Breastfeeding mom with 70 pounds to lose. Need motivational friends!

I'm back on MFP after having my third and final child, and I'm looking forward to getting this baby weight off. I lost 80 pounds after having my first child 9 years ago. Three years ago, I got pregnant with my second, and put it all back on. Lost some of the weight before my third and again put on the weight. Trying not to be discouraged, as I have lost almost 50 pounds since giving birth. Because I'm breastfeeding, I'm hearing different advice on dieting. Is my calorie goal supposed to be 1500? Can I do low carb? Should I take it easy to exercise? I'm having a hard time reducing my carb intake and need to try harder. I do yoga for exercise as well as low impact exercises like walking and some strength training. Looking for other breastfeeding moms to help me stay focused!

Replies

• AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2017
    I lost about 35 pounds almost 2 years ago using mfp, breastfeeding and eating 1500 calories. I had no supply issues from it, but the midwife nurse tore my head off for it. I felt fine, my daughter was fine so I basically ignored her and carried on my merry way. I got to a comfortable weight and started drinking, and got a job. So all that and now im back with a good 40 pounds to lose. I'll add send you an and, im not currently a breastfeeding dieting mom, but I've been there.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Hi! I am a mom too and lost over 55 lbs all while breastfeeding! My LO is 16 months, still nursing, and I did it mostly by cleaning up my diet, and LIFTING! Its way more fun than cardio so that is my advice :) Throw in some HIIT cardio for more effective weight loss IMO.

How far postpartum are you? If you are at least 6 months out I personally think you can resume all physical activity. And of course don't completely restrict your calories. Some carbs are okay, but I try to limit them to complex carbs.
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Sure, add me!
  • erikajadeb15
    erikajadeb15 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm also in the breastfeeding want to lose weight boat. I'm 7weeks pp and I've got about 30lbs to go. Does anyone else find themselves ravenous pretty much all the time?
  • littlewingbs348
    littlewingbs348 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi! I am a mom too and lost over 55 lbs all while breastfeeding! My LO is 16 months, still nursing, and I did it mostly by cleaning up my diet, and LIFTING! Its way more fun than cardio so that is my advice :) Throw in some HIIT cardio for more effective weight loss IMO.

How far postpartum are you? If you are at least 6 months out I personally think you can resume all physical activity. And of course don't completely restrict your calories. Some carbs are okay, but I try to limit them to complex carbs.

I started exercising a lot and doing yoga. That seemed to work until my left knee started to give me problems. HIIT probably isn't in the cards for me but I can definitely start lifting a little. My LO is just shy of 4 months, but I feel mostly back to normal. I also go walking with the kids. It's beneficial for everyone!

I just upped my cals from 1200-1500. I don't usually eat much overly processed foods, and I try to stick to complex carbs and whole grains. I can feel that sweet tooth creeping back after I had some birthday cake recently lol
    I'm also in the breastfeeding want to lose weight boat. I'm 7weeks pp and I've got about 30lbs to go. Does anyone else find themselves ravenous pretty much all the time?

First off congrats on your LO! And Oh my gosh girl I could not get enough to eat or drink the first few weeks after my kids were born. Worse than when I was pregnant lol. It's died down after the six week mark, then I got some of my hormones in check enough to start logging and making the attempt to be disciplined about my food decisions. You've got this!
  • icvmom427
    icvmom427 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm also breastfeeding and need to lose about 80 lbs. This is my 4th baby and I've GAINED with every single kid while breastfeeding. I'm always hungry and any big decrease in calories kills my milk supply. I'm also taking domperidone to help my poor milk supply which can also cause weight gain. I've been experimenting with my calories and I think I've figured out I need to be eating around 2000-2300. It seems like a lot and the weight loss is super slow but I have to eat that much to keep a good milk supply. I've also noticed that cutting carbs hurts my milk supply so I try not to cut anything out of my diet. Please feel free to add me. I could definitely use some support!