Confused about Protein Powders?

Options
I never really thought about it but each scoop of protein has a certain amount of "protein" then "other" stuff (flavoring, sweetener, additives). Here's a quick formula to calculate the percentage of protein in your protein powder: if your protein product says each scoop gives you 20 grams of protein and each scoop is 30 grams, divide 20 by 30 = .67 x 100 = 67% protein.

I ran the formula on Jillian Michaels Whey Protein, each scoop only give you about 56% protein! Walmart sells her protein for $9 (14oz). That makes each serving $0.64! Ouch!

I ran the numbers on the protein powder I take: 86% protein, $0.68 per serving!

Moral of the story: do your homework (it's easy).

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Don't they have to put nutition per 100g in your country? Here they legally have to, and that's in % already!

If it's protein you're after, and it's less than 80%, you're wasting your money.

We have the same problems in the UK with big labels. Maximuscle is the biggest label. It's percentages are rubbish and it's often twice the price per kg of better quality brands. People buy it assuming that because something sells alot, it must be good.
    They seem to forget that the Spice Girls got to No. 1, it doen't mean they are talented artists.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    In the U.S, they're required to put a nutrition facts label on food products. But you're right, less than 80% protein per scoop is really not protein at all but a milk shake that has a bit of protein in it. And yes, a lot of unsuspecting people buy popular brands without doing any research.

I don't think people realize that about 2 cups of Borden fat free skim milk gives you MORE protein that Jillian Micheals whey protein! Seriously!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

They seem to forget that the Spice Girls got to No. 1, it doen't mean they are talented artists.

What/?? Spice Girls RULE!!!! LOL.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I rang up the protein percent on my (relatively inexpensive) usual brand and it's at 69%. I tried it with some brands I am familiar with, and they rung up even lower! Can you post brands that have a higher percentage or just pm me and let me know what you use? Thanks!
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    wow i didn't know about the 80% thing, thanks for sharing. (:
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Living in the UK, I shop both smart and eviromentally friendly and buy UK brands. I usually get Reflex or MyProtein, but I know there are several others that would meet my mark.

I know nothing about Jillian's brand, but it's possible that if it's aimed at slimming, it has extra suppliments like green tea, caffeine, cla, glutamine, cayenne pepper, taurine, etc. Now I'm not going to start arguing the benifits or not with these products, but if you don't want them, or even know what they do, don't pay for them!
  • VanessaV1974
    VanessaV1974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    As far as protein, I use a brand called Dymatize. I recently found their 5 lbs bucket of ISO 100 Whey Isolate on sale and couldn't pass it up. That's when I ran the numbers and saw how much "protein" my protein powder has!

-I have used BSN Syntha-6, it's at 50% protein per scoop. Tastes GREAT, but what's in the OTHER half?!?

-I have used SciFit Econo Whey, 63% protein per scoop BUT it is REALLY REALLY cheap, like $15 for 2 lbs!

-I tried Optimum Gold Standard, 78% protein per scoop.

I'm not trying to bash any particular brand but dang, if I'm buying protein powder, that's what I want! A little bit of education does wonders for your diet and bank acct!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    wow thank you. I know what to go with for whey now :)
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity... why is 80% the standard? I'm super interested.

I used Optimum Gold Standard in the past but the Vanilla flavor was disgusting.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, I see numbers, I blank out. I think that is part of my ADHD? I have been using Designer Whey because it was lower in sugar than anything else I can find. Is it not a good brand?
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait, I think I have it! Ok, Designer Whey Chocolate has 18 g protein and each scoop is 26 g....so that is 69%, right?

I like it because it doesn't have MSG, aspartame, fillers, casein, soy protein and creatine in it. And only 2 g of sugar. But...if there is something better that tastes good, I would love to know (without added junk!!)
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love trueprotien.com the nutritional info they give is before you add sweeteners (and you can choose just about any flavor you want, the premiums have sucralose sweetener in them though). Their beef protein is awesome, 28 grams of protein per 30 gram scoop, it's a pretty high yield. I take the Muscle Milk 27 g per 35 g scoop stuff you get at Costco (whey concentrate and isolate), it's $37 a bag that has 75 servings, that's about $0.50 a serving.
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    Wait, wait, I think I have it! Ok, Designer Whey Chocolate has 18 g protein and each scoop is 26 g....so that is 69%, right?

