gym classes

Options
Hi,

Not been in a gym for ages until last week (trial membership). I'm looking to try some classes.
I've lost 18lb in 11 weeks but thought I will give the gym ago.
A: Will the gym help with weight loss (been jog/walking twice a week since about march)
B: There are a few classes I like the sound of but don't know if they will be suitable for a very overweight 5ft 4 40 year old. Can anyone tell me how intense they are?
The classes are: Legs, bums and tums, bodypump, boxercise, zumba and clubercise.
C: I have something wrong with my knee (can't remember what docs said when I was a teenager) that makes it 'jump' and so the two times I've been to the gym since joining I've found myself predominantly on the exercise bike, what other things would be good for me?

Thanks

Comms

Replies

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    All classes with a good instructor can be suitably scaled. talk to the instructor and flag up any concerns you have. secondly work within your limits.
    I've done body pump and that is different weight exercises, high reps to music. you can pick your weight
    boxercise is boxing to music - really good.
    zumba is dancing and again completely able to do at your own pace.
    take it easy and go at your own pace! x
  • commsgirl2016
    commsgirl2016 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    I do like the sound of boxercise :-)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Every instructor is going to be different but they should all scale any exercises to your abilities. When I started I had to modify every single exercise, seriously I couldn't even do a crunch let alone a burpee, a year on and my instructor is starting to scale my exercises up to make them harder.

Anyway the different classes I've taken with my instructor ;

Zumba, fast paced, bouncy, cardio that can burn a lot of Calories while having fun. How many Calories you burn depends on the Instructor, which tracks they play and how much effort you put in yourself. If you don't jump around in the high paced tracks then you won't burn as many Calories. When I started I could burn in excess of 450 Calories in 45minutes, now I'm fitter it's more like 300 and I throw myself in to it.

Legs, Bums and Tums : this tends to be less cardio based and far more very high rep bodyweight strength. So lots and lots of squats, lunges, crunches, heel taps, leg raises, donkey kicks and far, far more. My Instructor holds 2 classes a week, one is pure legs bums and tums the other she adds arms by request of the regulars. Now I can squat with my bodyweight on my back but the reps in these classes are in a different class. Done wonders for my legs and core though.

Boxercise : I both love and hate boxercise, it's not just boxing there's generally a lot of running involved along with squats, burpees, sit ups, skipping and lots more. Depending on the class plan I can easily burn 300+ Calories and very often ache after.

Bodypump : Not tried this yet, first class is a week on Monday, but similar to legs bums and tums it's high rep (relatively) low weight using a barbell, so squats, lunges, rows, bench, clean and press.

Never tried Clubercise, assuming it's similar to Zumba.

If they are available other classes to try that are great for building fitness and endurance are Insanity (very hard but again can be scaled) and boot camp style.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I may be biased but I would say try Zumba. I'm a Zumba instructor and before I became one, I lost thirty plus pounds eating right and doing Zumba 4 times a week. It's so much fun and easy to modify. People of all sizes and ages can do it and the class is a great workout!
  • commsgirl2016
    Options
    Thanks Firefly. Think I best try zumba and clubbercise first then. With my weight and dodgy knee don't think I would be able to do a burpees and squats (was hoping more jogging/boxing :-( )
    Off to look at what other classes there are.
  • commsgirl2016
    Options
    Littlechipin, Zumba does sound fun :-)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You should ask at the front desk. Not every class is suitable for every level.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    In my experience (and it depends on the gym) the general classes will usually be suitable to most any level of fitness - while the instruction applies to the whole class, each individual can tailor the exercise to their abilities, either in choosing the appropriate weight, or speed, or whathaveyou. Most of the classes I see have a pretty wide range of participants.

I would usually recommend going to the first class early enough to talk to the instructor and get a feel for the expectation. A good instructor, knowing that it's your first class, will take a little bit extra time to give you instruction and might give you some modifications to make the class a little easier the first time, so that you don't burn out right away.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try all of them and see what you like. They can all be modified to your abilities.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Try all of them and see what you like. They can all be modified to your abilities.

True that. I have traditionally worked out with free weights. I was getting bored (again) and thought I would try a class at the gym, I'm a member at Lifetime Fitness. The first class I tried I loved, barbell strength. It's a heck of a workout but I enjoy it anyways. LOL
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Littlechipin, Zumba does sound fun :-)

It Is! The success and fun I've found with it actually inspired me to become a Zumba instructor and I have! Highly recommend you try it!