"Use within 7 days" question

Options
I notice specifically almond milk and egg white cartons say "use within 7 days of opening" do all of you really go by that or do you just keep it until you finish it? I've had my almond milk and egg whites for 2 weeks now....

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I keep almond milk forever sometimes. I am the only one that drinks it and I only use half cup to a cup a day in my coffee and buy it in half gallon containers. I haven't died yet.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think as long as they don't smell or look "off" you're good. That being said, the one and only time I've ever had food poisoning came from some lunch meat that specified I should use it within 3 days (I didn't). It looked and tasted fine, and then everything was very much NOT fine. So, YMMV
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The dates on packs are always on the conservative side .
    Remember that they're really a very modern invention, and the world kept turning and people didn't die (often!) before they existed. ;)

A good sniff is normally all you need.

I've literally never had a problem with almond milk. Although I do buy the one that's just on the shelf not in the fridge at the shop because it's cheaper and, really, how many ways can you squash an almond?! Maybe it has different additives or something, but I do keep it in the fridge once it's open.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with almond milk once, I think it had been open about a month but the "best by" date hadn't come yet, so I tasted it and MAN it was gross. But to be fair, I had already poured a little bit in my protein shake and I wasn't about to waste protein so I drank it anyway and I was fine. I still threw out the rest of the almond milk.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My egg whites usually last about 2 wks. I use them until they're gone.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm still using egg whites from two months ago...no one in my house is sick, so it's all good.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I keep my almond milk for up to about 2 weeks. I'm paranoid to keep it any longer because i've accidentally tasted sour almond milk and it is DISGUSTING.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    kissa714 wrote: »
    I keep my almond milk for up to about 2 weeks. I'm paranoid to keep it any longer because i've accidentally tasted sour almond milk and it is DISGUSTING.

^^Exactly this.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I would go by smell or color.