Reformer Pilates - Who's tried it?

Options
I am doing my first Reformer Pilates workout on Saturday. I'm in Brisbane, Australia and Reformer Pilates is getting popular. Has anyone done a class before? If so, what do you think?

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I did it for years - loved it, but recently moved house (to Oxfordshire rather than London) and can't find a studio near where I live now! :(

I tried a number of different studios and really preferred the more dynamic style to traditional.
    I found that the more traditional classes tend to use the wooden reformers, and many of the more modern style use metal ones, although that's probably a sweeping generalization!

I found it really did strengthen my core and improve my balance a lot, and I also got maybe an inch taller because I was standing much better and my spine was less compressed. I only went once a week though, so I never got much more flexible from it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I really like reformer work. I actually have a home reformer but don't have the space to have it, boo! It's real superiority to mat work is the much larger demand on the core for stabilisation. Then there is the larger variety of movement with it being being more dynamic. It leads to greater functional strength than mat work can ever achieve.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have not done a class, but as part of my rehab for hamstring tendinitis, my PT had me do many exercises on the reformer machine. Three things I learned: It is important to get the cables adjusted appropriately for you, the leg circles are a *kitten*, I loved the leg circles!
  • megansims1
    megansims1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I had done reformer through my physio (I have a shoulder/neck problem from a car accident). However this will be my first "public" class. I hate boot camps and am hoping that reformer will change the look of my body.

I am no longer taking notice of the scales! Overall health (fat & muscle) is my concern from here on out!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love it. I take reformer classes 1-3 times per week.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Reformer pilates is great and I prefer it to mat work pilates.

I wouldn't rely on it to dramatically change the look of your body but it will strengthen your core and increase your range of motion which are great things. Reformer classes are usually fairly small and intimate and relaxed so as far from the boot camp experience as you get.

• danaoira
    danaoira Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love it. I have a reformer at home and take classes once a week. I do the Advanced classical reformer every day.

Kirk Smith is my inspiration. I want to age gracefully like him. (He is over 55 years old!) This is him doing the intermediate classical order.

https://youtu.be/QS3xkh3QHe4