Does anyone have EA Sports Active 2??

Options
I got this on weds and have done 2 days so far, OMG.... I am in such pain, i can barely walk..... Have also realised that due to the game having its own hrm, the calories earned from exercise on here are way way over.....

I think it is going to be good though, have just started the 3 week program, just to see how it goes.

Was just wondering if anyone else has this too and how they are getting on with it?

Claire

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I ♥ Active 2. Although my friend bought the Polar Ft4 HRM and said the HR monitor on the active 2 states she burned only 1/2 the calories that she actually did. So I don't know how accurate it is. I like that you don't have to use the controllers for every workout or can use handweights instead of the resistance bands and let the game know you are doing so.

I like the warm up and cool downs. I wouldn't do them on my own otherwise.

I have toned up A LOT. I can see definition in my arms and legs again. I did the 9 week challenge and it has 3 phases, which gets a little harder in each phase. I hate the footfires and mountain climbers - but they are GREAT workouts. Just hate them :)

I am waiting for Fall to start the new challenge again. I am outside a lot now
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've got it and used it to kick start my fitness regime in January. I used it pretty much 4 times a week every week for months but now I'm feeling a lot fitter and the weather is a bit better so I'm mixing it up a bit.

It is great for bad weather days and the 2 programs really do a good job of progressing your fitness if you stick at it.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have it but I use it to create my own strength training programs to complement my walking/jogging (I'm doing Couch25K right now). It does work though! I honestly think that EA Sports Active 2 actually cheats you on calories burned...I sometimes go way harder and more intense but the calories don't seem to budge much from their predicted burn. My theory is that when it transitions between exercises it doesn't count those seconds and that can add up. But, then again, it's just me guessing. :)
  • susanelizabeth1988
    susanelizabeth1988 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I haven't got it yet - but it'n in the post ( on amazon for only £12 - can't go wrong) I'm getting it as I'm curious about the HRM - and the fact that I know MFP overestimates the calorie burn :(. Is it any good?
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    I completed the 9 week challenge on Intermediate a couple of weeks ago. It gets intense! I hate the mountain climbers too but I found I got a lot better at them as the weeks went. I had a few times where it wouldn't register my movements too. I really, really hate the running ones where you have to race people. Exhausting!! I am going to switch trainers and do it again once my schedule clears up because I am also doing Hal Higdon's Intermediate 5K training. Tough on my body to do both!! Have fun!
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    I have it but I use it to create my own strength training programs to complement my walking/jogging (I'm doing Couch25K right now). It does work though! I honestly think that EA Sports Active 2 actually cheats you on calories burned...I sometimes go way harder and more intense but the calories don't seem to budge much from their predicted burn. My theory is that when it transitions between exercises it doesn't count those seconds and that can add up. But, then again, it's just me guessing. :)

I agree with you - as I mentioned in my other post, my friend uses the Polar Ft4 with the wii active 2 along with the wii active 2 HR monitor and the polar says she is actually burning TWICE as many calories. I have noticed that during sprints, the HR actually goes down, rather than UP. I also do 3 10-minute step aerobics 4 times a week and each time I burn the same amount of calories (220) even though during the marching I run in place. I am certainly burning more calories than what it states. I think I'll purchase the Polar also.
  • clairelane1982
    Options
    It is good i am getting a much more intense work out, the sweat is pouring off me and i ache already only after 2 day.... Only thing is is that it say 20mins i am only burning about 120 cals, where as if i use the MFP database i would have burned 200+....

Seeing as some people on here already think that sports active cheats on the cals burned i am probably burning somewhere between the two. It shouldnt really matter to me as i do not eat back my ex cals anyway...
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options
    I switched trainers, but it was too weird hearing the same phrases being spoken by a different voice, so I switched it back. :smile:
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options
    It is good i am getting a much more intense work out, the sweat is pouring off me and i ache already only after 2 day.... Only thing is is that it say 20mins i am only burning about 120 cals, where as if i use the MFP database i would have burned 200+....

Seeing as some people on here already think that sports active cheats on the cals burned i am probably burning somewhere between the two. It shouldnt really matter to me as i do not eat back my ex cals anyway...
    I logged my exercise calories and ate them back and continued to lose weight, so I don't think it's that far off.

