Daniel Fast

Options
So I am doing the Daniel Fast. It is basically a Vegan Diet for 21 days. Based off of the biblical story of daniel. The fast is no meat or dairy. Has anyone done this in the past? How were you successful. Any meal plans that has worked for you. I attempted to do this in the past but never making it 21 days. I am determined to complete it this time as it is more than diet for me it is spriritual growth :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :huh:

this'll end well...
  • lolacolores
    lolacolores Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did it for 3 months. All mu sugar and thyroids and metabolic issues measure, were the best in 30 years
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No fast has ever worked for me. What works for me is just counting my calories and eating less than I burn.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As advertised it has little to nothing to do with how Daniel and the other eunuch princes fasted.
  • Puco1
    Puco1 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I too am looking to take a faith-based approach to improving my health and well-being, both physical and spiritual. Strictly speaking, the Daniel fast isn't necessary from a Christian standpoint, as it pertains to the old dietary laws that were superseded by Jesus when He formed the new Covent with God.

That said, it's not a dietary fast as the term is commonly used. Rather, it's a spiritual fast that brings you closer to God by abstaining from secular temptations. The diet itself is basically is just a clean vegan diet that also abstains from sweeteners, alcohol, and artificial, highly processed foods. You do eat lighter, but never go without food altogether.

I will say a prayer for you as you take this spiritual journey. God bless.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Puco1 wrote: »
    I too am looking to take a spiritual, faith-based approach to improving my health. Strictly speaking, the Daniel fast isn't necessary from a Christian standpoint, as it pertains to the old dietary laws that were superseded by Jesus when He formed the new Covent with God.

That said, it's not a dietary fast as the term is commonly used. Rather, it's a spiritual fast that brings you closer to God by abstaining from secular temptations. The diet itself is basically is just a clean vegan diet that also abstains from sweeteners, alcohol, and artificial, highly processed foods. You do eat lighter, but never go without food altogether.

I will say a prayer for you as you take this spiritual journey. God bless.

IT ALSO allows things Daniel didn't eat and prohibits things that he did.
  • Puco1
    Puco1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    True, but the spiritual discipline and turning yourself over to the Lord is really the most important part. I don't know what this board's rules are regarding religious discussion, so I'll leave it at that.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Puco1 wrote: »
    True, but the spiritual discipline and turning yourself over to the Lord is really the most important part. I don't know what this board's rules are regarding religious discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

How beneficial can it be spiritually if the name and premise are a LIE?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What happens on Day 22?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you are taking in nourishment you are NOT fasting.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Daniel wasn't fasting for dietary reasons.

At the end of the fast, do you also get thrown in a lions den?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Actually, he was. The food in the king's court wasn't kosher. If it's a choice between eating or starving to death AND he wasn't being singled out because he was Jewish (he wasn't; all the youths with potential were getting the same food. It wasn't a case of 'You must turn your back on your heritage and eat this'), then it's permitted to eat non-kosher.

What Daniel suggested was a 10-day test. "Give us raw vegetables, seeds and water for 10 days. At the end of that time, if we seem weak and malnourished, we'll eat what everyone else is eating." At the end of 10 days, Daniel and his friends were in better shape than the youths eating the meat. So they kept up their diet.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ok, what I meant is he didn't set out to lose weight, etc. But to not eat the king's meat (perhaps it was against dietary law, perhaps it was meat sacrificed to foreign gods).

Their improved features could be from the food directly, or more probable, obedience to God. Another example of this is surviving the Lions den. It wasn't food choice or anything Daniel did, other than his faith and obedience. God saved him.

the 10 day test was probably to give them time to save their lives.

And that's not the only section in scripture about food, so why do people latch onto that one?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Because serving each of your three guests a whole tongue with mustard wouldn't work as well? I dunno. I'm Orthodox Jewish. I'm more interested in the kosher laws.