Road trip

Options
Today at gas stations I found bananas, hard boiled eggs and a cup of grapes. I brought water and Mio drops. I found a diner and they let me have the Senior Special (2eggs, 2 bacons and a pancake - I ate half)
What else do you do on road trips to stay in the zone?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My gas station go-tos: black coffee, water, Clif bars, pickles, and (sometimes) Nutter Butters. If I have someone to share it with, I'll also get Chex Mix. If I am by myself, I skip it because I know I will want to eat the entire bag.

For meals, I usually hit up Subway because I can find them reliably along the interstate in my area. But if I can find a Taco Bell, I prefer that.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    protein bars, beef jerky, occasionally a nut/trail mix. but usually protein bars and beef jerky. Wendy's chicken nuggets and chili for more of a meal.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have a 12hr road trip coming up in August and I plan to stock myself with protein bars, beef jerky and Wendy's and Subway for my meals
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Buc-ee's beef jerky, aw yeah.

Not a big snacker though, so can't help too much there. Though my parents always pack a cooler with protein shakes and veggies, and still bring protein bars and nuts. But I mean, they're hardcore LOL.

Haven't been on a long road-trip in a while. But I do remember a lot of Subways...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    S1mburg3r wrote: »
    Today at gas stations I found bananas, hard boiled eggs and a cup of grapes. I brought water and Mio drops. I found a diner and they let me have the Senior Special (2eggs, 2 bacons and a pancake - I ate half)
    What else do you do on road trips to stay in the zone?

That soubds like a tiny amount of food for a whole day...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Coffee for me, a cooler with Coca-Cola and Dr Pepper for my crew, and a package of Nutter Butters for the front and one for the back.
  • S1mburg3r
    S1mburg3r Posts: 11 Member
    Options

That soubds like a tiny amount of food for a whole day...

I smacked on Skinny pop popcorn and am having a rib & salad for dinner
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Most of my road trips have been to the USA and most non perishable items are not allowed to cross the border. So we'll bring a cooler full of ice packs and frozen juice boxes and head to a grocery store in the USA. From there we'll buy cheese sticks, bagged salad, bananas, yogourt and milk. For the non perishable things we bring granola bars, protein bars, nuts and coconut sticks (my toddler loves them).
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I try to get stuff like sunflower seeds / nuts ( takes a long time to chew or eat ) so I don't overeat in the car out of boredom . Usually a diet coke or diet Dr pepper as a treat , string cheese , some gas stations have little salads or half sandwiches that are pretty good
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    We routinely take 6 hour roadtrips to the inlaws. I pack our snacks in divided containers. Carrots/peppers, berries, beef jerky, nuts, string cheese, triscuits, protein bars/granola bars, popcorn. There aren't a lot of restaurant options on our trip so it's either Taco John's or McD's if we stop for a meal.
  • treacych
    treacych Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wawa is good for having a lot of fresh food options and custom sandwiches.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I usually bring food if the road trip is more than 4 hours. I'll bring nuts, granola or nut bars, fruit, pb&j, carrots, water, and/or coffee. We will stop for sandwiches if the trip overlaps a meal. I've found that most gas stations sell basic turkey or ham sandwiches.

My husband and I discovered on one road trip that Starbucks has a pretty nice little snack tray ("protein boxes") with apple slices, grapes, a multigrain pita thing, a bit of cheese, two boiled eggs, and some peanut butter. It was a really good snack.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    kms234 wrote: »
    We routinely take 6 hour roadtrips to the inlaws. I pack our snacks in divided containers. Carrots/peppers, berries, beef jerky, nuts, string cheese, triscuits, protein bars/granola bars, popcorn. There aren't a lot of restaurant options on our trip so it's either Taco John's or McD's if we stop for a meal.

I take similar trips every couple of months and pack similar road food. I usually also get a small or medium McDonald's fry as a treat, because I dislike long car rides and those fries are delicious.