Herniated Disc in Neck

Options
Is anyone out there struggling with herniated discs in their neck? I'm been told and shown on the MRI's that I have four. It has been huge life style change for me. I was running still back in February and March of this year. I have had to limit almost all activity except I continue to use the AMT cardio machine at the gym. I've had very little information from my doctor on how to heal. Most everything I have learned has been trial and error. I have had a little input from a friend who has had cervical disc replacement surgery. The best thing I've found is the therapy pool at the gym. Does anyone have suggestions for recovery? I've been told I'm not a candidate for surgery at this time. I'm going for a second opinion August 18th.

Replies

• flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had a major lifestyle change in January. Started C25K and lifting. Out of nowhere I woke up thinking I slept funny because my neck hurt. It lasted a week or so and I managed it by taking 2 Advil in the morning. I got better then it came back. Lasted several weeks then got to the point that it was unbearable. I had excruciating pain in my shoulder and numbness in my fingers and arm. Did traction and PT for 2 weeks and finally got my MRI. Several drs confirmed a significant herniation between c6-7. No PT was going to help. Neurosurgeon recommended fixing it. I am 2 weeks out of a laminectomy and am doing pretty good. Major pain is gone and tingling is getting much better. I am very stiff and still sore but each day is better. If you're not able to have surgery, maybe try traction and PT. It did afford some relief after the 2nd session. Can be expensive depending on your health insurance. Have you seen neuro yet? Of not, you should. Take your scan with you. My hubby and I have now both have laminectomies - his was lumbar though. I also have a friend who had an artificial disc put in. Are you taking muscle relaxers, gabapentin, prednisone or anything for pain? I survived 3 weeks on prednisone and muscle relaxers before surgery.
  • jroulo
    jroulo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I had to look up "laminectomy". Our stories actually sound quite similar. I was also lifting in January. I haven't had too much pain fortunately. That's why it has taken such a long time for me to figure out what I can and can't do. With some exceptions, the pain doesn't start until the next day after doing something I shouldn't have.
    I did see a neurosurgeon and my August 18th appointment is with a second neurosurgeon. I do have some pain medicine and muscle relaxers but I haven't had to take them much so far. I have been using my inversion table as my traction. Thanks again for sharing. I hope you make a full recovery.