As noted by others above during some exercises I found that it didn't register correctly - particularly when running. It also only counts calories when you are actually doing an exercise. During loading it stops counting.

I ended up having to buy tougher resistance bands as the supplied one just wasn't tough enough any more. :happy:
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    I ended up having to buy tougher resistance bands as the supplied one just wasn't tough enough any more. :happy:

I find the nylon straps that you hold with the resistance bands rub my hands and it HURTS - I bought resistance bands with the hand grips. It's hard to use them when you have to hold the controller, but feels much better when you don't have to use the controller. So I switch between two different resistance bands. One with a grip and one without - depending on whether or not I have to hold the controller
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options

That's exactly what I figured to. I usually am not hungry enough to eat back my exercise calories but if I'm hungry I eat, even if it does put me over. No complaints overall. I figure counting food calories & exercise calories is not an exact science...as long as it's fairly close I'm happy. Heck, it might even be better if I am underestimating my burns.
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options

I find the nylon straps that you hold with the resistance bands rub my hands and it HURTS - I bought resistance bands with the hand grips. It's hard to use them when you have to hold the controller, but feels much better when you don't have to use the controller. So I switch between two different resistance bands. One with a grip and one without - depending on whether or not I have to hold the controller
    I have the PS3 version - no controller holding required!

My new resistance bands have handles as well and they are a bit awkward on some moves. I like having 2 different bands so I can use a higher resistance for some exercises.
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I use 5 pound weights instead of resistance bands. I am on the Wii and sometimes it makes your hold the Wii remote and the weights at the same time. Very difficult. Love the step aerobics too!
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have it on the PS3 and love it. I started off doing the programs on it but now i just make my own custom workouts so that i can concentrate on working the areas i want to tone or get a lot of cardio in if i want and find that works best for me. also means if there are any exercises you just hate and would always skip, you can just not include them and instead have exercises you know you will complete. the HRM is a little iffy, it seems to be ok most of the time, but then occaisionally it either stops reading all together or it starts to say my heart rate is decreasing, went down to 68bpm the other day, when i was working out at an intensity which normally generates a HR of 145bpm or more. you have to make sure its got good batteries in it and it eats batteries like nobodys business and i find it helps if i recaliobrate it every time i change batteries too.

good luck to you :-)
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I tried this for a couple of weeks a while ago, but had to stop as it was really giving my knees hell, even though I had specified low impact exercises. Guess it wasn't really made for someone 300+ lol. Also, the strap wouldn't stay up easily on my thigh, so sometimes the program wouldn't register that I was doing some of the workouts even though I was, so I'd have to double up on what I was doing so it would "see" them.

I wish I could have stayed using it though, might get round to trying it again once I've lost some weight first, lol
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just got it and my second day was yesterday. I'm doing the Cardio Kick Start program. Yesterday was actually an "off" day for that, so I did the pre-set trainer workout for "full body" and I think I went harder during that than when I was doing the program workout the day before! Like you said, I'm very sore, but it doesn't deter me from doing it again today! My legs are especially sore! Feel free to add me if you'd like to!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 9 week program, I'm on the 3rd phase, set on easy. When it's done I'm going to re-do it on medium setting. It definitely works all your muscles. I find it's addictive! lol
  • clairelane1982
    Options
    Im doing exactly the same, im only on phase 1 though... Its great though....... i feel it is key for my weight loss...
  • laurenmXD
    laurenmXD Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I ahve been looking at tis thinking whether to get it or not and i have to sayyy i am defo going to get it now :) Lets hope it boosts my wieght loss
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a great way to lose weight and inches. It changes your body, even after the first week. I've already lost 14 lbs. I find myself actually looking forward to doing the workout, and if I miss one due to reasons out of my control, you can make it up, and twice I've done two workouts (the missed one and current one) and actually made it through alive! lol
    Has anyone tried Exerbeat? I have that as well, and use it a lot........it's fun and boy does it work every single muscle in your body. With these two programs (Wii) I find I'm exercising 1-3 hours per night, the time just flies by.