Please help me

Options
Hello everyone, I'm new here but not new to dieting lol. I've tried losing weight for the last 17 years and once I lose 20-30 pounds I tend to fall off the diets. This time feels different, I'm not saying I'm on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle. I ask myself, why do you want to eat right now? You just ate 20 minutes ago, you're not even hungry. I've pretty much cut out junk food and turning to ants on a log for a sweet kick and so far so good :) now I'm only going on day 5 doing this, down 7 pounds and over the moon. I was 300 pounds when I started. Anyways my problem is I'm constipated, I'm use to going 2-3 times a day. I know since I'm eating way less that of course I will not be going as much but I feel like I have to go all the time and fight and fight for 20 minutes just to do a pea sized rock. It's been going on for 2 days and I even had a muscle spasm in my abs right under my breast. (first time ever) I'm. Eating fiber and healthy which I'm not use to but fiber is suppose to help you go to the bathroom. Does anyone know of something that I can add to my diet to help me go? Something that's low calorie and stuff so I can stay in my limits on here. Please any advice I greatly appreciate. I've never had this problem in my life.

Replies

• daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh and sorry so long :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is high calorie, but it does help. Prunes are well-known for their help in this area, but other fruits will work too.

Also check this: http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/general-health-articles/best-natural-laxatives/
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Fiber is supposed to put you on that pot.
    Eat lots of lettuce, and greens. If you have the calories to spare, eat more fruit, and drink more water.

Since you found that you have a little issue in this department, you might want to start logging your water, just to get your 8 glasses a day in.
  • High_Five_
    High_Five_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! Are you drinking enough water and eating enough fat? I find those things both help me. In the past, kombucha has also been super helpful :)
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply.
    Yes I have increased my water intake and I have been under but not by much on my fats, except today, I was over on my days today. I honestly think I've been eating 5000-10,000 calories a day so coming down from that to 1500 a day, I am hoping to find something that's low sugar and not many calories to help.
  • High_Five_
    High_Five_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow I imagine your body is going through such a change! No wonder you've shocked it a bit :) Congratulations and best of luck to you. I've also struggled with stopping the weight loss before I'm "done" and planning to do things differently this time.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great attitude, OP. Many suggest increasing fiber slowly. Ditto to the water & fat suggestion above. Eating more fiber really requires drinking more water. Rule of thumb is eating a MINIMUM of 0.35g fat per pound body weight. It's ok to be low on fat a day here or there, but it helps with so many things to get enough (satiety, hormone production, tastes yummy).

I'll add magnesium if you track that or know you're low. Chelated is more readily absorbed. It kind of competes with calcium absorption. Have you been taking more calcium lately? Or TUMS or something with lots of calcium? The only time I had the problem you described is when I started taking calcium supplements. Never again! Good luck to you!
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have you increased dairy much?
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Try taking a fiber supplement you mix with water , they have sugar free ones ..and water water water ;) I think I'm drinking enough , and realize after putting it in and seeing the numbers I'm still low on water . I have to remind myself to drink constantly to stay hydrated . Also black coffee helps me
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Miralax. No calories.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink plenty and try to get a lot of your fibre from fruit and veg, as that is the best for keeping regular. Remember you won't pass as much because you are eating less than you used to, and give it time. Your body may just need to adjust to your new eating patterns.
  • laurenalcia13
    laurenalcia13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can try adding Colace twice daily as needed for constipation if you're already drinking enough water, eating fiber and enough good fats.. You could try Senna as well. Both are over-the-counter.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Vegetables and some grains. I would say oatmeal, but in all honesty, I'm not sure oatmeal is the best for fiber. Veggies and fruits are though.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Taking a magnesium citrate supplement is a safe and easy way to keep yourself regular. I take around 200mg a day. If I take 2 pills - or 400mg - I find that it's a bit too much and I get loose poops. 200mg is the sweet spot for me.

And of course, stay well hydrated.

Good luck with your weight loss! Sounds like you're off to a great start.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and some grains. I would say oatmeal, but in all honesty, I'm not sure oatmeal is the best for fiber. Veggies and fruits are though.

Oatmeal is great for fiber (overall) it has BOTH kinds of fiber - soluble & insoluble
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber

OP - you've gotten lots of advice but fiber, fluids, fat and activity. I take a road trip in the car and have issues the next day. Get some extra steps in if you can. If those don't work, try magnesium citrate.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have mentioned it already, but suddenly and dramatically increasing your fiber intake can constipate you. Back off of it for a day or two, then slowly start increasing it again. This same thing happened to me more than once, and tracking my intake on MFP was very helpful.