Am I reading the app correctly?

Options
LH2007
LH2007 Posts: 15 Member
Okay so here is my day as of right now. The app is telling me I have 500 calories left to eat today. I have my polar a370 on and it updates throughout the day so I have the negative calories set. So do I want to eat the 500 calories or do I want this number to be 500 or 750 depending on how much weight I want to loose? I don't think I have been using the app properly and it's about time I figure it out. cc1rmdyi1q6v.png

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat 578 more calories based on what is shown above.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    They have it written out in a really stupid way.
    Easy way to think of it is (Daily goal + exercise) - Cals eaten
    So... 1200 goal + 461 exercise = 1661 total cals available to eat
    1661 - 1083 already ate = 578 left to eat
  • LH2007
    Options
    Thank you! I think I've been under eating this while time
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The data that you entered into MFP when you set up your goals already includes your daily calorie deficit. When you exercise you get "extra" calories credited that you can eat if you chose. I experimented with my exercise calories from my Fitbit Charge and find that even when I eat them all back, I still lose as expected, so the calorie estimates are pretty accurate for me. Some people say they're too high and chose not to eat them all back. Experiment with it and you'll quickly figure out what works best for you.

Personally, I'm of the "eat as much as I can and still lose weight" school of thought, but you might feel different.
  • LH2007
    Options
    Okay this is driving me BONKERS! When I went to bed last night I had 230 calories remaining....When I woke up I was negative 19....I understand that it fluctuates based on daily activity but how am I supposed to know where I should be? I didn't eat past dinnertime so I am confused! n494j6ntwwld.jpg
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about going over by 19 kcal.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That's the pitfall of using an activity tracker with negative Calorie adjustment. It estimates how many Calories you need. But, then you go to bed and are less active, so its estimate turns out to be not quite right.

The good news? 19 Calories is such a small part of your daily deficit that it's basically negligible. You'll still lose weight - provided your inputs are all correct - just a tiny fraction less than you expect. As in, less than 0.1 lb less than you expect.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I rarely eat my exercise calories lost. I don't lose when I do. And what you show leftover for that day was mostly your exercise calories you worked off.
  • LH2007
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I'm going to turn off negative adjustments. 19 calories is t bad but some days it changes to 100+. Weightloss is frustrating
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I set to sedentary and turned off the negative adjustments. Seems much simpler.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    LH2007 wrote: »
    Thanks all! I think I'm going to turn off negative adjustments. 19 calories is t bad but some days it changes to 100+. Weightloss is frustrating

I would recommend to leave negative adjustments on and use that as a learning tool to inform you how active or not you really are.

I have had a Fitbit synced for two years now. I am set to MFP Sedentary in maintenance, and on days I mostly work at the computer, I sometimes end up with negative Calories for the day. I also end up with negative adjustments when I am sick and mostly in bed all day.

For me at maintenance, it is important to know that I can not eat as much as a more active day. I kept negative adjustments enabled when I had to take off five pounds, and it was a great motivator to move more. Since I usually do not go to bed until after 11 p.m., I normally do not have a surprise in the morning.

Over time, you will get to know how many Calories you will lose from the time you go to bed until midnight.
  • 21ttomlinson
    21ttomlinson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been advised not to eat the extra calories. So I put my exercise in late in the evening. Good luck on your weight loss