How exactly should I log homemade kombucha?

Options
The stuff tastes great and doesn't go flat like sodas. I use a cup of sugar for the first fermentation, so I guess log it as 50 calories per 8oz plain?

For the second, I'll add some fruit. I just threw five pitted cherries into a sterilized 16oz bottle. Bump it up to 63 calories per 8oz?

Replies

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump

And yeah, I should mention I make a gallon per brew. I have two cinnamon apple, one cherry, and one cranberry vanilla.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the way you're logging it is reasonable. Yum!
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had this question myself. The Scoby is consuming most of the sugar in the first ferment - so I'm not sure how much it we consume after the second ferment.
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Same i had that question With kefir grains too i know the scoby .is suppose to eat the sugar but i tend to just add for the whole sugar in mfp to. Be safe
  • High_Five_
    High_Five_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would not log all the sugar because it is consumed in the fermentation. Such a good question! At best, anything without proper testing is going to be a guess. Does it taste similarly sweet to the bottled kombuchas? Most of the small batch & local kombuchas around here are crazy low in sugar and cals, and are still fairly sweet.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I think you're being pretty generous with the calories, even with the added fruit. Most store bought varieties are about 30 calories for 8 ounces, even the fruit flavored ones.

I've got a batch brewing right now and love the idea of cherry vanilla! Will have to try that for the second ferment.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    High_Five_ wrote: »
    I would not log all the sugar because it is consumed in the fermentation. Such a good question! At best, anything without proper testing is going to be a guess. Does it taste similarly sweet to the bottled kombuchas? Most of the small batch & local kombuchas around here are crazy low in sugar and cals, and are still fairly sweet.
    The ones with a green tea base tend to.

My mixed black and green are a little more tart, especially since they've been fermenting longer. That plus a 89+ degree garage makes for very happy bacteria.
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I think you're being pretty generous with the calories, even with the added fruit. Most store bought varieties are about 30 calories for 8 ounces, even the fruit flavored ones.

I've got a batch brewing right now and love the idea of cherry vanilla! Will have to try that for the second ferment.
    I do toss the fruit itself before drinking. I accidentally used pumpkin pie spice extract on the cherry bottle. I do NOT recommend that. :s

I guess maybe look for a store brand similar and log it as that, quick add some calories if I feel I should.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the question I was looking for! But not the easy answer I wanted, haha.