Keto Diet! Q&A / General info!!

Options
2»

Replies

• WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Keto in short is.... a lifestyle in which carbs are resticted permanently...

I wouldn't say "permanently"...I would say the duration depends upon how much fat you have to lose and how well you can keep it off. I've been doing true Keto for a couple of weeks (to get "shredded") and I'm at 143lbs and just under 8% BF, I only plan on going another week. I had been doing 20/50/30 ratio of carbs/fat/protein for quite some time before switching to 5/75/20.

Some weird people literally do use keto as a lifestyle. I think it's good for cutting or fast weight loss for obesity for 2 to 3 months, but I've seen people do it 10 years straight. A lot of these life-longers were chunky, too..
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I am weaning myself toward a Keto diet. I have a few concerns. One is that I will lose a lot of muscle mass. And the other is that with all the fat and cholesterol intake this would be bad for my health (arteries and heart).
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is not NOT possible to lose 13 pounds of PURE body fat in 1 week :)t626te75tgd23.jpg
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It is not NOT possible to lose 13 pounds of PURE body fat in 1 week :)t626te75tgd23.jpg

It's possible but not healthy and could probably only be done by an extremely overweight person, with a high TDEE and a certain very illegal "supplement".
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto in short is.... a lifestyle in which carbs are resticted permanently...

I wouldn't say "permanently"...I would say the duration depends upon how much fat you have to lose and how well you can keep it off. I've been doing true Keto for a couple of weeks (to get "shredded") and I'm at 143lbs and just under 8% BF, I only plan on going another week. I had been doing 20/50/30 ratio of carbs/fat/protein for quite some time before switching to 5/75/20.

Some weird people literally do use keto as a lifestyle. I think it's good for cutting or fast weight loss for obesity for 2 to 3 months, but I've seen people do it 10 years straight. A lot of these life-longers were chunky, too..

Weird?
    Most people, like me, who do keto for years on end do it because it improves their health. Like a medical treatment. It is not weird to address health issues.

Others do it because they like the food. Meat and veggies, eggs and bacon.... Weird?

You can get fat eating too much of any food. Most fat people I know got fat eating what is often called a "balanced diet".
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    I am weaning myself toward a Keto diet. I have a few concerns. One is that I will lose a lot of muscle mass. And the other is that with all the fat and cholesterol intake this would be bad for my health (arteries and heart).

The first few days of keto are the only ones that are not muscle sparing, but as long as you are eating adequate protein, it is a non issue.

The body burns fat primarily. Any extra glucose the body needs can be made from dietary protein or the glycerol backbone of dietary or bodily fatty acids.

It is slowly becoming known that dietary fat and cholesterol are not a cause of CAD. In fact, a low carb high fat diet usually improves LDL ratios, raises HDL, and lowers triglycerides. Healthier (often) than a diet with grains and sugars.
  • BronxCav
    BronxCav Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, glad I found this. I've started the keto diet about a week ago and have no idea what I'm doing. So much confusing and conflicting info out there, and all from unknown sources. How do you know who to believe? Please send me a friend request, see what I'm doing and comment!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BronxCav wrote: »
    Hello, glad I found this. I've started the keto diet about a week ago and have no idea what I'm doing. So much confusing and conflicting info out there, and all from unknown sources. How do you know who to believe? Please send me a friend request, see what I'm doing and comment!

Really good source of information and people who do keto is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You have to ask to join, but it's not a big deal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

If your protein is high enough and you are training (progressive overload), you can prevent muscle while following keto. Generally, you would want to aim for 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight (~.68-1g/lb) and follow a resistance based program. You may also want to consider timing carbs around training
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Search for a Keto calculator, it'll calculate how much protein, carbs and fat for you. It can tell you how much % of fat you have by your height, weight and measurements and base your macros on that. If you overdo the protein it can hinder your weightloss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Search for a Keto calculator, it'll calculate how much protein, carbs and fat for you. It can tell you how much % of fat you have by your height, weight and measurements and base your macros on that. If you overdo the protein it can hinder your weightloss.

Any macronutient can hinder weight loss if you overdo it. But if calories are equates for, generally those with higher protein see great fat loss and increased muscle maintenance. And more muscle = faster metabolic rate.
  • xxprisinhaxx3232
    xxprisinhaxx3232 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sabern wrote: »
    Feel free to post questions or answer questions on here freely thank you!

I have started the Keto diet and left the Atkins diet.. Can you tell me about how much fat is needed in the diet? 5"2'' and weigh 147. I am diabetic and can not seem to loose much weight due to meds. I work out at gym 3 times a week and have gained muscle but don't seem to loose body fat. need help. thank you.

I can't tell by the picture, are you a female?
    I'm 5'2", 143lbs and my macros are 71 Protein, 20 carbs and 72 fat.
    I've been doing Keto for almost 6 months and have lost 63lbs.
    Hope this helps.

• LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The first few days of keto are the only ones that are not muscle sparing, but as long as you are eating adequate protein, it is a non issue.

The body burns fat primarily. Any extra glucose the body needs can be made from dietary protein or the glycerol backbone of dietary or bodily fatty acids.

It is slowly becoming known that dietary fat and cholesterol are not a cause of CAD. In fact, a low carb high fat diet usually improves LDL ratios, raises HDL, and lowers triglycerides. Healthier (often) than a diet with grains and sugars.

Cool, thanks for this information. I am gonna give it a try for a few months and then check my stats and see what I get. I think this diet will be a temporary thing for me. I am using it to get over a plateau. But, also to try something new and see if I like it. I'd like to drop about 35 lbs.