How to keep fat intake down while increasing protein?

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to the community, but been having frustrating problems keeping my macros aligned. I'm trying to eat 20-25% of my daily intake in fat, and about 50% in protein. I'm 6'4, 235lbs and trying to eat 235g of protein without going over 20% in fat has been super hard.

Are there some good tricks people have for doing it right? I've been eating a ton of shrimp, turkey breast, chicken breast, reduced/non fat dairy etc. but still having issues keeping my fat intake down.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is pretty hard to keep within strict macros like that. You have found all the "solid" protein sources already. You may need to supplement with protein powder.

Or reconcile yourself to a little extra fat as long as your calorie allowance stays in line.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Egg whites!
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans and chickpeas
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Eggs do it for me. Mainly the whites. I like them in omelettes 1egg white to 1 whole egg with veges, NICE! The fat in eggs come from the yolk. Check it out on the boards and stuff so you are sure. You can buy just the whites is the super markets in the butter section.
    They come in a flexible packet.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes (premixed not powder). I had to start using these when I got sick of chicken.
  • wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »

And many more... A google search for "protein rich vegetables" should help you. Volumes may be a challenge though :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Do you want to double check your minimum fat macro? Rule of thumb is 0.35g per pound body weight. With what you indicated above, that would be more like 40% of a 1880 kcal daily diet?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Thats my current protein goal
    And fat macro, easily done, I have to add
    Peanut butter and butter to reach my fat target. You'll find a lot of carb sources also have quite a high fat content, I stick
    To rice, potatoes and oats as the main source of carbs
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Do you want to double check your minimum fat macro? Rule of thumb is 0.35g per pound body weight. With what you indicated above, that would be more like 40% of a 1880 kcal daily diet?

^This. Fat is an essential macro-nutrient. Eating dietary fat doesn't make you fat. If you are in a caloric deficit for a considerable time, it's important that your fat intake is at a healthy minimum, otherwise there could be adverse health consequences. Also, if you are weightlifting and looking to maintain as much muscle as possible, I can see where you are getting your protein goal of 1g/lbs, but technically you should be aiming for 1g/lbs of lean body mass. Many calculators and calipers aren't accurate, but you can lower your protein intake to .8g/lbs to account for LBM, giving you more calories towards fat and carbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It will be frustrating to try to eat to a macro split like that, very, very hard, and not necessary, or useful, or normal for humans.

I have no problems doing it right, just eating normal food. But doing it right means setting macros properly - for me, that was 40-45% fat and 20-25% protein during weight loss, and maybe 30-35% fat and 15-20% protein in maintenance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »

These are good sources of protein when one is eating much higher carb than the OP - if he's determined to stick with his current macro split he only has 25-30% carbs to play with.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Shrimp/seafood, fish, protien powder, non fat Greek yogurt.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    why so much protein? no I'm not a protein hater (I take in 140g a day which is in the 1.2g/lmm) but 250 seems excessively high (since that equals the OP's body weight)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As others have said, to hit that macro setup is going to be a challenge. Whey protein powder can help. But, as others have asked, why do you need to keep fats so low. Protein and fats are essential nutrients. I'd hit protein, although your target is aggressive, you may have a reason, I'd hit between 82 and 94 gr fat and let the carbs fall where they may. Fat doesn't make you fat.

On the protein side, most folks follow the rule of thumb of .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass and not of total body weight. Some get more aggressive for specific reasons.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Dry cottage cheese curd. It's the kind that goes in lasagne (but you don't want the rest of the lasagne :tongue: )You'll have to add something to it to make it tastier, or you can put it on top of salads. Mix it with 1% cottage cheese 50/50 ratio.

Check out these macros.
    asf410ijqkj7.jpg
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna maybe? Pure protein with zero fat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I doubt you need to be eating 235g of protein daily unless you know, through an accurate measurement method, that your body fat is 10-12%. Usually it's recommended to eat .6-.8g per pound of body weight or .8-1g per pound of LEAN body weight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting macro target. Are you further specific in the saturated/mono-unsaturated, poly-unsaturated, and trans splits for what little bit of fat you will have? I'm not credentialed as a nutritionist, much less so as a dietitian or kinesiologist, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but even I can suggest that the persons above who have extolled the virtue of wise fat consumption are to be heeded.