Mexican food

Options
I have been using this app faithfully for about 6 weeks and have lost 15 pounds. I've almost become addicted to it. Anyway, tomorrow I am having lunch with some friends at a Mexican place and their nutrional info is not listed anywhere. I will most likely order a soft taco with only meat and cheese. Can you guys tell me what you would log that as?

Replies

• brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    that sounds really sad ): where's the guac
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't find a restaurant website with a similar item, I would log each item in the taco separately, using my best estimate for the quantity.
  • GinaDanielle98
    GinaDanielle98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First things first, don't restrict yourself on your lunch out! Enjoy it, whatever you may eat (within reason lol).
    Many branded names do come up when you search in the food section, so if it's a chain restaurant it might come up?
    If not, I would just find the product with the closest description, probably not choosing the lowest or highest calorie option on the list!
    One lunch won't make a huge difference even if you are off a bit x
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    We eat Mexican a LOT. Get what you like, just be reasonable in portions and don't waste calories on the stuff that isn't that great. If the tortillas aren't homemade, they might not be worth it. I will usually get steak fajitas and skip the tortillas (or just eat one tortilla, if they're really good tortillas) and go to town on the meat and guacamole. And frijoles.

Skinny margarita, take it easy on the chips and salsa, and your lunch is probably somewhere in the 700-800 calorie range. Maybe not the count that you would usually aim for, but definitely do-able once in a while.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I would just look for a similar item from a chain mexican restaurant (Chuy's, On the Border, etc) and log that.

Don't forget chips and salsa - tasty but they add up! I usually try to split a single basket with my family and decline refills...
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can usually save some calories by getting corn tortillas instead of flour.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fajitas with corn tortillas!
  • revowens
    revowens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Skip the chips, part of the fun I know, but those things pack on the calories in a hurry. Enjoy and get back on the horse at the next meal.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that takes celery to a Mexican restaurant to eat with the salsa. I liked the idea so much, that now I do it. I don't care how crazy I look. Lol!
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There is a chain here in the southwest called Roberto's they list their nutritional info. Its a "fast food style" place.
    I use it a lot for any generic Mexican restaurant I go to for logging purposes. Most of their info is here in MFP database, but I always double check off the website.

http://www.robertos.us/nutritional.php
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    I often eat at a mom and pop Mexican food restaurant that doesn't have nutritional info. I just log it as Abuelo's which is a similar chain. I do that with any restaurant that doesn't list their info. Just find a chain that has similar food and use their entries. It isn't perfect, but it will work.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    We eat Mexican a LOT. Get what you like, just be reasonable in portions and don't waste calories on the stuff that isn't that great. If the tortillas aren't homemade, they might not be worth it. I will usually get steak fajitas and skip the tortillas (or just eat one tortilla, if they're really good tortillas) and go to town on the meat and guacamole. And frijoles.

Skinny margarita, take it easy on the chips and salsa, and your lunch is probably somewhere in the 700-800 calorie range. Maybe not the count that you would usually aim for, but definitely do-able once in a while.

I always judge my Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants on the flour tortillas: if they're not homemade, that place is dead to me.

However corn tortillas are a definite hit or miss if they're homemade at a restaurant so doesn't matter much there. If you can't live without your tacos and want to keep the calories minimal, then go for the corn. I would advise to stick to meat, veggies, salsa, and charro beans. And yeah, the chips can add up so be careful.

If it's a delicious Mexican place, you also have the choice to take the L and start over again the next meal/day :)
  • Lovoas
    Lovoas Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Listen, I lost 124lb using this app, and I am just gonna say this:
    Splurge once in a while. I'm not saying splurge daily, weekly, or whatever, but once in while, enjoy a taco with everything on it. I used to have biweekly cheat days, and I don't have a problem with cravings now. Three years ago, I went from 300lb to 270lb and didn't allow myself those days, and before I knew it, I was binge eating my way back to 300lb.

I'm currently at 183lb
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I get Mexican once a week. I get fajitas every time, don't eat the tortillas. Or pozole. Or asada. Damnit, want to eat there tonight.