Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Whole Milk is best.

I discovered that when I used Whole Milk with my cereal. I stopped snacking a lot and saved a lot of money from buying snacks from the vending machines.

When I drank other milk (i.e., Skim, Almond, Cashew) I snacked a lot and wasted money on vending machines and gained more calories, too.

From this point on, I'm going to have Whole Milk. Let's hear where you stand?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    The best milk is the one that you like the best and lets you meet your calorie goals. Sounds like you found yours, but I drink almond milk and I hit my calorie goals just fine.

This.

I love full fat milk but it doesnt really fit my cals and macros :cry:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    The best milk is the one that you like the best and lets you meet your calorie goals. Sounds like you found yours, but I drink almond milk and I hit my calorie goals just fine.

This. This is where I stand. I tend to not drink milk because no matter the type or fat content I want massive amounts of it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,104 Member
    I don't drink a lot of milk, but when I do I use 2%. Probably because that is what I grew up using and it is what I'm used to. I think your post would have been better if it said "I like whole milk best". Personally I find that if I have a good amount of protien at breakfast then I am less hungry and snacky the rest of the day so I rarely have cereal for breakfast. Doesn't mean that is best. Just what works best for me.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    My maintenance calories are only about 1600 so every calorie to me is precious. Because of that, I buy skim milk and I try not to drink my calories.

This, but when my calorie goal can afford it, there's nothing more delicious to me than a whole milk latte :)
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member

I drink almond milk and it works just fine for me as well. ^^^
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I currently have whole, 2%, and fat free Fairlife in my fridge. I like whole most of all but use whatever works with my goals each day.

Actually, my favorite milk is from a local dairy that doesn't homogenize. The cream rises to the top so when you buy a bottle of it, there is a cream plug on top. I love opening a bottle of whole milk and scooping it out to eat. Goodness, that is delicious.

Ooooh! Or when it plops out into my cup of coffee! :blush:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I currently have whole, 2%, and fat free Fairlife in my fridge. I like whole most of all but use whatever works with my goals each day.

Actually, my favorite milk is from a local dairy that doesn't homogenize. The cream rises to the top so when you buy a bottle of it, there is a cream plug on top. I love opening a bottle of whole milk and scooping it out to eat. Goodness, that is delicious.

Ooooh! Or when it plops out into my cup of coffee! :blush:

Yes!

My husband doesn't like that kind of milk at all. He calls it "chunky milk" :lol:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited July 2017
    I was maintaining obesity with a steady supply of 2% milk. Early on in my mfp experience I was persuaded by the LCHF advocates to switch to full fat whole milk. I did, but I also reduced the amount of milk I was consuming. Since I started using milk to make kefir and yogurt about 9 months ago, I almost always used whole milk for that. My recent batch of fat free yogurt from powdered milk has led me to my next experiment, which will include whole powdered milk in the mix. The neat thing about kefir is that once fermented, it doesn't go bad. There's no more discarding milk in my house now.

There were also recently a few weeks when my MRM vegan protein shake was taken with vanilla unsweetened almond milk. My taste expectations adjusted to the MRM and I no longer need the flavor adjustment from the almondmilk.

Edit to add a shout out to you @Bwrock84 for your 400+ lb loss! You inspire me!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Unsweetened almond or cashew is fine for me.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited July 2017
    I use Almond milk because I am lactose intolerant and would like to avoid the gastric distress in the morning.
    Whole Milk has more calories so it keeps you (the op) satiated so continue to drink it and good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I use Almond milk because I am lactose intolerant and would like to avoid the gastric distress in the morning.
    Whole Milk has more calories so it keeps you (the op) satiated so continue to drink it and good luck!

Just curious, do you have lactose-free milk where you live? That's what I buy.

I'm also lactose intolerant and we do but it's literally 4x the price of normal milk or soy milk. So soy milk it is for me. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I have discovered that this goes for "fat" all over, for myself - allowing just enough fat to make food taste right, using oil to fry, butter on sandwiches and porridge, olive oil on salads, fattier cuts of meat, real cheese, eating a variety of nuts, not draining or cutting off fat, makes food so much more tasty and eating so much more enjoyable; I'm not just more satiated, I'm more satisfied, so I'm content with smaller portions, and more relaxed. I don't crave sweets and snacks like I used to, or when I do, I can handle the cravings better, and when I can't, I can handle the cavings better :D
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »

Just curious, do you have lactose-free milk where you live? That's what I buy.

I do, but I don't like the taste. Its like ... if you have ever frozen milk by accident when in thaws it tastes different sweeter maybe idk but not the same.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I hate phlegm producing whole milk as a drink. ::sick::

I use milk only for cooking and then rarely higher than 2%. I rarely eat cereal but when I do it would be with almond or soy milk, whichever I happen to have on hand.

I rarely snack, lost weight just fine, been maintaining that loss for about 1.5 years.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I drink whole milk because I love it and it makes me sad not to have it. For me, the calorie tradeoff makes sense.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I hate phlegm producing whole milk as a drink. ::sick::

Thought that was a myth.

Either way, whole milk or not, milk and cereal just doesn't cut it for breakfast for me.