Has anyone here Studied Abroad??

Options
i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
Hey guys,

So, its 4 in the morning in California right now, and I am FREAKING OUT! Why? Because I am scared! :sad:

In two months I will be leaving my home and going to school in Japan for 1 year!

I studied abroad for 6 months in high school in Chile, and back then I was a teenager so I was excited to experience freedom.

Now I'm 21 and a free woman, but I am sooo scared to study abroad right now :( I know when I get there I will enjoy myself, but I keep freaking out....I don't have anything in specific that I am scared about, although I am really scared of transferring flights all alone/my luggage and meeting my roommate. I am scared of not being accepted by the Japanese and the other international students (I logically don't think this will happen, but my ex was abusive and I still haven't completely gotten over everything he said and did -- related to this).

Sorry for the small rant, but I can't sleep and was wondering if you could please share your stories abroad (hopefully good, although I am open to bad), to comfort me -- It's like you are rocking me to sleep in a cradle haha xD

I'm really scared so I would love to read some stories to remind me that studying abroad is fun, and everything should be okay. :blushing:

Thank you!!!

Replies

• duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I studied abroad in London for 3 months. It was the best experience of my life. I was super scared to go alone, but it all worked out well. Being nervous about flight transfers, money, luggage, etc., just makes you more careful (which is a good thing.) You'll have an amazing time!
  • cmreich
    cmreich Posts: 5
    Options
    This will likely be one of the best experiences of your life. It is scary to up root yourself . I remember that fear but if you think of it as an exciting adventure, like the fear you have on roller coaster as it ticks up a hill, you'll be fine. Your stepping out of your comfort zone which means this opportunity has a greater chance for growth for you. If it was boring it might not be as meaningful. There will be a transitioning but I think you'll find that we have this idea that abroad will be a whole new world...in some ways that's true...you'll see new treasures and things you'd never see otherwise but what struck me most when I traveled and lived abroad was that the people I met were just shuffling along trying to make it through life the same as anyone back home. In some ways traveling abroad wasn't all that different from moving to another state...just a state with a lot of quirks...Not sure if that helps or makes sense to you yet but you'll be fine!!!
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i've studied abroad in the us for a year .. but also worked in egypt & greece (from denmark myself)

i absolutely LOVE experiencing new cultures & i'll do it for life!

when i go to uni, i plan on doing a year in australia & while there i'd love to go crazy traveling all over asia.

all sorts of jealous right now .. i wish i was going to japan .. i mean in tokyo they have a soccer field on the ROOF! how insane is that?! plus think of all the sushi! sort of healthy right? :D

i always have the BEST times abroad because you meet an insane amount of new people & get so many rewarding experiences .. i mean who would've thought i would've EVER been face to face with a black bear? or went for ride on a camel? or gone fourwheeling through sahara?!

god i wanna go now, now, now! :D
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Heyy- stay positive, you're going to have an absolute blast. I definitely know its scary, but by the end it will be everything you have made it.

I studied abroad for about 4 months my junior year in London and it was really great in its own way- different from what I previously knew. I was nervous too, but it wasn't that long and knew I would eventually go home to people I cared about if I ended up not liking it. Well I LOVED IT!

I am currently doing a 1 year masters course in Manchester, England. Its kind of a rough time right now as I am writing my dissertation and have 1 month left of the experience :( I was soo nervous coming over, but soon just walking to the store felt like home or just an everyday activity not that I was away going to some foreign store or something. Just keep an open mind and experience everything you can (as you know with studying abroad before).

Are you going to do a masters program? Or continue with your undergrad? If you have any questions let me know.
  • MollyYao
    MollyYao Posts: 12
    Options
    My study abroad turned into 8.5 years! I left California at age 21 to study in Australia knowing absolutely nobody there and all alone. It turned out to be the best experience of my life, hence why I am still here. You get to start fresh and be the person that you want to be without anybody having any pre conceived notions about you, they get to make up their own mind about you.
    As for the traveling alone etc, it will make you a stronger person and a more capable person. After this experience you will feel like you can do anything. Best of luck and enjoy the experience. You only live once so make the best of it!
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm studying in Lancaster (abroad for me^^). The first time, my parents travelled with me (so I could fill up their suitcases with my stuff ;) ) but afterwards, I had to do everything by myself: sorting out tuition fees, courses at uni, getting a house, rent, doctors etc. It can be very scary at first, but you just have to pretend to be a bit confident and don't be scared to ask, you'll be amazed how easy everything goes and how helpful people are (at least in England, but I can imagine Japanese people being even lovelier, they must be like the most polite people in the world :) ).
    Just do everything you can do from home, do a bit of research (look up the area you'll live in on Google Maps so you won't get lost *haha* ) and you should calm down automatically, because you know you've done everything you possibly can in advance :)
    I'm really jealous, I hope you'll have an amazing time in Japan and good luck with whatever you do :) xx
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    Heyy- stay positive, you're going to have an absolute blast. I definitely know its scary, but by the end it will be everything you have made it.

