Metabolic testing - YAY!!

Options
Metabolic testing (New Leaf) was worth the expense! I have just adjusted my calorie and exercise goals based upon actual needs. If you look at my diary, don't freak out when you see 1036 as my calorie goal - my actual calorie goal *with exercise calories* is a minimum of 1200.

Here's how I got the 1036: My measured resting metabolic rate is 1097, way the heck lower than any calculator I've used. The one at the link below calculated it at 1486!! http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

So... no wonder those regular equations weren't working for me - it was overestimating by 400 calories per week - I would GAIN 1.1 pounds per week when starting from calculated BMR! With regular daily activity accounted for, my daily calorie requirement is 1536. In order to lose 1 pound per week, I need to have a 500 calorie per day deficit, or 3500 calories per week. That brings me to my "goal" of 1036 calories (1536 - 500). However, I shouldn't eat below 1200 calories, so that means that I MUST EXERCISE every day to safely achieve a 500 calorie deficit. I know, it's confusing, and MFP doesn't allow me to tweak BMR, which I'm now lucky enough to have! Maybe I should suggest an alternative equation for people who have had metabolic testing.

The other thing I got was an analysis of how my body burns calories at different heart rates and I have accurate intensity zones and am awaiting the personal trainer's individualized workouts. I will return for testing in about 12 weeks to see if I've managed to make improvements to both BMR and fitness.

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    where can i do this? and what was the cost?
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    More info please. Where can you get tested and how much?
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Id like to know as well I have had thyroid issues in the past!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cynusps
    cynusps Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ned more info ont his testing please.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. Definitely would love to know the cost of this!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There is a testing locator on their page:

http://www.newleaffitness.com/

I would think the cost would vary greatly depending on the facility offering the testing. I got it at a health club - I think there are sports medicine facilities and other places that may offer it. Let's just say I paid upwards of $200 - and that includes a mask kit which you keep for future testing.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP-

Do you mind telling me what your stats are? Age, Height, Weight, and bodyfat% (if you know this)?

Thanks.
  • RagtimeLady
    Options
    For joejccva71:

Weight: 177
    Height: 5'5"
    Body Fat: 35.5% (according to my scanning scale - website calculator says 41, so who knows?)

Been in menopause for a while. Formerly on meds that whacked my metabolism.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Here me out for a sec, bear with me. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but by using the Cunningham formula for RMR and then using the Katch-McArdle formula for BMR I get these numbers based on your height, weight and bf%:

Cunningham formula for RMR:
    RMR = 500 + [22 x FFM]

FFM (Fat Free Mass) = Weight (KG) - FM (Fat Mass)

If you weigh 177 then to get your KG you just divide by 2.2 which equals 80 kg for you. Then you get your Fat Mass we need to multiply your weight in KG times 0.35 (you have 35% bf) which equals 28kg. Then we subtract your Fat Mass (28kg) from your total weight in kg which equals 52kg.

Then using the formula above we do the math. 22 x 52 = 1144 + 500 = 1644 which is your Resting Metabolic Rate. This is of course we are accurate with your bodyfat%.

Katch-McArdle formula for BMR:
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
    Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Since you weigh 80kg and have 35% bf we do the numbers. Your LBM is 52kg. We take 21.6 x 52 then add 370 which is 1493.

So if my calculations are correct:

Your BMR is 1493, while your RMR is 1644. This is WITHOUT exercise or doing any kind of walking or stuff during the day.

You see where I'm going with this. :)
  • RagtimeLady
    Options

Your BMR is 1493, while your RMR is 1644. This is WITHOUT exercise or doing any kind of walking or stuff during the day.

And that, my friend, is the trouble with calculations. I had the mask on yesterday and my ACTUAL RMR is 1097. It doesn't matter what the standard charts say.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I see that they have testing facilities at LifeTime Fitness. I had mine done at Lifetime, presumably by this group, a while back. Then in December, my doc did some testing prior to my starting my fitness program. The results were quite different, to the tune of over 500 calories per day. My doctor's testing showed that i had a slightly higher than average metabolism, the one at the fitness club showed lower than average.

So even with the high-tech testing, there can be variations in the result. Dunno which was more accurate, but i can say that the more recent one from my doc is more in line with the standard calculations.

It's kind of like my blood pressure. I've got three electronic cuffs that i use to monitor, and within a five minute span, i can get 3 very different readings.
  • JennsLosing
    Options

And that, my friend, is the trouble with calculations. I had the mask on yesterday and my ACTUAL RMR is 1097. It doesn't matter what the standard charts say.
    i dont understand why ppl are trying to argue with you when you did testing for it
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    Interesting. I see that they have testing facilities at LifeTime Fitness. I had mine done at Lifetime, presumably by this group, a while back. Then in December, my doc did some testing prior to my starting my fitness program. The results were quite different, to the tune of over 500 calories per day. My doctor's testing showed that i had a slightly higher than average metabolism, the one at the fitness club showed lower than average.

So even with the high-tech testing, there can be variations in the result. Dunno which was more accurate, but i can say that the more recent one from my doc is more in line with the standard calculations.

It's kind of like my blood pressure. I've got three electronic cuffs that i use to monitor, and within a five minute span, i can get 3 very different readings.

maybe it was because your in better health, lower body fat than when you first did it? what was the time lapse between the first test and the second?
  • joejccva71
    Options

i dont understand why ppl are trying to argue with you when you did testing for it

Not trying to argue but it seems awfully low.

Because if her RMR is 1097 then that means her BMR is roughly 800 which I find very hard to believe especially with her height, weight, and bf%.

I'll let it go though.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Not trying to argue but it seems awfully low.

Because if her RMR is 1097 then that means her BMR is roughly 800 which I find very hard to believe especially with her height, weight, and bf%.

I'll let it go though.

I agree, it seems a hokey to me.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I also have to pipe in here, and I am not arguing.
    But I would have to say that in all of the years of seeing patients and counseling for weight loss, I have never ever seen someone with an RMR and BMR this low...

Also I strongly questions your body fat percentage. Your lean muscle greatly influences your BMR ... so if you want to increase your BMR than you need to increase your lean muscle mass. Your estimate of 35.5% is just that ... an estimate. You need to get your body fat measured by BodPod if available or by calipers if not available.

Case in point... your 35.5% is way off of what I would expect for that weight and height. Heck at 239 pounds by body fat is 31% which means that I have more lean muscle than you do.

I would strongly advise you to work on strength training and muscle building which will increase your BMR over time.
  • RagtimeLady
    Options
    Hey, guys... I was not tested for BMR, which must be done just after waking. And regarding how low it is, here's the deal:

1.) Menopause
    2.) Low thyroid, but not low enough to treat
    3.) Antidepressant
    4.) Quit smoking (previously, restarted because of weight hit, but metabolism does not recover)

All of those things can whack someone's metabolism.

Have you guys even looked at my diary? It tells the tale - 2 weeks of net calories of 1000 or less (and that means I eat back most of my exercise calories and stay over 1200/day) and 600 calorie workouts and I have GAINED weight. The RMR I was given does make sense to me.

I have a doctor appt next week - I plan to run the results past him.