Meal Prep Containers

Options
Do any of you use meal prep containers to plan you meals during the week. If so. Do you get tired of eating the same meals each day? Do you alternate between days? I am thinking about purchasing meal prep containers and prep my food during the week. Any advice? or suggestions?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals in virtual containers - in a spreadsheet. I certainly don't eat the same meals each day; I cook from fresh, after thawing/soaking, if necessary, overnight in the fridge. The only "prepping" I need to do, is cutting and boxing large fruits like melons and pineapples and hard vegetables like carrots and beets, and portioning and freezing fish and meat.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't meal prep in the usual way. I cook in lots tho. I'll cook up a big pan of lean ground beef for example then through the week use it in different meals eg: spaghetti, tacos, low fat sloppy Joes. I do the same thing with store bought roast chicken. eg: fried cauliflower rice, better butter chicken, chef's salad. I do however eat the same thing for lunches and breakfasts and don't mind that at all. If you are concerned then freeze several different things and you will have a variety.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I know I'm going to have a crazy week I will meal prep all 3 meals and a snack and have them in containers so I can just grab and go. If my week is going to be not so crazy I will meal prep breakfast, lunch and snacks and fresh make dinners. If my evenings are really flexible then I'll pre-prep breakfasts and snacks and then plan my dinners to make fresh each night and prepare an extra portion for the next days lunch (also helps if you've been eating the same thing each week for a few weeks and need a break from that).

It took a while to get used to eating the same thing every day but you can switch it up by making snacks different or just pre-shredding the chicken and changing up the seasonings each day. It's also nice to make a fresh salad to have with a meal and those can change out daily for variety.

When I go off of meal prep, those are the days that I end up having chips and salsa for dinner. :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I meal prep my lunches only, so if you're looking for advice on dinners and things, just ignore me! For lunches though, I use ziplock's divided rectangle containers - they're a lot cheaper than the fancy "bento" containers (which don't always stack well either), but are genuinely sturdy and seal very well. I don't like to cook so I stick with five items per meal: fruit, veggie, cheese, meat, cracker. I also regularly rotate out one of the non-fruit or veggie options for a pasta salad or quinoa or something like that, and often add nuts or dried fruit or olives if I'm still hungry. I rotate between two to three options for each "slot" during the week for variety, and when I run out of something try to replace it with something different. Some weeks I prep everything but the crackers on Sunday, but at this point it only takes about five minutes to build and log a lunch in the morning so I've been doing that in an attempt to integrate leftovers into my meals more. In any case, maybe that wasn't responsive to your question, but I am always happy to talk about lunches at the slightest prompting.

ETA: My husband cooks 3-4 nights a week, and when he doesn't I often just graze from my lunch drawer since it's filled with foods I genuinely like and are easy to log and portion control.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Do any of you use meal prep containers to plan you meals during the week. If so. Do you get tired of eating the same meals each day? Do you alternate between days? I am thinking about purchasing meal prep containers and prep my food during the week. Any advice? or suggestions?

I use plain old Pyrex. (Glass dishes, plastic lids, various sizes.) I do eat a lot of the same things, but the combos vary. I typically toss in frozen veggies and a protein (chicken or fish). Sometimes quinoa, a few Trader Joe's mashed potato nuggets, Carba-Nada noodles, or beans. Lots of options. A couple days I bring a massive container of mixed greens (I keep a low-cal balsamic vinaigrette here at work) and eat that with my protein or throw some tuna in there. I eat a lot of egg whites and home and love to saute shrimp. I do try not to eat "work" food at home too much so I don't get tired of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    When I worked in an office I found batch cooking lunches and dinners on the weekends tremendously helpful.

I only stopped that because I started working remotely.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop and meal prep every Sunday. I always make a shopping list so I make sure I get all the needed ingredients. I have a couple of different sizes of containers I use depending on what I make for the week. I usually prep lunches and some snacks to take to work. For dinner I usually have more time so I tend to make something instead of eating a prepped meal. If there are leftovers, that becomes another option for a work lunch.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I usually prep two meals for the week, lunch and dinner... but this week I was complaining that I was already tired of what I made, LOL. However if I make more than that, I feel I will have too much food. Being single and having to eat the meals by yourself takes it toll on a woman that likes variety :) my freezer is a graveyard of leftovers from what I haven't finished, but don't want to throw away.