I studied abroad for about 4 months my junior year in London and it was really great in its own way- different from what I previously knew. I was nervous too, but it wasn't that long and knew I would eventually go home to people I cared about if I ended up not liking it. Well I LOVED IT!

I am currently doing a 1 year masters course in Manchester, England. Its kind of a rough time right now as I am writing my dissertation and have 1 month left of the experience :( I was soo nervous coming over, but soon just walking to the store felt like home or just an everyday activity not that I was away going to some foreign store or something. Just keep an open mind and experience everything you can (as you know with studying abroad before).

Are you going to do a masters program? Or continue with your undergrad? If you have any questions let me know.

Hi! Thank you so much for the encouragement everyone. >_< Wow so many responses all of a sudden! I would love to respond to each individually (maybe will later haha), but I just want to say how much I appreciate the great stories and advice and encouragement!

I will be doing my undergrad, although the school I am going to is mainly a grad school and they made an exception for me so I will be taking a couple graduate classes. I finished my junior year last semester, and my program at my school is 5 years alone (and I also have 2 minors). A lot of people at my school graduate as super duper seniors so no plans for grad school here haha xD

ps: I forgot to ask...it seems a few people here have studied abroad multiple times. Is it normal to be scared, although I already studied abroad before?
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options

ps: I forgot to ask...it seems a few people here have studied abroad multiple times. Is it normal to be scared, although I already studied abroad before?

I come home every 3 months, and the night before each time I take the train, I cannot sleep and I feel sick, although I've done it about 10 times already. But then again, my nerves aren't made of steel ;) Anyway, my point is, no matter how often you do something, if it's new in a way, it can be unsettling. You just have to turn it into positive energy ;)
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I think its absolutely normal. I was scared about starting a new school, living in the city, going to a school that is about 50x the size of the college I went to (my college at 1800 students- manchester is a LARGE university). Its a different experience you're leaving the familiar again for the unknown. It's natural. But I also think its coupled with excitement. I was so excited to meet my flatmates, what friends i was going to make, the classes, the nightlife, the everyday monotonous activities I was going to experience. Don't let the fear derail your excitement :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

I come home every 3 months, and the night before each time I take the train, I cannot sleep and I feel sick, although I've done it about 10 times already. But then again, my nerves aren't made of steel ;) Anyway, my point is, no matter how often you do something, if it's new in a way, it can be unsettling. You just have to turn it into positive energy ;)

Thank you! I am really into good vibes, so thank you for mentioning that! That is so awesome you get to go home so frequently btw! :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

I think its absolutely normal. I was scared about starting a new school, living in the city, going to a school that is about 50x the size of the college I went to (my college at 1800 students- manchester is a LARGE university). Its a different experience you're leaving the familiar again for the unknown. It's natural. But I also think its coupled with excitement. I was so excited to meet my flatmates, what friends i was going to make, the classes, the nightlife, the everyday monotonous activities I was going to experience. Don't let the fear derail your excitement :)

Ah, thank you! You made me more excited than nervous, I really appreciate it!! You have some great points!! >_<
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Be sure to eat the Christmas cake and the Christmas KFC bucket in Japan! I'm not sure why you have cake and KFC there on X-mas, but sounds good to me! I would call myself the "scary gaijin lady" if I went over there for a year.
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I studied in England for a summer! London was so huge compared to small town Alabama! To this day, it is one of my most cherished experiences and I would trade so much to have the chance to do it again!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I studied a broad once for several years. Her name was Aimee. We got married, had two kids. Funny thing is, the longer I studied her, the crazier she got. We ended up hating each other.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    Yeah, I studied a broad once for several years. Her name was Aimee. We got married, had two kids. Funny thing is, the longer I studied her, the crazier she got. We ended up hating each other.

Next time just ask for the cliff notes