Options
2»

Replies

• Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    pmyn29 wrote: »
    Here's the painstaking way I've done it: log each item separately. For instance, I record 1/4 cup chickpeas, one carrot, 1 oz. cauliflower, 1/2 of a cucumber, 1 T sunflower seeds, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure I'm still inaccurate but I am trying to get in the habit of recording as well as I can. I think I'm developing an eye for what an ounce of food looks like because I've been using a scale at home for awhile now. Don't give up the salad bar!!

I think I'm stating the obvious here, but an ounce is a unit of weight, not volume, so it's not really something you can eyeball across different types of foods.

That's just wrong. In the U.S. it can be either. There are 8 oz in a cup. That's volume. There are 16 oz in a pound. That's weight. This was originally based on the volume and weight of water.

I'll just leave this here for you...

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/mathematics-statistics/difference-between-fluid-ounces-and-ounces/
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Here's the painstaking way I've done it: log each item separately. For instance, I record 1/4 cup chickpeas, one carrot, 1 oz. cauliflower, 1/2 of a cucumber, 1 T sunflower seeds, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure I'm still inaccurate but I am trying to get in the habit of recording as well as I can. I think I'm developing an eye for what an ounce of food looks like because I've been using a scale at home for awhile now. Don't give up the salad bar!!

I think I'm stating the obvious here, but an ounce is a unit of weight, not volume, so it's not really something you can eyeball across different types of foods.

That's just wrong. In the U.S. it can be either. There are 8 oz in a cup. That's volume. There are 16 oz in a pound. That's weight. This was originally based on the volume and weight of water.

Got a little experiment for you. Grab your scales, a cup and some flour. Get a cup of flour and pour it into a bowl and weigh it. Now grab another cup of flour and weigh it. Donit a number of times. You will rarely get the same weight. Now grab some frozen veges or something and do the same thing. Does a cup of frozen veges weigh the same as a cup of flour and how much difference are you getting from one cup to the next? With solids the volume can include a lot of air and you rarely put in the same amount each time.

You should weigh all solids and only use volume for liquids regardless of whether you live in the US or elsewhere.

1 oz of food by weight in the US is different from 1 oz of food by volume though. Like, ounces by weight can be converted to grams (1 oz = 28g although it's sometimes rounded to 30g). You can weigh in ounces. It's not as precise on most scales but it's still a valid unit of measure. Also, 1 oz by volume is not a valid measurement for solid foods unless you haven't got anything else to measure with in which case it will at least come closer than eyeballing.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Everyone is missing the point of my post. Please read the post to which I was responding and quoted. That was my only point.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - if this is a one time thing, just quick add a swag guess and what happens happens. Moving forward if the salad bar is the best or only option, you need to learn what serving sizes look like for these foods. Healthy or whatever, quinoa and beams can add up fast.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Everyone is missing the point of my post. Please read the post to which I was responding and quoted. That was my only point.

I feel you. I keep reading those responses & going, "No, no...that's not what she means..." Stay strong, lol :D
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »

I feel you. I keep reading those responses & going, "No, no...that's not what she means..." Stay strong, lol :D

Thanks!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Got a little experiment for you. Grab your scales, a cup and some flour. Get a cup of flour and pour it into a bowl and weigh it. Now grab another cup of flour and weigh it. Donit a number of times. You will rarely get the same weight. Now grab some frozen veges or something and do the same thing. Does a cup of frozen veges weigh the same as a cup of flour and how much difference are you getting from one cup to the next? With solids the volume can include a lot of air and you rarely put in the same amount each time.

You should weigh all solids and only use volume for liquids regardless of whether you live in the US or elsewhere.

bwahaha.. Picturing someone in line at the salad bar with their portable scale.
  • treacych
    treacych Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Am I the only person wondering: "Your work has a salad bar?"

Seriously! I'm jealous too

OP, when I had the luxury of a salad bar not far from my office, I'd cook chicken (or whatever lean protein you like) at the beginning of the week and just bring a portion of that to add to my salad everyday. Oh and I always stuck to vinegar and olive oil for dressing, but that's probably a no-brainer.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    500 is probably a safe bet for half, but you'd probably be pushing 600 calories depending on the total WEIGHT of the salad. You got a lot of high cal foods, but with decent nutrients. Quinoa is pretty high cal being appox 120 cals per 30 grams.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    also if the veges were roasted with oil that can drive the calories way up.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!
    I worked from home on Friday so took my 1/2 a salad back home & weighed it!

It came out at 483 for the 1/2 bowl (& was a very small bowl at 7 inches wide & 2 inches high) that was left. I know quinoa is quite dense so only had 1 spoon of it & only 1tablesoon of couscous (until I seen the quinoa) lol. Same with the chickpeas

Most of it was veg roasted with very little oil. But I learned my lesson on the sunflower seeds will be giving them a pass next time!

All in all I think I'll stick to leach greens & use my phone to track the eyeball spoon amounts. Now I know what they weigh.

But it's a tricky business -

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm going to stick with the salad bar but this time more leafy greens and raw veggies!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Am I the only person wondering: "Your work has a salad bar?"

Ha, mine does. A great perk here is that they have free lunch for us everyday (and dinner when we work late)...big salad bar, in-house catering with lots of choices. It's pretty nice...although I realize most people don't have that.
    Honestly, it's a reason new employees here tend to gain weight...free and unlimited food.

My workplace does, too. We have a full cafeteria. Our lunches aren't free, though..they charge the salad bar by weight. I'm kinda glad the food isn't free, or I'd be gaining weight too!