Hurt foot, no exercise for two weeks...

Options
I'm looking for some exercise ideas for someone with a bad sprain. Doctor says to stay off it as much as possible and no swimming either. There goes my couch to 5k progress :(

I'm going to knock my calorie count down a bit for the next two weeks but I'd love to hear any exercise ideas. I've been making some great progress and I don't want it to stop.

{Friend requests also gladly accepted}

Replies

• tumsashrinks
    tumsashrinks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can only recommend to listen to your doctors and really rest as long as they say. I started to walk again too quickly and too much and now, 3 weeks later, my ankle is properly messed up and even my knee is starting to hurt.

You can always lift dumbbells while sitting or try to search for "seated workout videos", I am doing those now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RonPrague wrote: »
    I'm looking for some exercise ideas for someone with a bad sprain. Doctor says to stay off it as much as possible and no swimming either. There goes my couch to 5k progress :(

I'm going to knock my calorie count down a bit for the next two weeks but I'd love to hear any exercise ideas. I've been making some great progress and I don't want it to stop.

{Friend requests also gladly accepted}

Listen to your doctor...
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It may be disheartening, but in the grand scope of things, 2 weeks isn't terribly long! You can pick up where you left off when you're all healed up. For now, maybe you could focus on upper body workouts? If you have some dumbbells, you can do a lot of seated exercises with them.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is what you eat. Many studies say this. Hope it keeps your spirits up.
    You might also lose a bit of weight due to muscle loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is what you eat. Many studies say this. Hope it keeps your spirits up.

100% of weight loss is what you eat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Take the time to heal. You would risk worse injury by defying your doctor's orders
  • leopardessa
    leopardessa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As everybody else said, follow the doctor's orders because if you hurt yourself, you may not be able to exercise for much longer than two weeks. I know it is disheartening, but the two weeks will go by fast and at least you can still focus on your diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Injuries come with the fitness territory...in the grand scheme of things, two weeks is nothing. Last year I was pretty much out of the game for 12 weeks and then another 6 weeks or so of easing back into things so I didn't re-injure. *kitten* happens...take the time to just heal up. Missing a couple of weeks is better than missing more time because you rushed to get back.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd discuss this with the treating physician to make sure I didn't do more harm.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

That really doesn't help. There's no way I would have been able to lose without exercise, personally... I'm just too hungry and don't have the willpower to deprive myself. I'd be miserable in OP's position.

OP, yeah, do sitting dumbbells exercises. Maybe push ups on one foot.