.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    No offense to doctors, but they often don't give the best weight loss/exercise advice.

Yes and often times they are not in the best shape themselves unfortunately.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    why wouldn't you have drawn on your field of expertise to immediately cross-examine the doctor on this odd opinion? Rather, you submit it to random internet strangers?

Not trying to answer for the OP, but this struck me as a judgmental question. Lots of people need time to debrief & analyze information or suggestions/advice they've received, especially from what are presumed to be knowledgeable professionals. It's far easier as an outsider to evaluate the OP's experience after the fact than it might have been as the OP in the moment.

I don't get this line of questioning at all, the whole, "well, why didn't you do it this way?" Seems really pointless & only intended to make the OP doubt herself. If the point was to offer an alternative perspective to the OP so she could learn & grow & perhaps better handle odd professional advice in the future, maybe asking in a way that wasn't so, "Didn't they teach you that in your fancy school?" would be in line.

Sorry if I am not touchy-feely enough; I tend to strip things down to brass tacks. In this case, I truly am baffled.

As a former faculty member for the upper level research methodology & critical thinking course that every Biology BA or BS would be required to take, I am well aware of the professional standards expected from a graduate earning that diploma, if it is in fact the school I am thinking of. It's not a "fancy" school by any means, but it is a school with extremely rigorous standards and highly respected reputation, which are upheld by high expectations, particularly for the majors like Human Biology that feed into its medical school.

More troubling is her apparent misunderstanding of the CDC data and willingness to think her doctor was just ignorant because 96% of her patients are overweight and the doctor proffers medical advice based on such evidence (instead of medical training and journals) "just because it's Indiana."

If I seem overly harsh, it is just because I have very high expectations for this particular school and degree, and am passionate about the graduates it turns out, and their ability to continue to apply their fine scientific education.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is a bit 'pudgy' like most people, and the majority of her patients are too, she may very well have forgotten what a healthy weight person actually looks like. And especially if she and the other patients are taller, then the ideal-ish number range for you at 5'2" may have sounded very low to her.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    This shouldn't matter but we do live in Indiana. There's a CDC report for Indiana that has 30% of adults obese and 66% overweight. I'm thinking it's more that even her "thin" patients aren't even at normal weights. I do have another follow up after an X-ray this week for my wrist and I can be more specific with my questions then.

*as someone had asked, my doctor is not thin and fit which could also be influencing her recommendation.

^ Yeah. pretty much this.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Just remember "healthy" is not a BMI category. Normal, and over/under-weight are your BMI categories.

I find it hard to refer to the normal range as "Normal" now that it is more abnormal in our society to not be at least somewhat noticeably overweight (at least where I live).
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Is she old? I didn't read all the posts but before 1998 ( I think that's the right year) the BMI chart started at 27.3 for healthy range for women. Also, did she talk about your frame? When I read mid/high healthy BMI I look and feel anorexic so maybe she thinks you have a large frame. Also maybe she knows too many people that went to low, got food crazy and gained it all back instead of finding a healthy middle?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Doctors like a bit of fat on older women, but at 22 -- that's ridiculous. Assuming you are losing in a safe and slow manner and there are no other medical conditions, keep going and hit your goal!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's really weird, and I would be curious how exactly she phrased it.

When I was about 145 (which is overweight for me, but not much -- I'm 5'3), I saw my doctor and she gave me all the tests and talked about fitness and so on (I had just done a half marathon and talked to her about my running schedule), she said I seemed to be in great health and very fit and although I was technically a bit overweight she didn't see it as a health issue. I said I was actually in the process of losing and planned to lose more. She asked me what I was eating/how I was losing/what my goal was and I told her (my goal was 120-125), and she said that sounded great too.

I would not consider that her telling me not to lose more. If she'd said "no, I think you should stay 145" I'd have thought that was weird, but I did not think the conversation we had was at all.

Do you have any past issues with an ED?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    why wouldn't you have drawn on your field of expertise to immediately cross-examine the doctor on this odd opinion? Rather, you submit it to random internet strangers?

Not trying to answer for the OP, but this struck me as a judgmental question. Lots of people need time to debrief & analyze information or suggestions/advice they've received, especially from what are presumed to be knowledgeable professionals. It's far easier as an outsider to evaluate the OP's experience after the fact than it might have been as the OP in the moment.

I don't get this line of questioning at all, the whole, "well, why didn't you do it this way?" Seems really pointless & only intended to make the OP doubt herself. If the point was to offer an alternative perspective to the OP so she could learn & grow & perhaps better handle odd professional advice in the future, maybe asking in a way that wasn't so, "Didn't they teach you that in your fancy school?" would be in line.

Sorry if I am not touchy-feely enough; I tend to strip things down to brass tacks. In this case, I truly am baffled.

As a former faculty member for the upper level research methodology & critical thinking course that every Biology BA or BS would be required to take, I am well aware of the professional standards expected from a graduate earning that diploma, if it is in fact the school I am thinking of. It's not a "fancy" school by any means, but it is a school with extremely rigorous standards and highly respected reputation, which are upheld by high expectations, particularly for the majors like Human Biology that feed into its medical school.

More troubling is her apparent misunderstanding of the CDC data and willingness to think her doctor was just ignorant because 96% of her patients are overweight and the doctor proffers medical advice based on such evidence (instead of medical training and journals) "just because it's Indiana."

I tend to agree with this (I'm next door in Chicago and my doctor is thin and certainly aware of what the numbers mean, so I also think the "can't tell I'm overweight, in Indiana" thing is odd). I DO think people misunderstand doctors a lot, so if you hear something weird it's important to ask more questions make sure you understand and raise something if you think it's so weird that you would be inclined to post about it on the internet. Good to know for sure, especially if you think it might be a reason to change doctors.

I feel strongly about this, because I have parents who are starting to get up there and aren't near me, and who are frustrating in not asking clarifying questions of doctors.
  • yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing weight to get into my bmi range because at 5'7 I feel.being at least 10 lbs above bmi charts I feel better and I like.to.keep a little thickness to my body. But if you feel.better slimmer and staying within a healthy range I don't see the problem unless it causes you a health problem. Sorry I've met some jealous doctors, hope it's a real reason that makes sense and you should directly ask her what that is, if not do what's best for you either way.
  • yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    By the way 150 lbs is not big for someone your height, same height and age range as my daughter with that weight she has more butt and boobs and when she drops on the lower end all of that starts to dissapear, which she doesn't like. It's about your body preference, comfort and of course health. Best of care and luck.