Sneaky Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Food labels can be sneaky when the serving size is a ridiculous size that no one can eat. I've been caught out a few times like this when I've not been concentrating. One example was a croissant where the calories were listed for a serving size of 1/3rd of the croissant. Who eats 1/3rd of a croissant?

I've mentioned this before and I will again (such is my pain at the discovery) but Pop Tarts - sold in boxes, inside the box is a silver plastic pouch which contains 2 pop tarts. I assumed that the nutritional information was for one serving, i.e. a pouch containing 2 pop tarts - but No!! a pouch is 2 servings!! The cruel, cruel *kitten*!!

Now, too be fair, there's quite a difference between "I didn't check the nutrition" and "I saw the nutrition and didn't agree with the serving."

If you want to budget 400 calories for Pop Tarts, take both -- but that's a pretty big breakfast. If you're happy with the recommended size as one for a snack of breakfast, then you can get away with 200.

re: The stuff in bold. I don't think I understand what you're saying.

"I didn't check the nutrition" = I didn't bother to read the label and I think the calories were sneaky

"I saw the nutrition and I didn't agree with the serving" = I read the label, and I think that a serving is really more than the label says

I was commenting, similar to jesspen91, that the serving size caught me out. So you second option. Was/is that something that I shouldn't have done?

I'm still confused. "To be fair".... To who?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's food, so I wouldn't call it sneaky. But food packaging/labeling can certainly be misleading. You really need to watch serving sizes. The biggest eye-opener for me was that ONE stupid pop-tart is a serving, not 2 as they are packaged.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the opposite of sneaky calories. It has a great calorie to protein ratio. And never mind that low fat stuff IMHO. Fat is delicious and satiating!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    It's food, so I wouldn't call it sneaky. But food packaging/labeling can certainly be misleading. You really need to watch serving sizes. The biggest eye-opener for me was that ONE stupid pop-tart is a serving, not 2 as they are packaged.

Yeah, you really have to pay attention. We had donuts the other day, I looked at the calories - 350. Thought, well, that's not too bad. And then read the rest of the label - a serving size was 1/2 a donut. Decided it wasn't worth that many calories for a measly 1/2 donut. I can eat a nice big bowl of ice cream for that many calories!
  • Rhayemun
    Rhayemun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    CONDIMENTS DAMN YOU!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Yeah, you really have to pay attention. We had donuts the other day, I looked at the calories - 350. Thought, well, that's not too bad. And then read the rest of the label - a serving size was 1/2 a donut. Decided it wasn't worth that many calories for a measly 1/2 donut. I can eat a nice big bowl of ice cream for that many calories!

Yikes. What kind of donuts is that?
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

YES! And Amy's Frozen Enchiladas. One package has 2 enchiladas (a nice little frozen lunch), but the calories listed are only for 1 enchilada! Got to keep those eyes sharp :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember a poster on here whose aunt was deliberately sabotaging her weight loss efforts by putting butter in her coffee when she wasn't looking. Now that's some sneaky calories!

@JaydedMiss this was you, yes? How's the aunt?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Food labels can be sneaky when the serving size is a ridiculous size that no one can eat. I've been caught out a few times like this when I've not been concentrating. One example was a croissant where the calories were listed for a serving size of 1/3rd of the croissant. Who eats 1/3rd of a croissant?

I've mentioned this before and I will again (such is my pain at the discovery) but Pop Tarts - sold in boxes, inside the box is a silver plastic pouch which contains 2 pop tarts. I assumed that the nutritional information was for one serving, i.e. a pouch containing 2 pop tarts - but No!! a pouch is 2 servings!! The cruel, cruel *kitten*!!

Now, too be fair, there's quite a difference between "I didn't check the nutrition" and "I saw the nutrition and didn't agree with the serving."

If you want to budget 400 calories for Pop Tarts, take both -- but that's a pretty big breakfast. If you're happy with the recommended size as one for a snack of breakfast, then you can get away with 200.

"I didn't check the nutrition" = I didn't bother to read the label and I think the calories were sneaky

"I saw the nutrition and I didn't agree with the serving" = I read the label, and I think that a serving is really more than the label says

Yes, cereal is a good example of this. Who would ever think to eat just an ounce of cereal?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »

Yikes. What kind of donuts is that?

It was a chocolate donut - had a thick chocolate coating. Was a package I picked up at Costco, think it was Franz. I knew it was calorific, but 700 for one donut surprised me.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, cereal is a good example of this. Who would ever think to eat just an ounce of cereal?

I do? I usually have about 35 grams worth, which is slightly more than an ounce. If I have the calories to spare in the day, I'll bump up to 50 grams, so just shy of 2 ounces. That always feels like a lot to me.

You can learn to be satisfied on less.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I do? I usually have about 35 grams worth, which is slightly more than an ounce. If I have the calories to spare in the day, I'll bump up to 50 grams, so just shy of 2 ounces. That always feels like a lot to me.

Is this always how you ate cereal or learned behavior once you started looking to lose weight?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Is this always how you ate cereal or learned behavior once you started looking to lose weight?

Hard to tell, really. I didn't use to be a cereal person until I realized that I was OK with the amount that a serving size was, and that it was a good breakfast to replace my regular latte. And that was after I started tracking on MFP -- I've tracked for five years now.

But, regardless, you can still learn to be satisfied on less food. I was *shocked* when I first started Weight Watchers and saw what a "normal" portion size was for, say, rice, compared to what I was eating. That was a rougher adjustment, but a good lesson to learn.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    From the title i thought this would be about the spiders and moths people eat in thier sleep

Right? How do you log those?
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    From the title i thought this would be about the spiders and moths people eat in thier sleep

There are listings for insects and generic insects in the database! Lol!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

There are listings for insects and generic insects in the database! Lol!

My favorite thread of all time:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436997/i-swallowed-a-bug/p1
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Apparently after researchers filmed folks for a year the average is 6 spiders a year so log on a bi-monthly basis one medium spider raw?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Nothing is sneaky if the calories are on the package and you track them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Giving my 2 cents here, when I was a kid, my mom used to buy those individual boxes of cereal, so I always knew what a serving is supposed to be like.