19% bodyfat at 165 pounds.......

Options
rh6wd5n0j8gs.jpeg
here's my body atm..
Hello I've been working out for 19 months now. I'm 165 at 19% bodyfat I'm 5'9. I only eat clean I drink a gallon of water and sleep 9 hours of every night. I lift 6 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half. How do I lower my bodyfat without losing weight?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you need to eat at/above maintenance
  • sigelei150vapes
    sigelei150vapes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My tdee is 3000 calories I eat 3200 so I always make sure I'm in a slight surplus
  • sigelei150vapes
    Options
    I got a food scale. I'm crazy with diet haha
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That would require you eat at maintenance and continue lifting.

I actually suggest you cut to 10% and then do a long slow bulk back towards your goal weight. You'll have better nutrient partitioning to gain muscle if you cut and you won't feel like you are spinning your wheels. Also, cutting gives you the chance to really see what your overall muscle development, balance, and symmetry looks like.
  • sigelei150vapes
    Options
    It says for me to be 10% bodyfat I would have to drop down to 145 pounds. I refuse to drop down to 145
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is irrelevant to whether you will gain weight, lose weight, or maintain weight. It can help people adhere a bit better when they are dieting at lower levels of body fat, but it's not going to magically make a surplus result in only muscle gains.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting MAY be something that could work for you. Since you want to maintain around 165, you could aim for a 5lb shift over time. (Lose 5lb Fat, Add 5lb Lean, repeat...) You generally can't "lose" without the scale moving as well, but done in smaller stages that would work for you.

Look up Leangains (http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/brief-primer-on-popular-approaches-to.html) as that's a pretty popular method or check out.

Also check out Ted Naiman's Reference (http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html)

It requires some effort on your part, but would meet your goals over the long term IMO.
  • sigelei150vapes
    Options
    I'm 165 pounds though I don't wanna lose any weight. I wanna gain weight and lose bodyfat at the same time
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Also, how big are your legs? You can add a good bit of weight there if you are only concerned about a total number, especially if you don't currently work them that much.
  • DozzFit
    DozzFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recommend sprints. Add some sprints at least twice a week. (along with lowering you calorie intake just a bit..)
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You look less than 19% to me, but I guess it depends on where you wear your weight. I wouldn't worry too much about your weight man, you've got a good start of mass and are pretty short, you could be 155 and still look big. Personally I'm 6'3" and I can tell you from experience that mass goes a lot further on a shorter frame.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It says for me to be 10% bodyfat I would have to drop down to 145 pounds. I refuse to drop down to 145

That would assume you STAY at 145. You can drop less than that and then add back in the form of muscle.
  • dubble818
    dubble818 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Lose the weight. You'd look great at 12-14%. From there you can slowly bulk your way back up. You'll look better at your current weight after doing a cut and slow bulk.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    If u are at 19% BF.
    Then I say a cut is needed.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I'm 165 pounds though I don't wanna lose any weight. I wanna gain weight and lose bodyfat at the same time

1) stop focusing on the scale. No one cares how much you weigh, only how you look.

2) To achieve your goal you need elite genetics (which you don't have) or take drugs
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You need to cut if you want to drop the bf% then do a slow gain. I dropped to 154lb and now on a clean bulk of 0.5lb per week. In till I'm up to 170lb then will cut again.