Too much coffee?

Options
This girl loveeeees her some good coffee! In the morning I make a French press of coffee using 2 scoops of grounds. The French press recommends 4 scoops, but that makes it a little too strong for me. I'd say it makes about 4 cups of black coffee.

Am I drinking too much coffee even though I'm reducing the amount of grounds?

Replies

• MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I drink 5-6 cups of black coffee a day. I haven't experienced any ill-effects. In fact it has given me a boost of energy, has improved my mood and curbed my cravings. However, if I add creamer or sugar I notice a decrease in my energy level and it severely impact my mood for the rest of the day.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This is relevant to my interests,

Also on a stupidly large dose of the black good stuff daily.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'd kill somebody if I couldn't have my coffee, I'm pretty sure. LOL I drink about 4 cups a day. Coffee is GOOD for you. It's good for your liver, reduces your risk of type 2 diabetes, parkinson's, and dementia. :) It's also a good source of antioxidents.

You can read more here: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0406c.shtml

Edited to add website link
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    CoooooFFFFFeeeeeee!

I read an article just yesterday say 1-2 is good for you, and no ill effects were seen until you went over 3-4 cups a day,

but they warned a cup is 8 oz. so adjust for the size of cup that you actually use.
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Options
    Oh my god I love coffee! Ditto. I would kill a person I don't have my daily dose of caffeine.

What about if you add creamer and sugar? Does it lessen the "good effects" of coffee?
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    I would say that if you don't feel good after consuming all 4 cups, you're drinking too much. But if you don't have jitters, heart rate increase, or nausea, cheers! I drink about 4 cups a day and it definitely perks me up without making me ill! :drinker:
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I love my coffee. When I was driving (for a living) I would drink 4-6 XL timmies in a day. (which was way too much for me I know.) lately I've been have four 8-10 oz cups a day. and it hasn't affected my weight loss.

I say don't worry about your coffee intake, unless it starts to equal out to about 2-3 pots.
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am also a coffee lover!! I drink 3-4 cups some days and I haven't noticed any negative side effects either. I just have to stop drinking it around 3ish so I can sleep well at night. :smile:
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Depends- as others have said, coffee can be very good for you.
    If you're drinking your coffee light and sweet with lots of milk/creamer and sweetener, maybe not so much.

I was a 64oz+ black coffee drinker. I didn't 'need' it to feel normal/alert but I didn't get the shakes either. But since I've started being more health aware of what I'm eating I've cut it back to 32oz (2 16oz mugs in the late morning, after I get to work) and none on the weekends (mainly because I'm too lazy to grind the beans :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Oh my god I love coffee! Ditto. I would kill a person I don't have my daily dose of caffeine.

What about if you add creamer and sugar? Does it lessen the "good effects" of coffee?

It doesn't lessen the effects, just increases the calories ;)
  • notebelow
    notebelow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love coffee - my downfall is that I only like it in latte form, and the milk can rack up the calories etc. so I have had to reduce the amount that I have, and cut the milk down to skimmed as well. I did get to a point once where I would get caffeine shakes... if it gets to that stage its too much coffee!
  • rachelw16
    rachelw16 Posts: 90
    Options
    I neeeeed my coffee in the morning. About a week ago I woke up late and had to hurry to work, so I couldn't make any...yeah, I had the worst headache all day and it was all I could do not to snap at all the customers! I drink it with a little bit of cream or milk, depending on what I have in the fridge. And although I do love my Starbucks drinks, obviously those have become more rare for me :)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So how much is too much, people are talking about 3-4 cups, being from the UK how does that relate to your standard mug?

On a typical day i can be on my fifth black coffee before 10am, and it doesnt stop alll day.