Love talking diet and nutrition but I think I'm boring the husband :-)

Options
Mandosca
Mandosca Posts: 16 Member
Hello everyone! I am not new to MFP but have never posted before. Diet, nutrition and weightloss are amongst my favorite things to talk about so I can't believe I didn't start chatting sooner! I'm trying to lose 40 or so pounds and look forward to hearing all the advice and wisdom you may have for me. :-)

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    lol I certainly bore my wife a lot with diet and fitness talk.
  • Malethyst
    Malethyst Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that using the Mifflin-St. Jeor formula to calculate my recommended TDEE at sedentary then subtracting 500 calories (for 1 lb of weight loss per week) works for me. I try to exercise then eat some of those expended calories back (up to 50% is a good balance for me). I weigh, measure, and count my food as needed but if it's something healthy like fruit or non-starch veggies I estimate. I just finished up my first week of MFP and lost my usual amount for the first week. It's higher for the first week because you're usually going through your stored carbs and each carb molecule has four water molecules attached from what I remember from BioOrganic Chemistry.
    I used to do weight watchers online repeatedly but I want something I can do year round to maintain once I get to a lower weight. I feel like I know how to lose weight but I don't know how to maintain without tracking so I'll track until I get the hang of it.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Play-by-play talk about diet and exercise while you're losing weight is a bore to just about everyone who's not on a similar campaign. This is at least as true for wives as it is for husbands.

I choose to mention the subject briefly, maybe once a week, so she at least knows what's going on. You can talk specifics on MFP to your heart's content.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am sooooo very happy that my husband has joined me!! We have enjoyable conversations about what we ate for the day and our workouts!!! However, he is taking it a step further than me and is now talking about a vegetarian diet!!! :o
  • InesFit4Health
    InesFit4Health Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't have patience to measure, track and calculate calories. I have tried and I hate it. I do look at calorie content of things to be "Aware" but for the most part what has helped me a lot is these two things:

- Eat real, whole foods. Reduce the amount of pre-made, packet processed meals.
    - Don't drink your calories.
    - Exercise - goal 10k steps day, and weight lifting x2-x3 times a week.
  • Mandosca
    Options
    4theking wrote: »
    lol I certainly bore my wife a lot with diet and fitness talk.

Haha.. yes my husband is really getting sick of me talking about low carb vs vegetarian..
  • Mandosca
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nytfrost wrote: »
    For me, I've found that using the Mifflin-St. Jeor formula to calculate my recommended TDEE at sedentary then subtracting 500 calories (for 1 lb of weight loss per week) works for me. I try to exercise then eat some of those expended calories back (up to 50% is a good balance for me). I weigh, measure, and count my food as needed but if it's something healthy like fruit or non-starch veggies I estimate. I just finished up my first week of MFP and lost my usual amount for the first week. It's higher for the first week because you're usually going through your stored carbs and each carb molecule has four water molecules attached from what I remember from BioOrganic Chemistry.
    I used to do weight watchers online repeatedly but I want something I can do year round to maintain once I get to a lower weight. I feel like I know how to lose weight but I don't know how to maintain without tracking so I'll track until I get the hang of it.

I agree.. sadly I spent many years doing the next popular fad diet.. it took me many years but I've finally realized that calories in vs calories out is the best way. Just need to track every bite.. That said I will continue to watch my carbs but I'm not going to beat myself up if I have a cheat. :-)
  • Mandosca
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm jealous Joanna! I wish I could get my husband involved.. He is quite content eating whatever he wants.. and of course never gaining a pound lol..
  • Mandosca
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Play-by-play talk about diet and exercise while you're losing weight is a bore to just about everyone who's not on a similar campaign. This is at least as true for wives as it is for husbands.

I choose to mention the subject briefly, maybe once a week, so she at least knows what's going on. You can talk specifics on MFP to your heart's content.

That's the plan!
  • ireallylikemuffins
    ireallylikemuffins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I bore most of my friends and family, too! Feel free to add me as a friend! :smile: