What type of veggie is this? I'm so serious...

Options
STLBADGIRL
STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
There is someone in my office that brings fresh veggies into the office from their garden. This veggie spoke to me, but I don't know what the hell it is or what to make with it. Is it an over grown squash.

I wanted to reach out to the MFP fam and see if you all could tell me what this is, and suggest any ideas for cooking this baby.

Please help!5tq4uwrr0frc.jpg

Replies

• ourenchantedcottage
    ourenchantedcottage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Squash. Many things that you can do with it. It gets soft very quickly while cooking. Saute up nicely with Garlic and olive oil. Add to pasta dishes, as well as many other. You can also use it as you would a zucchini. Buon Appetito.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Summer squash
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Slice it, bread it, and deep fry that sucker :D
  • Shazlanka
    Shazlanka Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Your summer squash would also be delish to cut up in chunks, add any other sort of vegetables (carrots, onion, cauliflower, peppers, etc.), mix with some olive oil and seasonings and roast ... perfect side dish for your lunch or dinner.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Ok, I thought it was a squash (but its really big) and fat at the bottom.. I swear you guys rock!!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Ok, I thought it was a squash (but its really big) and fat at the bottom.. I swear you guys rock!!!!

Yes - squash from the garden are usually much bigger and more shapely than those sold in the store.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Summer squash is like a yellow zucchini/courgette. I prefer it for the vibrant color :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    yellow squash lol. I can only eat it one way and that's fried in flour and cornmeal. it's great!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Toss chunks of it in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it until they're brown... or if you want to get really decadent, toss 'em in a little melted duck fat instead. Soooooo good!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I put squash and zucchini in my green smoothies
  • FootballFan69
    FootballFan69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's a summer squash. It's in the zucchini family, and you can cook/grill it and cut it as you would a zucchini. There are two varieties of yellow summer squash, crooked neck (which has a curve to it) and straight neck (this one). Usually zucchini and it's yellow cousin are picked slightly earlier than this. They tend to be slightly tenderer at a smaller size. There is nothing wrong with this size though, most people create "boats" out of them instead of slicing and grilling. This is also a good size if you are going to create sandwich wrap with zucchini as the wrap instead of a tortilla. Zucchini and yellow summer squash grow depending on how much water is available to them. If they've had a soaking from a hose or a rain storm they can grow several inches overnight. This one could have been the size you see in a grocery store just 24 hours before it was picked. We grow these every year in my garden, and if you forget to check everyday they can get quite a bit bigger!
    Enjoy!
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I spiralize it and toss some store bought or homemade pesto, some cherry tomatoes, or sun dried tomatoes, s squeeze of lemon and some hot pepper flakes. Great light summer dinner.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Frittata. With queso fresco.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I cube raw zucchini (courgette) and summer squash and sprinkle with Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning and have as a side with my eggs and tomatoes every morning. I like the crunchiness of the raw smaller squash. I also will saute them slightly when they are that large if they are not as tender as the smaller ones.
  • mikeandlindasept15
    mikeandlindasept15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We had some yesterday and today, steamed and roasted in the oven. Yum!

Glad you didn't ask about zucchini. I would say "bake zucchini bread"!