New Here: Calculating weightlifting calories burned...

Options
I currently weigh ~185 lbs with 19% BF if the Tanita commercial scale can be believed (very heavy thighs/quads, so may distort readings), and I've seen different estimates for weightlifting calories burned:
  • MapMyRun gives 9.43 calories/minute, although MMR tends to always be on the high side
  • BodyBuilding.com using ACSM metrics gives 4.4 cals/min (light-moderate) to 8.8 (vigorous)
  • LiveStrong gives the same range as BodyBuilding above, but if body-weight exercises are involved, the range is 6.67 c/m (moderate BW) to 11.83 (vigorous BW)

I analyzed the times of my last gym workout and noticed that I spent:
  • 28% of the time performing exercises with BW weight
  • 72% of the time walking between stations, putting on/taking off weights, stretching, plyometrics
  • At no point did I sit down, although I paused for perhaps ~30 seconds between some sets

I then estimated that the 28% was equivalent to 11.83 calories per minute (vigorous BW), and that the 72% was equivalent to 6.6 calories per minute (moderate-vigorous, not BW), giving me an average cal/mi of 8.06.

Is this correct? Should it be higher or lower? Note that I excluded cardio intervals, which increased my HR throughout, and resting/sweating/heavy breathing periods right after hard sets...

Thoughts?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    I am impressed! Typical practice among this crowd at this time is to log the time you spent under the "strength training" of the Cardio section and regard the calories credit given with suspicion. Do a search and read a few discussions about "calories burned weightlifting" and see what I mean.
  • SouthGranWill
    SouthGranWill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 4.2 cals/min is ridiculous. MFP gives more credit for walking...
  • shanesemathis
    shanesemathis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would suggest investing in a good heart rate monitor if you can! I've used the Polar FT4 (old model but very reliable) for about 3 years now and it's been a game changer with helping me count calories burned (using my personal info) during any work out. It's $60 on Amazon... Should simplify your calorie counting by a long shot. Hope this helps :-)