Older Moms with Younger Kids

Options
Hi, I'm looking for moms that are close to my age (39) to be my friend on MFP. I have two young ones, my dd is 5 and ds is 2.

Being nearly 40 with a 5 yr old and 2 yr old has had its challenges. I love my babies but being obese (dirty dirty word) has caused me to not be the mother I had always thought I'd be.

I'd like to be able to find healthy meals they would enjoy and that I could eat without feeling guilty. We are also guilty of eating out way more than we should. I want them to recognize healthy foods and teach them to make better choices.

But first, I know I need to be the example. Sometimes its just easier to open up that box or to run through a drive through. I desire more energy to give them my best. I want to have the energy and stamina to play and run with them.

Thats why I decided now is the time to get in shape. If your a nearly 40 mom will you friend me?? I sure could use the advice/support/friendship....

Replies

• cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I turned 42 on Tuesday and have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I'd be glad to cheer you on!!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 with a 2 y/o and an 8 month old. Kinda close, add me if you want :) I've been working on recipes that is good for me and the kids. My husband eating healthy..that's another challenge lol
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I will be 38 in October. I have an 11yr old, 9yr old, 5yr old, 4yr old and a 1 yr old. Feel free to add me : )
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 with a 7 year old! Wouldn't change a thing (except maybe have a little more energy).
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ladies, ladies, ladies.......

You're only as old as your children make you feel!!!

LOL, that being said, I'm 55 y/o with a 15 y/o son - which translates into a 40 y/o with a newborn!

Cheers.
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 38 and have a 3 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. I really want to reach my goal weight by my 40th, and make sure my kids grow up healthy (with a mom who can keep up with them!) Sending you a friend request!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have one in every age group it seems! Im 45 yrs old and my youngest is 9. Then I have a 13, 17, and a 19 yr old.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Ill be 33 in Jan with a 1, 2 and 4 yr old..(we went from 0 to 3 in 12 months)....talk about being tired!!!! I love my life, and love it even more that I've lost weight!
  • katlady32
    katlady32 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am 32 with a 2 and 3 year old, and it is challenging @ any age (; My family will not eat "healthy" food if they know what I am up to. My husband frequently complains of "starving" after grilled chicken breasts, or similar. I stock up on frozen pizzas for him for after the kids go to bed ( and life insurance haha). I continue to prepare the same dinners as before, although we almost never have or do eat out. I am setting my example of healthy eating by practicing portion control with counting calories, as well as helping myself to seconds on veggies. Snacks should be yogurts, fruits, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, smoothies. Aim for less processed food, in the right amounts, and you are teaching your children right. We do have hamburger helper, for example, with diced tomatoes added and topped with corn or peas. Convenience foods can be great weight loss foods, in moderation. When we go to Mc donald's it is usually just for ice cream after eating something less plastic at home.

Good luck, you are doing great!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I will be 37 in October. I have a four year old and two year old. Loves of my life.
    We rarely eat out and would be happy to share recipes/ideas.
    Feel free to add me.
    Angela
  • erikanunns
    erikanunns Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey chook - I am 39 with a 6 and 2 year old and am from the other side of the world (New Zealand) happy to offer support! Have no idea how to send a friend request thing so feel free...I have quite a lot of ideas on healthy living -
    My daughter (6) and I often play the 'good food choice' game - where I say two food types and she tells me what t he good choice is and what the 'sometimes-treat food' is - this is now installed in her. Dont get me wrong she definitley likes her treat foods - but I think recognising what is what is a good start!

Look forward to connecting!
  • jengil1
    jengil1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'm 36 with 2 girls that are 5 and 2. We are currently working on a health makeover at home. Summer has been a challenge, but we are trying to make better choices.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I know you were looking for mom's but if you'd like some support from an older dad (I'm 37 with a 4 yo and 2 yo...my wife responded above!), you're welcome to add me as a friend. I'm actually the primary cook in our house and I'm happy to share healthy eating techniques, including how I got my 4 yo to freak out an older woman at the grocery store by throwing a tantrum because we were NOT buying broccoli! :smile:
  • dewpetals
    dewpetals Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know you were looking for mom's but if you'd like some support from an older dad (I'm 37 with a 4 yo and 2 yo...my wife responded above!), you're welcome to add me as a friend. I'm actually the primary cook in our house and I'm happy to share healthy eating techniques, including how I got my 4 yo to freak out an older woman at the grocery store by throwing a tantrum because we were NOT buying broccoli! :smile:

That's great! Absolutely! I should have said 'older parents" instead of Mom's.... thanks so much for yours and everyone's support!!!
  • kjpollard
    kjpollard Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm 39 w/ two 7 yr olds, a 5 yr old and a baby who will be one on Sat.
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm almost 42 with two boys, ages 7 and 4. I need recipe ideas too. :smile:
  • jslmom1
    jslmom1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Accepting buddies too. I need all the help I can get. I am 38 and have a 3yr old little boy. I work full time in health care and am looking for friends who also have a crazy stressful life :)
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 45, have two adult children (25 & 23) and two at home (17 & 18 months). I know all about hitting 40 and realizing this isn't as easy as it used to be. I'm heavier, lazier but feel that I know more. Now, if I could just put that all into practice. LOL. Sounds like you're the same way. Sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day to make healthy choices. I am trying to make eating healthy a way of life for my husband and I and be that example for our toddler. One thing that helps me is logging everything I eat, having (and giving support on MFP), and taking one day at a time. It's a lifelong goal so I want to make it permanent. Good luck and hope to hear from you again.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 41 with kids who are 8 and 4. I do all my meal planning and shopping, and a fair bit of the weekday cooking on weekends so that dinners fall into place easily during the week.
  • lisabrezina1980
    lisabrezina1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would love to see some new ideas! I am 34 with twin 2 year old daughters and a 3 year old son.
    I need all the help and support I can get lol.