Friday Pondering...

Options
ket_the_jet
ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
What is the last book, CD, or DVD you've borrowed from a friend? And why haven't you returned it?
-wtk

Replies

• lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Borrowed "The Last Supper" from my mom... Haven't returned it because she lives in a different city :-/
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I borrowed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" about 5 years ago and haven't returned it - it's my go-to for an easy laugh book
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I borrowed Writer's Notebook by Ralph Fletcher. I haven't returned it because she retired and I doubt she'll be helping middle school students journal in her spare time. :embarassed:
  • RichNice
    RichNice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Blazing Saddles...but the person I borrowed it from has my Clerks the Animated Series DVDs, so it's pretty much a wash....
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It isn't the last book, but it's the longest book I've had I haven't returned: Generation X by Douglas Coupland. I haven't returned it because I haven't actually read it yet. I also don't see this person very often.
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    I loaned my friend Concert for Bangladesh on DVD and he loaned me Concert for George. Neither of us returned the DVD and we both bought new copies for ourselves, so I guess that's how that goes.

I also bought Concert for George on BluRay and then gave his copy to a friend as a gift.
    -wtk
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    Thought I would maybe revive this.
    -wtk
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

I borrowed it from my sister and haven't returned it partly because she moved out of state, mostly because I am mad at her for recommending it!

It is an autobiography about a drug addict. I lived with an alcoholic and drug addict for almost 20 years and this book really had a huge impact on me.

The reason I am mad at her, is that there is much debate that the book is actually fiction. The author was even called out on Oprah. She knew this before she lent me the book! So I felt betrayed by her and the author!

Nah, not really, but it was extremely disappointing.

Tweaked by Nick Sheff is an amazing book by an addict, I would highly recommend it!
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    The reason I am mad at her, is that there is much debate that the book is actually fiction. The author was even called out on Oprah. She knew this before she lent me the book! So I felt betrayed by her and the author!

Before you knew that it was a fictionalized account of his life, did the book help you at all?

If so, who cares if it is fiction?

I've gotten in a huge debate over this book and what constitutes fiction and non-fiction, but if this book was in the "Self-Help" section then who cares if it's fiction or not? The story is true for *someone.*
    -wtk
  • _beachgirl_
    Options

Before you knew that it was a fictionalized account of his life, did the book help you at all?

If so, who cares if it is fiction?

I've gotten in a huge debate over this book and what constitutes fiction and non-fiction, but if this book was in the "Self-Help" section then who cares if it's fiction or not? The story is true for *someone.*
    -wtk

I guess because I thought that it gave me a glimpse of an addict's mind, thought process, etc. Maybe for someone else it wouldn't have mattered if it was fiction or non-fiction, but for me what I got from reading it was what I thought was insight. If he wasn't really a recovering addict than I gained nothing by reading it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I borrowed a Jars of Clay cd from my daughter so I could downlowad it on my IPod and just haven't gotten around to giving it back yet. I never think about it until I actually see it lying on my computer desk. :ohwell:
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    I guess because I thought that it gave me a glimpse of an addict's mind, thought process, etc. Maybe for someone else it wouldn't have mattered if it was fiction or non-fiction, but for me what I got from reading it was what I thought was insight. If he wasn't really a recovering addict than I gained nothing by reading it.

He was a recovering addict; however, he did not spend several years in prison and snort blow of an erect shaft or steal his kid's college fund to buy rocks or whatever else is in that book. He embellished details, but in the end, that book ended up helping a lot of people.

I don't even comprehend why people wish the things in the book *did* happen; You would wish that sort of thing upon someone else? Especially if it is something you are suffering through? Schadenfreude, at best.

Oprah tore the guy apart, but in reality, she should've been giving the lackey intern trouble for not doing background checks, etc. I believe she was just upset because she presented something as true that might not have been [for Frey] and "nobody messes with Oprah."

If you have known addicts, trust that the book was entirely nonfictional for someone. The fact that Frey claimed the stories as his own doesn't change the fact that someone, somewhere has experienced those things.
    -wtk
  • _beachgirl_
    Options

He was a recovering addict; however, he did not spend several years in prison and snort blow of an erect shaft or steal his kid's college fund to buy rocks or whatever else is in that book. He embellished details, but in the end, that book ended up helping a lot of people.

I don't even comprehend why people wish the things in the book *did* happen; You would wish that sort of thing upon someone else? Especially if it is something you are suffering through? Schadenfreude, at best.

Oprah tore the guy apart, but in reality, she should've been giving the lackey intern trouble for not doing background checks, etc. I believe she was just upset because she presented something as true that might not have been [for Frey] and "nobody messes with Oprah."

If you have known addicts, trust that the book was entirely nonfictional for someone. The fact that Frey claimed the stories as his own doesn't change the fact that someone, somewhere has experienced those things.
    -wtk

For me it wasn't those outlandish stories that I was disappointed weren't true, I may have misunderstood and thought everything was a fabricationI and he didn't actually draw anything from personal experience. If he actually was an addict that would make me happy. Just kidding, if he was actually an addict then I really do feel like I gained some insight from the book. I have known addicts, which is why the book was significant to me.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I borrowed "The Shack" from a co-worker about 3 years ago. I got 2/3 through it and lost interest after the story changed dramatically. I haven't returned it because I guess I still plan to finish it, but just never feel like it because I didn't care for the shift in the plot - and I don't work there anymore.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    "Dear Mrs. Kennedy" and "The Last Lecture" my mom just brought them with her (literally, she drove 2 hours to spend the weekend with me just to go book-hunting) for me to read because she enjoyed them so much, she wants me to read em. :0) I have a great mother.
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    None. But people are always borrowing videos from me. I have so many I should open a video rental store.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    "Dear Mrs. Kennedy" and "The Last Lecture" my mom just brought them with her (literally, she drove 2 hours to spend the weekend with me just to go book-hunting) for me to read because she enjoyed them so much, she wants me to read em. :0) I have a great mother.

The Last Lecture is mind blowing good...puts everything in perspective!
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Borrowed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from a friend my hubs works with. I carried it around in my car for months & neither of us saw him. I still have it.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I borrowed Murder by Numbers and Leverage season 3, from my mom. I just gave back MbyN, but I'm holding on to Leverage because I want to watch it again. *wink :wink: wink* Can you blame me? :love:
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    but I'm holding on to Leverage because I want to watch it again. *wink :wink: wink* Can you blame me? :love:

I've never seen Leverage. But I'm only saying that because it is Friday and I am reviving this topic.
    -wtk