what can i do with a broken toe?

Options
jessiferrrb
jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
obvious things are obviously out (running, elliptical, plank, ballet in toe shoes . . .) but other than upper body lifting, what is safe to do?

i'm going to give it some time for the swelling to go down and i'm mostly concerned with the hit to my tdee since my walking is curbed: taking the dog out for shorter walks, getting off at a train stop closer to my job than normal, and things like that are taking the biggest hit.

are there fidgety things i can do at my desk? at home?

i may try hooping next week if i keep my feet in place and there's not too much shifting of weight into my toes, i don't know since i've never had to pay attention to it before.

at the gym, can i squat if i push through my heels?

just looking for suggestions that i may not have thought of on my own, sarcastic and ridiculous answers will also be taken under consideration.

giphy.gif

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Seated or chair exercise......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe 2 years ago (which took 8 months to heal) :'( and was in a boot for over 4 months. I didn't work out at all but lost 45lbs during that time due to diet alone. Sorry I can't be more helpful with exercises but wanted to let you know that there is hope!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    obvious things are obviously out (running, elliptical, plank, ballet in toe shoes . . .) but other than upper body lifting, what is safe to do?

i'm going to give it some time for the swelling to go down and i'm mostly concerned with the hit to my tdee since my walking is curbed: taking the dog out for shorter walks, getting off at a train stop closer to my job than normal, and things like that are taking the biggest hit.

i may try hooping next week if i keep my feet in place and there's not too much shifting of weight into my toes, i don't know since i've never had to pay attention to it before.

just looking for suggestions that i may not have thought of on my own, sarcastic and ridiculous answers will also be taken under consideration.

giphy.gif

More than people think depending on which toe is broken.

I play catcher in baseball and played/stole bases with a broken toe on more than one occasion.

If you are on your toes in squatting then the cue of "push through heels" might be useful, but one should push through entire foot, not heels. If the weight is noticeably on your toes, your form is off for one reason or another.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

More than people think depending on which toe is broken.

I play catcher in baseball and played/stole bases with a broken toe on more than one occasion.

If you are on your toes in squatting then the cue of "push through heels" might be useful, but one should push through entire foot, not heels. If the weight is noticeably on your toes, your form is off for one reason or another.

I had assumed reading it initially, that it was the big/great toe, but on re-reading it's not stated.

IF it's an interior toe(2,3,4) Pending doctors consult you can do just about whatever you want as long as you tape up. IF it's 1/5. then Yeah, there's a lot less you can do.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I broke a toe three times. It hurts a lot. Rest!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Can you ride a bike? I know it's not the same thing, but when I was in a boot for a stress fracture in my metatarsal, I was able to ride a bike (per my doctor) on a flat bike path and on the trainer in my basement.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I broke my right foot pinkie toe a few months ago. I put a cotton ball in between that toe and my next one and kept it taped all day (removed the tape when I slept) and was able to continue lifting at home just fine because I lift there barefoot.

Walking and most other cardio was out until it healed. It would help to know which toe the OP broke.
  • cbailey989
    cbailey989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    maybe rowing? low impact great cardio
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've broken a few toes in my time. I just taped it and carried on with my usual activities, running included after the first week and half. Cycling didn't bother it at all.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Tape it up, rub some dirt on it and then become Captain Upper Body until it heals.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Again, which toe? You can do most things with a broken secondary toe. Rule of thumb, if it hurts, stop. Otherwise, tape it and carry on.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    it's the 4th toe, currently taped to the 3rd toe. the top portion right now wiggles side to side instead of just curling up and down like a toe should. right now, everything hurts, so i'm taking it easy but i'm down to be captain upper body for sure.
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I broke my right foot pinkie toe a few months ago. I put a cotton ball in between that toe and my next one and kept it taped all day (removed the tape when I slept) and was able to continue lifting at home just fine because I lift there barefoot.

Walking and most other cardio was out until it healed. It would help to know which toe the OP broke.

i wonder if my gym (in an apt. building) would let me lift barefoot.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I've broken the same big toe twice. My advice is to let it heal properly.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    it's the 4th toe, currently taped to the 3rd toe. the top portion right now wiggles side to side instead of just curling up and down like a toe should. right now, everything hurts, so i'm taking it easy but i'm down to be captain upper body for sure.
    BZAH10 wrote: »

i wonder if my gym (in an apt. building) would let me lift barefoot.

You can probably get away with leg press, if it's too much to squat. Or other machines for lower body. Not ideal, but it might be a workaround to help you at least feel better about doing something for lower body.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I would assume you could do anything if you wrap it right.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I broke my little toe and continued on with my walking.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You can do a lot. Cycling, leg press, leg extension, Hamstring, squat(use the smith machine if you want) etc. Your toe is broken. Not your foot nor your legs. Just consider the weight and be conscious of not putting any weight towards your toes. Be smart and work around it.

Also depending how severe it is, let it recover. Resting is part of training too.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I broke a toe a week before a half marathon this May. It was a displaced fracture, so my ortho was pretty strict with me (I went, after going to urgent care to rule *out* a break, only to have them be all "OH, no, you can't put weight on this!", so I went to the ortho/sports medicine to figure out how to safely do the race) and what I was allowed to do.

Basically, the only things that were "in" were swimming, small amounts of walking (basically, only walking necessary to get to work), strength training, core work, and kettlebell.

Because of how mine was broken, I was expressedly forbidden from barre, spinning, hiking, etc. -- basically, anything that required gripping or pedaling.

Those four weeks were awful.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on how bad it is broken and how you handle injuries. What did your doctor say?

I have a broken finger right now and I'm still lifting since I have a powerlifting meet in a week. I broke my ankle and my pelvis in 2005 (both very bad breaks), but I continued to run and be active. Others might not be able to do that and others have worked through worse.