I like it because it doesn't have MSG, aspartame, fillers, casein, soy protein and creatine in it. And only 2 g of sugar. But...if there is something better that tastes good, I would love to know (without added junk!!)
    Yep, you got it right! 69% protein in your scoop.. the rest is ???

Taste is a relative question. I drink Dymatize, I don't think it tastes as good as BSN Syntha-6, but I"m more concerned about the protein percentage and not so much the taste. :smile: Plus, I just gulp down my 8 oz of protein pretty quick (what can I say, I'm a guy) so by the time my tongue tells my brain that it doesn't really taste that good, it's too late. :laugh:
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    I love trueprotien.com the nutritional info they give is before you add sweeteners (and you can choose just about any flavor you want, the premiums have sucralose sweetener in them though). Their beef protein is awesome, 28 grams of protein per 30 gram scoop, it's a pretty high yield. I take the Muscle Milk 27 g per 35 g scoop stuff you get at Costco (whey concentrate and isolate), it's $37 a bag that has 75 servings, that's about $0.50 a serving.
    Excellent link to True Protein! Many thanks! Yeah, I saw that big bag of protein at Costco but I had just ordered my 5 lbs tub of ISO-100 Whey. i try so hard not to hoard supplements but it's hard to pass up good deals.

Thanks again!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    80% is the standard is what I've chosen because there is a large competitively priced market at this level.
    Yes you can get purer, up to 97%, but the leap in price is ridiculous. There are many different types of whey processes that achieve differing levels of purity, and a lot of powders use a blend of these.

End product protein percentage is just the quickest, easiest way to judge a protein when you're standing in a shop.

I encourage all that have the time to research into supplements, and beware the fact that most of the 'research' available has been carried out by the companies that are selling the product...
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    On the taste, the higher the percentage, obviously, the less scope they have to make it taste good. Once again, the 80% level has such a competition that taste is an important selling point. There's no point in something you end up avoiding because it tastes rank, or even worse, you can't keep down.

Texture is also an important factor. Some are gritty (fairly unavoidable with creatine added), some are thick, some are thin.

I mostly like mine thin, as I'm usually surrounding a workout with it. At night, morning, or just due to preferrence, you may want something thicker.

Another result of this competition, and the importance of taste and texture, many companies offer trial sizes. If you're at all concerned, just get some of these and see how you like different brands.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    On the taste, the higher the percentage, obviously, the less scope they have to make it taste good. Once again, the 80% level has such a competition that taste is an important selling point. There's no point in something you end up avoiding because it tastes rank, or even worse, you can't keep down.

Texture is also an important factor. Some are gritty (fairly unavoidable with creatine added), some are thick, some are thin.

I mostly like mine thin, as I'm usually surrounding a workout with it. At night, morning, or just due to preferrence, you may want something thicker.

Another result of this competition, and the importance of taste and texture, many companies offer trial sizes. If you're at all concerned, just get some of these and see how you like different brands.

Great advice! Thank you! I had no idea about the samples. I liked to mix the powder with some oatmeal for breakfat, but it would get this weird consistency that just got so hard to eat after a while. They are all pricey, so it would be nice to try it out first.

I'm learning a whole lot from this thread :o)
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    IronSmasher is right on. Really though, ALL protein powders offer some quantity of protein and it's up to the consumer to make up his/her mind as to which brand to buy. I choose density over taste but others don't want to do that. That's OK too BUT, at some point you have to look at a full glass of fat-free skim milk, with about 15g of protein (about 2 cups), and ask yourself why would you spend $10 on Jillian Michaels Whey protein with 15g of protein per serving? See what I'm saying?

Also, not all protein powders are equal. There's whey, hydrolyzed whey, whey isolate, casein, and egg protein. Like IronSmasher said, some brands have a mixture of protein. Again, it's ultimately up to you and your personal goals as to which protein you want to consume.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in the Chocolate Malt flavor... it comes up to about 81.5% protein (24g protein for every 29.4g product). Which comes out to be $0.86/serving. This product contains both whey protein isolates and whey concentrate. http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html