Sneaky Calories

Options
What are some healthy foods that can be sneaky on calories.....

Was also wondering if cottage cheese is sneaky in calories as well..

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Nuts, yogurt, fruit..,all good and in my diet necessary just have to take account.
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bananas for me. I could eat 2 to 3 at a sitting and hey, it is fruit so it is like eating an apple, right?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    amietest wrote: »
    Bananas for me. I could eat 2 to 3 at a sitting and hey, it is fruit so it is like eating an apple, right?

One reason why WW unlimited fruit policy can be an issue. Those calories add up fast.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Anything with refined oil/sugar is super sneaky! I consider premade, ready to eat meals the worst. There's a lot of sodium and preservatives which are rarely satisfying until you're eating 3 portions. lol
    I'd say stick to whole foods and cook whenever possible. I hate going out to eat; restaurants are never accurate with their "caloric estimates".
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    • Avocado's.
    • Breakfast cereals - although not really that calorific according to nutritional info on the packet when I weighed out one of my typical bowls I was eating two portions and often hungry an hour later*

I don't usually eat breakfasts, and when I do it is not cereal, but I've learn that when I'm trying to add in calories (I sometimes bulk) cereal is a good way of getting a lot of carbohydrate without feeling stuffed.
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Veggie dip and Pasta :#t626ter5hd23.jpg
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'd say party food/restaurant food when you can't weigh and measure but you can get fooled into believing it's less-calorific than it actually is. Say some popcorn varieties (Skinny Pop is great. A lot of the other bags in the snack food aisle? Even of the non-caramel variety? Not so much). Terra chips. (B-but it's root vegetables! They're so low-cal!) Salad dressings and dips.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pre-packed salads!! I grabbed one the other day on my lunch break, it was some Chicken-Mediterranean one. Turns out the (small) plastic bowl was over 600 cals. I put it back pretty quick!!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Fruit and nut muesli! (Before I started MFP I thought it was the ideal "diet" breakfast full of wholegrains, oats, fruit and nuts) So before I started weighing my food I thought I was giving myself a 40g recommended portion, it was 100g.... As others have said weighing is the key, but is not always possible if you're eating away from home, so it's good to know which are the sneaky calorie bombs if you can't measure.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Food labels can be sneaky when the serving size is a ridiculous size that no one can eat. I've been caught out a few times like this when I've not been concentrating. One example was a croissant where the calories were listed for a serving size of 1/3rd of the croissant. Who eats 1/3rd of a croissant?

Oh my god croissants! I remember checking the calories of one after I'd eaten it, 600cals! How the *kitten* it's 80% *kitten* fresh air! lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah, croissants. So many calories for something that's not filling at all (although I've made some that came up to 300 calories and were actually very filling - seems it's the case for most of the ones made with butter vs oil).

The killer for me are spring rolls (the non fried kind). 480 calories or something for just veggies wrapped in rice paper. I'm guessing most of the calories are from the sauce?

But 'healthy' foods? Coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, beans, seeds, salmon.. lots of heart healthy foods are high in calories, because they contain healthy fats, which are still fats (although it seems coconut oil isn't as healthy as it's been advertised, with lots of saturated fat). And obviously dips and salad dressings (or salads as a whole, which can be 1200+ calories in restaurants).

And don't forget those '0 calories' sprays that are definitely not 0 calories if you overdo it...

I concur with using MFP and logging accurately to avoid those 'sneaky' calories though.