Can't eat 1200 cals.

I dont eat a lot and never really did. I feel full for the day at 500 cals. I have logged in what i would normaly eat for a day now using this site. It only comes in at 700 cals. I find the site great for tips and stuff but is it really bad that i have only once hit my cals of 1200. I feel sick if i try to eat all i should be?

Replies

• Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Are you eating the right combinations? If you eat a lot of carbs that will make you feel more full. Perhaps by tweaking what you eat you might manage more?
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    if you have always eaten under your calories your body will not be used to it, rather than make your self sick why not try to increase your calories slowly.
    perhaps for one week aim for 550-600 minimum every day and then increase it the week after to 600-700 etc.
    it will take your body time to adjust to more food and you will need to break it down into smaller meals as well.
    your metabolism will be out of sorts if you have been eating that little for a long time and it will take time to adjust but it will be worth it
    in the end.

good luck
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    I don't understand how you could of put on excess weight if you don't eat many calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    what are your starting height and weight? If you open your diary people would be able to give you more specific suggestions and help?
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    I don't understand how you could of put on excess weight if you don't eat many calories.

If you don't eat enough your body very quickly tries to horde everything you eat, I have an aunite who eats one meal a day fairly reasonable size, she cannot eat lots of dairy due to a colon issue but she is also morbidly obese.

there is a detailed bit on mfp about someone eating 700 cals a day, I'll see if i can find it and post a link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

edit to add link
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member

If you don't eat enough your body very quickly tries to horde everything you eat, I have an aunite who eats one meal a day fairly reasonable size, she cannot eat lots of dairy due to a colon issue but she is also morbidly obese.

there is a detailed bit on mfp about someone eating 700 cals a day, I'll see if i can find it and post a link

True story. I've struggled with my weight for years, it was fluctutating around 13.5 stone for ages. When I came on here I realised I was not eating half enough for the amount of exercise I was doing. My calories were frrequently minus 700 or minus 1,000 per day, and then occasionally at weekends I would have the odd eating binge. I had no idea why I wasn't losing weight for about 2 to 3 years. Now I'm doing what MFP says and the weight is finally moving!

xx
  • MMFP68
    MMFP68 Posts: 39 Member
    If the starvation mode theory is true at all, it could only be short term because think about it -- people in this world do starve to death and famine is widespread in underdeveloped countries. If all you had to do to keep from losing more weight was stop eating, we could just walk over and tell them "hey, if you want to stay alive, trick your body into thinking you won't feed it and it will stop losing weight to protect itself.

That's not to say you couldn't have a bona fide metabolic disorder that is preventing you from losing easily. And it is a fact that when you don't consume enough calories, nutrients will be leeched from lean muscle mass first unless you are feeding your body a large amount of extra protein and fat.

Bottom line: you are not eating enough to be healthy in the long term. There must be some healthy way you can learn to tolerate more calories. You might consider speaking with a registered nutritionist or your doctor about it.