Reverse Transformation

Options
I have gained 33lbs since October due to depression and then depression medications.
My boyfriend is very frustrated with it, on top of me beating myself up every day. He is not supportive at all. And I can understand where he's coming from but I feel absolutely no emotional support.
I made a fitness focused ig to just try and keep accountable.

All that I want is consistency and it feels like every few days is ruined with a binge.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

My highest was 250 and I'm sitting at 193. I was so happy at 160 when I met him and now I feel like I've fallen apart.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Nothing is "ruined." This is a journey to be healthier. This is a lifelong endeavor. It doesn't stop when you reach a goal weight. Accept that we all screw up (from time to time) and then move forward. Always move forward.

Are you eliminating favorite foods? Are you trying to do too much all at once (too low calories)? Find a middle ground where you can stay more consistent.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've tried everything. Not eliminatingbut staying within calorie, low carb, shakes. Nothing that worked in the past is keeping me from emotional eating. I thought it would improve after mental health medication but they cause terrible cravings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've tried everything. Not eliminating but staying within calorie, low carb, shakes. Nothing that worked in the past is keeping me from emotional eating. I thought it would improve after mental health medication but they cause terrible cravings.

Low carb is a type of elimination. I don't low carb because that's not how I will maintain.

Instead I take the macros that MFP gave me and eat (mostly) within those numbers. I treat protein as a minimum.

My diet is small tweaks here, and there. I've switched my breakfast from cereal and milk (low protein) to a Greek yogurt "parfait" using high fiber cereal. I try to get protein at each meal and snack, but I don't eliminate my favorite things.

Dinner; I used to think nothing of having a hamburger & potato salad. That's 2 servings of starchy carbs. Now, I pick the bun OR potato salad.....I don't eliminate both. That's what low carb does.....eliminates.

I've done shakes in the past. But, I have always been more satisfied with food. The act of chewing (or something)....shakes always leave me wanting.

My calories are not so low that I don't have room for a treat. I do better with single serving sizes, rather than full sized bags. 100 calorie Oreo cookie crisps.....late in the day. 100-150 calorie ice cream treat......late in the day. This gives me something to look forward to.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling with this. Don't beat yourself up. That is negative, wasted energy that you can use elsewhere.

Since you are on meds, is it possible to get a referral to a therapist to help with the emotional eating? There are ways to conquer it and learn useful tools along the way. No one is perfect and no day is perfect so just be patient with yourself, Keep track of what works for you and what doesn't. It's a lot of trial and error.

Don't layer your boyfriend's annoyance with you on top of everything else. That's his issue; not yours. You focus on YOUR health and then decide if he's someone you need in your life long term.
  • yfbrklyn
    yfbrklyn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You just got to keep on pushing!
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I should see a counselor because the medication is just from my PCP.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    From someone who deals with depression daily , my doctor and I found a medication that does not cause weight gain .actually the opposite , gives me more energy and decreases my appetite a bit . With the extra energy I have I try to exercise even when I don't want to . That built up anxiety and depression need to be let out , talking to a therapist helps a lot , so does exercise it really helps you release all that stress . Having a partner who does not understand it tough . My husband doesn't understand but is still incredibly supportive and talks me through my worst days . Best thing is to communicate how you feel , it's hard for a person who never is depressed or anxious to understand this so try to explain in words as best as you can . If he doesn't try to be supportive maybe both go to therapy together . If that doesn't work , not sure if he's the right person to be with if you're feeling worse and feeling unsupported.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tell yourself that you can do this. Even when you think you can't and "know" you can't, you can.

As a depression sufferer myself, it can be a struggle to tell yourself you are worth it, even when the universe feels like it's saying otherwise. Start small. You seem to attach to methods and quit pretty quickly. You have to stick to something for several months to truly reap the benefits.

Start by just logging your intake. Don't cut anything. Just see where you stand. At this time, I also recommend a food scale because it will be a beneficial habit to get into when the weight gets harder to lose closer to goal. Once you have a week or two logged, see where you can cut small things here and there. An extra soda? A piece of candy? Etc. slowly bring yourself to a deficit so it doesn't become overwhelming.

Then possibly start adding light exercise. Maybe boyfriend and you could go for a walk or hike? Try to include him in physical activities if you're interested in continuing a possibly tense relationship. It could help communication and time spent together. Otherwise, just do it for you if it is not an option.

Essentially, you are looking for a sustainable way of life. Not just a diet. What you do has to be able to translate to the long term. This is why so many fad diets like low-carb fail when there's no medical necessity to it.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Exercise! I have anxiety myself and I find regular exercise helps a ton. My husband also struggles with anxiety and other issues and I force him to exercise as well when he is struggling and it improves his mood a lot. He always thanks me afterwards.

Go for a walk somewhere that makes you happy. Enjoy nature, look at some cute furry critters and let go of things. Find some dogs to pet (if you aren't scared of them). The willpower/drive/whatever you want to call it comes a lot easier when you feel better. So focus on making yourself feel happier, and it will be easier to make healthier decisions.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I loved the suggestion to pet dogs. Solid advice <3
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I bought myself a fancy new scale and edited my Fitbit settings to restart.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Talk therapy can be very helpful in conjunction with the meds. It's good to discuss your feelings about weight loss, binging, and how to deal with your boyfriend's nonsupporting comments to you.

Congrats on joining MFP, getting a new scale and using your Fitbit. Follow the plan, take some walks outside (which decrease stress), and you'll have success.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Talk therapy can be very helpful in conjunction with the meds. It's good to discuss your feelings about weight loss, binging, and how to deal with your boyfriend's nonsupporting comments to you.

Congrats on joining MFP, getting a new scale and using your Fitbit. Follow the plan, take some walks outside (which decrease stress), and you'll have success.
    Thank you very much. Day two is feeling better than day one (:
  • sarahmariedaigle
    sarahmariedaigle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Exercise! And try to include you're boyfriend in it. I have gained about 40lbs in the past two years. I am extremely unhappy with the way I look and feel. I decided I am the only one who can really change it. Thankfully my boyfriend and our sons (1 two legged and 1 four legged) are on board to help me. I have changed the way I eat and no longer turn to food when I'm upset. Alcohol too. I still drink occasionally but not so much and not so much beer. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss beer but my body is more important. I jog with my dog once a day for a mile and a half. Sometimes my boyfriend and my son join and I will jog the first half and then walk after I turn around and catch up with them. I do a few exercises at home too. Sit-ups, push-ups, plank...etc. but even with working out the biggest thing for me was changing what I eat and tracking it. I use essential oils to help with anxiety/depression but have also found exercising and staying active helps immensely! Good luck to you!