Low Calorie Driving Friendly Breakfast

Options
What the title says! I alternate between frittatas or hard boiled eggs with a yogurt shake, but I need some variety!

Help!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been injured by two drivers who weren't concentrating.
    One incident resulted in a life changing injury.

Food for thought hopefully.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've been injured by two drivers who weren't concentrating.
    One incident resulted in a life changing injury.

Food for thought hopefully.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, almost everyone has experienced this.

I was rear-ended by someone who had dropped a French fry and was trying to locate it. Just a fender-bender, so no injuries.

But, my husband suffered permanent injuries when he was hit by a distracted driver while riding his bike.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'd say something drinkable that won't spill easily is your safest bet if you must eat while driving.
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have been a taxi driver for well over 20 yrs my fave breakfast is dry cereal that you can eat with yr fingers like cerrois. weetbix bites, or dry toast with marmite and a orange or other fruit sliced and pre peeled that I would prepare the nite before in a two sided container with a coffee with a tight fitting lid. Put coffee and stuff in cup ready to go. You just get up in the morning make the coffee and you are out the door. I have never been able to eat first thing in the morning and found this much easier. This also helped when I gave up smoking it kept my hands and mind busy. The others are right if you drop it that's where it stays. I wish you well,
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Smoothie. Coffee with protein powder. Meal shake. Otherwise, don't eat and drive. Why can't you just eat before you leave or upon arrival?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Breakfast wrap. Ole wellness are a great size and 50 calories each. You can even flash freeze them to warm up each morning.
  • High_Five_
    High_Five_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A smoothie and a handful of nuts would get me through the morning, without adding any distractions to my driving.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    We are not required to eat breakfast.
    If it does not fit into your morning to have breakfast, eat a large snack at work or wait until lunch time.
  • visualizefit
    visualizefit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who responded positively.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    the best zero calorie meal while driving is both hands on the steering wheel...
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Drinkables are the safest option. Smoothies or meal replacement shakes like Ensure (try the butter pecan flavor).

I admit that I sometimes eat whole grain waffles (just toasted, nothing on them) while driving. Works for me.
  • visualizefit
    Options
    I agree drinkables are the best options. I never eat anything that requires two hands while driving.

Like I said, frittatas and hard boiled eggs have been my go to. Small, single hand items.

I get frustrated that people are so hard on folks who spend so much of their day in the car, especially early or late in the day. I leave super early for work, drive an hour and a half, and start way early compared to most day jobs.

It just isn't doable for me to sit down in the morning for breakfast. I would love to make myself fresh eggs every morning, but it's just not gonna happen.

I appreciate the folks who have been understanding of that.

Is ensure or other smoothies affordable? Can they be prepped the night before? Are they filling (I don't get to eat often)? Where's the best place to get them.

I'd prefer a powder I could make myself if anyone had any suggestions.

I have a blender bottle just waiting to be used! ;)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I use half scoop quest or PEScience protein powder, half scoop vitacost whole foods shake, cold coffee, and ice. You could shake it in a blender bottle and take it with you. Full of protein, vitamins, and of course, coffee
  • visualizefit
    Options
    I use half scoop quest or PEScience protein powder, half scoop vitacost whole foods shake, cold coffee, and ice. You could shake it in a blender bottle and take it with you. Full of protein, vitamins, and of course, coffee

And coffee is all important. :)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is ensure or other smoothies affordable? Can they be prepped the night before? Are they filling (I don't get to eat often)? Where's the best place to get them.

Ensure & Boost are pre-made drinks that are usually sold in the pharmacy aisle. I think they cost around $6 for 6 bottles. They're ready to drink. I do suggest refrigerating them though. One word of caution though: They do contain a lot of carbs from sugar. If this doesn't suit your diet, you're probably best off making smoothies with protein powder the night before.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I put almond butter on a slice of whole grain bread with a shake
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Drinkables are the safest option. Smoothies or meal replacement shakes like Ensure (try the butter pecan flavor).

I admit that I sometimes eat whole grain waffles (just toasted, nothing on them) while driving. Works for me.

Me too! I eat plain whole grain waffles all the time when I'm in a hurry! About 70 calories each!