Body gravity

Options
I lost 20 lbs now. 5 lbs previously I felt lighter and feel like I can do anything. However, at 20 lbs my legs are starting to feel heavier during exercise since I lost weight in my calves and thighs. I think it's from my body's new shape. Had anybody else experienced this?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I suspect this is more of an effect of being in calorific deficit for some time. Depending on how close to ideal weight you are, dieting can be hard on your general energy levels and some people find that exercise is harder than they would expect.

If you're getting to low %BF and/or you've been dieting for a long time (greater than 12 weeks) consider the above.
    If not it may be a change in macros or food quality, decreased sleep, increased stress or the early signs of a cold coming on.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Also, it may be muscular. Make sure you're stretching or foam rolling enough, and maybe go for a sports massage. I always find that makes my legs feel way lighter and springier again!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread reminds me of a line I used once. A cute co-worker asked me to define gravity for a course she was doing homework for. I looked directly into her eyes and said, "The attraction between two bodies." 40 yrs later, she's still my wife so I guess it was a winner. :) More to the OP's question, muscle fatigue from exercise or even lack of sleep can make things feel "heavy" even when they're not.

Adorable
  • AshlynnHH
    AshlynnHH Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To add my feet also hurt when not on carpet, is this normal too?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your exercise is, but if it is running or walking you may need new and better footwear that has been fitted for your foot, and your gait analyzed.

Also, if you have recently upped the intensity you may have gone at it too hard and fast, back down a bit until you are comfortable again. Then build back up slowly.

Agree with stealthhealth above.
    Cheees, h.

@fullylugged, I bet you have waited years to post that anecdote. Congrats on a happy marriage.
  • AshlynnHH
    AshlynnHH Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch I dance as my main exercise, moderately at fifteen minutes a day. You may be right in getting new shoes. I lost weight at my feet too. My high tops are a bit heavy and without socks the bottoms are very flat.
    @StealthHealth I'm only a quarter near my goal of 111 lbs if that helps. I never lost over four lbs before so as you may imagine I don't know much about transitioning.