Too much sugar?

Options
I read on the world health organisation website that the average person should cosume around 25g of sugar per day. Mfp is putting my sugar intake at 45g per day to lose 2lb per week. How can this be right when the WHO says not to go over 25g a day?

Replies

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Is the 25g for added sugar, rather than naturally occurring sugar as in fruits. MFP counts it all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cara2411 wrote: »
    I read on the world health organisation website that the average person should cosume around 25g of sugar per day. Mfp is putting my sugar intake at 45g per day to lose 2lb per week. How can this be right when the WHO says not to go over 25g a day?

WHO is for added sugars...MFP is total sugars, including those from fruit and veg, dairy, etc...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving you a total for ALL sugars, natural and added. I believe the 25g recommendation is for ADDED sugar. Added sugar is not in US food labels (yet) so MFP has no way of distinguishing the difference.

I do try to limit added sugar, but I don't track it here. I track fiber instead.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Because WHO is talking about added sugar, and because there is no difference between added sugar and naturally occurring sugar, and lots of healthy foods have naturally occurring sugar, MFP has set a higher limit.

It's meant to help people eat better, and we can't just have advice like "cut down on sweets, cookies, soda and ice cream", because we're seen as too stupid to understand simple concepts, and too irresponsible to follow even the most sensible rules.

It's obviously not working.
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The WHO is in BigSugar's pockets!
    Or is that the other way around?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is the 25g for added sugar, rather than naturally occurring sugar as in fruits. MFP counts it all.

Yep, as others have said the WHO is only talking about added sugar. (And it's not 25 g, that's an estimate based on them recommending less than 5% of calories from added sugar.)

The WHO does not limit sugar from vegetables, fruit, or dairy, or the various other whole food sources of it (juice, honey, and syrup are counted by the WHO as free sugars, however).

Back to OP's post, MFP is NOT recommending 45 g of sugar to lose 2 lb a week. MFP's sugar estimate (which has 0 to do with how much weight you lose) is 15% of total calories, so you got 45 g because you are on 1200 calories.

(MFP's 15% is based on a rough estimate about how much added sugar makes up of the total.)
  • cara2411
    cara2411 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yep, as others have said the WHO is only talking about added sugar. (And it's not 25 g, that's an estimate based on them recommending less than 5% of calories from added sugar.)

The WHO does not limit sugar from vegetables, fruit, or dairy, or the various other whole food sources of it (juice, honey, and syrup are counted by the WHO as free sugars, however).

Back to OP's post, MFP is NOT recommending 45 g of sugar to lose 2 lb a week. MFP's sugar estimate (which has 0 to do with how much weight you lose) is 15% of total calories, so you got 45 g because you are on 1200 calories.

(MFP's 15% is based on a rough estimate about how much added sugar makes up of the total.)

That's very helpful thank you