Runners, what would you do?

Options
I started running in April, and am up to 16-20 miles a week. Up until now I have had no problems.

Sunday of last week I rolled my left ankle a little bit turning the corner to go up a hill. I barely noticed it when it happened. I biked Monday then ran again Tuesday and it felt fine. Wednesday after I biked it was very swollen and a bit painful to the touch. So I rested it yesterday in hopes that it would be okay to run on today.

So, this morning I did my 4 miles and now it is pretty tender. It felt okay while I was running but I could definitely feel it everytime I landed on it. My question for you is, would you continue to run on it and then ice and ibuprofen after the run or would you give it some time to heal and hope that next week it will feel better? I am really hesitant to take a week off but I want to do what is best for it so I am able to run long term. Is it okay to run through a little bit of pain or should I take this as an indication from my body that there is something wrong? I would really appreciate some advice from you more seasoned runners. Thank you!

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump! Curious to know some answers from experienced runners :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I would rest it - why take a chance on doing more serious damage to it, which could then put you out of commission for a much longer time?
  • Lauren1983
    Options
    Rest it! Go to runnersworld on the Beginners Forum and post this there, very insightful people over there. Good luck!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Having pushed through pain in my knee and running a 5K with that pain, and then ending up on crutches for a week and still hurting two months later, I would just not run til it feels better. SO hard to not run when you really want to, but training injuries can take forever to heal if you over-do it, as I found out. I was hoping to be able to run by fall, but the dr said not to push it too hard and to just do what I can for now. Ugh.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest it for at least a week. In my experience, pushing through the pain only makes it waaaay worse down the road. Give it a week or two and try to do low impact cross training in the meantime. Good luck and be patient!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hate to disappoint, but you need to rest that ankle. If you don't rest it for a least a few days its way more likely that the healing process will take a lot longer and you will be continuing to ice it and take ibuprofen for awhile after runs. I'd ice it a few times a day and wrap it.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    I started running in April, and am up to 16-20 miles a week. Up until now I have had no problems.

Sunday of last week I rolled my left ankle a little bit turning the corner to go up a hill. I barely noticed it when it happened. I biked Monday then ran again Tuesday and it felt fine. Wednesday after I biked it was very swollen and a bit painful to the touch. So I rested it yesterday in hopes that it would be okay to run on today.

So, this morning I did my 4 miles and now it is pretty tender. It felt okay while I was running but I could definitely feel it everytime I landed on it. My question for you is, would you continue to run on it and then ice and ibuprofen after the run or would you give it some time to heal and hope that next week it will feel better? I am really hesitant to take a week off but I want to do what is best for it so I am able to run long term. Is it okay to run through a little bit of pain or should I take this as an indication from my body that there is something wrong? I would really appreciate some advice from you more seasoned runners. Thank you!

If there is one thing that I know about runners is we runners really know how to hurt ourselves! :smile:

For minor Sprains:
    The one and only word runners should remember when it comes to inury is PRICE (Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

Ice should be applied for 20 minutes at a time and then off for 40 minutes. Avoid damaging your skin with the chemical bags from your freezer.

If the ankle doesn't respond quickly then seek treatment from a sports physician.

For mild to moderate sprains:
    First week:
    Flex the region
    Use a night splint
    use a brace when walking
    Second and Third Week:
    Continue flexing
    continue night splints
    Exercise the area
    use a theraband for stretching for 6 weeks
    Fourth Week:
    Try some strength training
    use rocker techniques - rotate foot front to back, side to side, circular motions clockwise and counterclockwise, balance on 1 foot

When you can walk down steps without pain or hop 4 times without pain then you are ready to resume running.

Severe Sprains:
    The cornerstone treatment is immobilization.

I hope this helps!
  • mmjones2006
    mmjones2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As has been said already, you need to rest the ankle to allow it to heal. Everytime you run you are causing more injury in the ankle and actually are at a bigger risk for injuring it worse.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Rest it! Go to runnersworld on the Beginners Forum and post this there, very insightful people over there. Good luck!

Thanks, I will try this too. I am thinking I will pretty much get the same sort of response. Not what I want to hear but it makes the most sense. Thanks for your help guys.
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options

Definitely rest! Ice, ibuprofen and rest until it really feels better. Kudos on getting into the sport, it's great fun! And it's even better injury-free. Get well soon! :flowerforyou:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Give it a week without hesitation. Then re-evalutate.

More people get hurt trying to run thru little injuries & they turn them into big ones.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know, go see a PT or doctor.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I would go to the doctor. You may have a stress fracture or something and it's better to rule out that before you stress it any further. And if it's not broken, I'd still give it a few days' rest. You don't want to risk a bigger injury that will take you out long-term...