I personally weigh out my portions and pack away in a bento box that I wash and use every day. However there was a time when I would frequent My Fit Foods when it was still in business and it was super nice to have everything ready to grab and go (AND the variety!). It's all a matter of personal preference and what you have the energy for.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You don't need to order anything fancy, just get several different sizes (1// cup, 1 cup, 2 cup, 5 cup) by stackable containers by Hefty or Ziplock and a lunch bags that's large enough to hold several. Then weigh everything for a month or two. For example, a 50g serving of blueberries fill a 1/2 cup container. Have 2-3 options for breakfast, lunch and snacks (all pre-made) and put together a combo of what sounds good each morning. No need to eat the same thing every day.
  • jjohnson990
    jjohnson990 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I normally grocery shop and meal prep on Sunday's for the week! I typically do the sane thing for lunch for all 5 days and yes it does get boring by Friday but tbh its worth it to not have to worry about cooking for your lunches throughout the week, or getting lazy and eating processed stuff. I just used rubbermaid containers from walmart that have 2 compartments separated by a divider, I typically do my protien & veggies in that then have a separate small container for my fruit! I normally like to heat up my veggies and protien so that set up works for me! ☺
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I use glassware with a plastic lid because I don't like microwaving stuff in plastic. If I were to invest in something new I'd invest in a bento box. There are also some very cute lunch containers and bags on Etsy.
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I only meal prep 2 different meals,to last for 2 days. I must suck at cooking, because I cannot stand leftovers. My chicken breast will be dry in a day. I've never frozen a cooked meal and then heated it back up 4 days later; what are the results like?

I also dont use meal prep containers. I throw it all in tupperware... who cares if food touches food?! Don't need a divided plastic brittle meal prep container.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I cook, portion and freeze. Then I have plenty of time to eat it, and many different choices.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I cook 3 different meals on Sunday and put in meal prep containers for lunch and dinner to last through the work week. I don't get really bored with eating the same meals, and it makes it much easier time wise during the week. I mix things up with different breakfasts and snacks.
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like Pyrex B)t62ter2y2gd23.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I only meal prep 2 different meals,to last for 2 days. I must suck at cooking, because I cannot stand leftovers. My chicken breast will be dry in a day. I've never frozen a cooked meal and then heated it back up 4 days later; what are the results like?...

Chicken thighs don't dry as easily and white meat and they are cheaper too. However, I buy chicken tenders when they are on sale, toss them in a little salad dressing, and grill them. I don't find the leftovers dry. I also don't have an issue with white meat used in stir fries being dry.

Some meals freeze better than others. Stews and soups freeze quite well. I guess the higher liquid content is protective.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/23/what-food-freezes-well-and-what-doesn-t-freeze-well
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I like Pyrex B)t62ter2y2gd23.jpg

Ya, I mostly store in glass, especially if I'm going to be microwaving it.

I used plastic to send meals home for my OH's mother, when we lived separately, before she went into the nursing home. I didn't trust him to not put my Pyrex's lids in the dishwasher :lol:
  • Fitblkorchid
    Fitblkorchid Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals in virtual containers - in a spreadsheet. I certainly don't eat the same meals each day; I cook from fresh, after thawing/soaking, if necessary, overnight in the fridge. The only "prepping" I need to do, is cutting and boxing large fruits like melons and pineapples and hard vegetables like carrots and beets, and portioning and freezing fish and meat.

I will take note. Freezing is helpful and saves room in the fridge. Thank you.
  • Fitblkorchid
    Fitblkorchid Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only meal prep 2 different meals,to last for 2 days. I must suck at cooking, because I cannot stand leftovers. My chicken breast will be dry in a day. I've never frozen a cooked meal and then heated it back up 4 days later; what are the results like?

I also dont use meal prep containers. I throw it all in tupperware... who cares if food touches food?! Don't need a divided plastic brittle meal prep container.

lol I was more so talking about the asain food containers. We normally get them for free.